PDA

View Full Version : Used crib sheet?

nlshultz
01-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Hi all,

Given the risk of SIDS, would you ever use a used crib sheet? My husband thinks it is fine, but given that everywhere (including BB) tells you to purchase a new mattress (which we will do for baby #2), I'm not sure if it's a wise idea or not.

Thoughts?

jerigirl
01-17-2008, 04:19 PM
Maybe I am mistaken, but I thought the worry on used mattresses was the firmness. That there are no soft spots for the baby to get "stuck" in and can not breathe adequately. In my opinion as long as a used sheet still fits snugly on the mattress, I don't think there is a problem. Especially if you are just passing it on to DC#2. However, if you are worried about it, just get a new one.

jeri

lwcain
01-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Personally, I wouldn't do it, except for among my own kids with my own stash. DS will take over DD's PNP and linens. DD will then get a new bed and new linens.

If you wanted to go the used route, then you should carefully consider the source of the items.

HTH!

SnuggleBuggles
01-17-2008, 05:34 PM
I can't see a problem at all. The logic (as I understand it) behind the mattress thing is that if baby spits up, pees or something else in the crib that moisture could get into the core of the mattress and mold spores could grow thus making the air not fresh.

I am reusing all the bedding from ds1 and never gave it a thought.

Beth

vludmilla
01-17-2008, 07:57 PM
ITA with Beth. I don't think there is any reason not to use used crib sheets. Even if the sheets aren't from a previous sibling I don't think there is a problem. If you're concerned about germs, wash and dry the sheet in hot water which would effectively kill anything of concern.

lwcain
01-17-2008, 10:06 PM
Nlshultz:

Were you thinking about reusing your own supply of crib sheets? Or are you debating over using crib sheets from someone outside of your family?

I noticed on Craigslist, that many people who are selling their cribs also offer to throw in the mattress and bedding as well. BBB poo-poos buying a used crib, and I would not take an outsider's mattress or bedding anyway.

HTH!