PDA

View Full Version : Stupid pullups!

casey0729
01-17-2008, 03:18 PM
I have discovered that pullups are far from absorbent. DS had a slight blowout and it ended up all out the back of his pants and all over the futon! So, spent the afternoon scrubbing that out. Good thing it has a cover that comes off! I am trying to ease DS into potty training. He doesn't mind wearing the pullups, he just has now ceased to inform me when he goes in them. He used to give me a running inventory of when he went while wearing diapers, but I think he feels scared/threatened by the pullups. So, after a week of pullups, we're taking a break for a few weeks and then maybe trying again. I just thought "we" were ready!

I can't do the straight to underwear route because my house is 90% carpets. Otherwise, he'd be running around free!

Anyway, here's hoping we have a poo-free furniture weekend.

gatorsmom
01-17-2008, 06:10 PM
If you want my pull-ups, you can have them. A year ago when we were pting Gator, we found that the pull-ups just complicate matters. Gator was confused because pull-ups feel like diapers- so he'd just go in them. But you are right- they are not absorbant at all. We have a lot of carpet too, so this became a problem.

I decided to try what many other mothers recommended- just put the underwear on them and have lots of towels ready. Also, get a potty chair out and have them sit on it every 20-30 minutes (set an alarm so that when it goes off they have to sit on the potty). Let them know they can sit on it as long as they like and if they put pee or poo in it they get m&ms. It will take a few days but it worked great for me and 2 other friends who pt'd their sons at the same time.Plan to limit your activities for about a week until this is well underway. Oh, and even if they get just a few drips in the potty make a big song and dance about it and give them a few m&ms. Works great.

oh, and I"m serious- if you want my pull-ups, I'll send them to you or meet you somewhere with them. I have a 12 qt bin full of them. darn things.

KrisM
01-17-2008, 06:30 PM
Naked worked much better than Pull Ups here. We are all carpet, except the kitchen. I just followed him around the best I could and dashed him to the potty. After he was PT'd, we had the carpets cleaned. After the final kid is trained, we'll likely be ready for new carpets anyway.

BeachBum
01-18-2008, 09:49 AM
... we found that the pull-ups just complicate matters. Gator was confused because pull-ups feel like diapers- so he'd just go in them. ...

I decided to try what many other mothers recommended- just put the underwear on them and have lots of towels ready. Also, get a potty chair out and have them sit on it every 20-30 minutes (set an alarm so that when it goes off they have to sit on the potty). Let them know they can sit on it as long as they like and if they put pee or poo in it they get m&ms. It will take a few days but it worked great for me and 2 other friends who pt'd their sons at the same time.Plan to limit your activities for about a week until this is well underway. Oh, and even if they get just a few drips in the potty make a big song and dance about it and give them a few m&ms. Works great.

I just wanted to echo this. On the first few days I pumped my kiddo full of liquids (juice that was a real treat). We did the timer too and it was great. It took the power out of the equation--it wasn't mommy saying to go.
Also we just didn't have many (any?) wet spots on the carpet or furniture. We used training pants and clothes. Most of the time when he started to go, he understood and ran to the potty.

JBaxter
01-18-2008, 09:57 AM
IMO pull ups hinder potty training MUCH more than they help. We only used pull ups for naps and nights.
I have 3 boys and always had carpet there were a few accidents but nothing Natures Miricle didnt fix.

casey0729
01-18-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks for all the input ladies, most of the Mamas I know have wood floors and haven't had the worry. I will try the underwear on Monday and just follow him around.

Lisa, I stupidly bought a big case of pullups at Costco in anticipation of pting and I don't think I will be able to even go through this one. Thanks for the offer though!

TonFirst
01-18-2008, 03:25 PM
Second, you can return the unused Pullups to Costco - that's the glory of that store!

Second, I totally agree that to potty train, you've got to ditch the pullups, but if carpets are an issue, you may want to try the Gerber training underpants. They're cotton and look like regular underpants, but they're more absorbent in the crotch area, so while your child will immediately feel that they've started to pee, the absorbency saves the floors. You can buy them at Target - they're awesome.

casey0729
01-18-2008, 04:39 PM
I actually bought those a while ago so that's what I will be using. Good to know they're pretty absorbent!

I figure that we'll use the rest of the pullups at night once we start to pt. DS gave up his nap in October :banghead: so I guess we won't have to worry about that.