PDA

View Full Version : OUCH!! My DS dropped the toilet lid on himself!

hallelujah
01-17-2008, 09:33 AM
My DS #1 just turned 4 yesterday. After returning home from Disney and getting ready to eat cake, DS went pee and next thing I hear is a horrible scream I have never heard before and DH takes off running. Then I hear, "Babe!" I prepare myself, so I won't pass out (I can handle poop and throw-up anyday, but when they hurt themselves..ugghh). Here comes the graphic part: Well, my poor DS' penis' tip turned very dark purple and looks almost to be a blood blister. I was asking DH if we should go to Urgent Care and he said, "No, it will be fine." After DS confirmed, "Mommy, it will be fine," I just brought the b-day presents out, and tried to take everyone's mind off of it. I was sitting here last night googling things like "Son smashed penis" and words similar, and I was not finding anything online that would let me know that another parent has gone through this situation (In fact, all of the sites were DEFINITELY not about parenting).
Has this happened to anyone else's DS? I'm just not sure if waiting around to see if it gets better is the right thing to do, but DH insists it is.

DDowning
01-17-2008, 01:09 PM
This happened to my brother when he was a little bit younger than your DS' is now. Without getting too graphic, the tip was severely damaged to the point of bleeding and my parents had to take him to the hospital. He could not urinate at all. To relieve himself, the doctors attached a bag by creating a hole to access the urinary tract. For a period of about 3 to 4 weeks, every night, my sister and I would hold him down while my mother inserted a catheter in his penis to ease healing. It was not pleasant nor fun. He is completely fine now and there was no last damage and he (thankfully) has no memory of it. It sounds like your DS did not have as severe an injury and likely will be fine.

Kungjo
01-17-2008, 02:13 PM
So sorry to hear what happened. Poor baby. Hope he's okay.

This doesn't help now, but have you thought of replacing the toilet seat? I have two girls and we just went and bought 4 toilet seats with the slow close lid because I worry about them picking up the lid and accidently smashing their fingers. The toilet seat and the lids are slow close. When you put the seat down, it's a slow descnt so there's no chance of DC smashing anything.

Hugs!

KrisM
01-17-2008, 02:41 PM
So sorry to hear what happened. Poor baby. Hope he's okay.

This doesn't help now, but have you thought of replacing the toilet seat? I have two girls and we just went and bought 4 toilet seats with the slow close lid because I worry about them picking up the lid and accidently smashing their fingers. The toilet seat and the lids are slow close. When you put the seat down, it's a slow descnt so there's no chance of DC smashing anything.

Hugs!

We've got those seats too. Home Depot has them for $20 or so.

I hope he's doing okay today! Poor little guy.

trentsmom
01-17-2008, 04:03 PM
Oh, poor DS! I hope everything heals quickly.

I have one of those slow-close lids, but I only got it because I thought it was cool. Never realized it could prevent injuries.

ciaobella
01-17-2008, 06:06 PM
It happened to my DS about 6 months ago. I called the on call doctor and he said that as long as he was urinating ok that he was not worried. It healed up just fine too.

I might look into the slow close lids because even after the accident he is not very careful!

Tondi G
01-17-2008, 08:03 PM
I know someone who's DS did this, not once but TWICE! He was fine. As long as your DS is urinating ok then he is gonna be ok. A little Motrin or Tylenol for a day or so will help with the pain and swelling!

I know they seem kinda cheesy but we have those padded seat toilet seats and they are not quite as heavy as the wooden ones. We have never had any issues with our boys and the seat falling on them... OUCH!

danagee
01-17-2008, 10:14 PM
DS did the same thing a few months ago. I saw it happen and it was just awful!
Amazingly, he was fine once he finished crying, no discoloration or problems urinating.

hallelujah
01-17-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the idea about the slow-closing toilet lid! Believe it or not, I did not even know you could buy just the lid-I thought it was a special toilet you had to buy to get that kind of lid. (Yeah, I seldom visit Home Depot or Lowe's, can't you tell?) DS is doing fine. He is still dark purple at the tip, but he has been urinating fine. I did hear the toilet lid slam down again today, and said,"I thought you were going to leave the lid up from now on." And he said,"But I didn't hurt myself this time." Hmmm...so I guess I'm off to buy some slow-closing toilet lids (or at least a padded lid/seat) tomorrow! Thanks again everyone!