PDA

View Full Version : What should we name our new dog?

cmo
01-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Yesterday, we adopted a 3 year old dog from a nearby shelter! Our last dog was with us for 12+ years before he died last year. We were ready for a new furry friend to join our family!

There is a great debate about what his name should be, and I don't think we have quite hit upon the right one yet, so any suggestions are welcome. There is only one rule: it has to be a name so that, if the dog was lost and we had to walk around the neighborhood calling for him, we wouldn't feel silly calling out his name again and again. So, names like Fluffy and Goober won't work! I like names that have a natural nickname, like Ronnie/Ronald, and Eddie/Edwin.

He is a cockapoo mix, medium sized at around 30 lbs., mostly black with a little white on the snout and chest. (I tried to attach a photo, hope it works!)

Many thanks,
Chris & family

elektra
01-17-2008, 07:54 PM
The first name I thought of when I saw the pic was Snoopy. Although that might qualify as too silly, not sure!
Maybe Harry? Do your kids like Harry Potter?

Tondi G
01-17-2008, 07:55 PM
Awww he's cute! CONGRATS and good for you for adopting rather than going the puppy route!

Names are hard aren't they! Here are some Pet names I know of

Charlie
Joey
Bailey
Sam
Frankie
Billy
Vinny
Jack
Jake
Harold
Marley
Darwin
Buddy

Good Luck with your decision!

momtoonegirl
01-17-2008, 08:03 PM
Cute dog!

How about Jackson for a name? It was the first name that popped into my head when I saw your dog's picture.

Good luck! :)

Marisa6826
01-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Wilson and Bentley were the first two names that immediately came to mind when I saw his picture. He's awesome, btw!! :)

Keep us posted and congrats. Good on you for getting a shelter dog. I truly think they realise how lucky they are. They have a way of showing how grateful they are for having a new home and family. :)

-m

buddyleebaby
01-17-2008, 09:13 PM
I think he looks like a Mickey. Mick for short.

Corie
01-17-2008, 09:21 PM
First name that popped in my head when I saw him
was Theodore (Teddy). He looks very presidential to me. :)

Maybe even Truman. No nickname for this one.

Jefferson
Monroe
Franklin
Harrison

Clarity
01-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Aww, except for the curly fur, he looks quite a bit like my old spaniel/beagle mix that I lost last year. His name was Smokey. He was a good darn dog. *snif* I miss him.

I liked Harry, and Wilson too....and Sam or Teddy might work. You could name him Benny or Ben. He looks like a good Benny! Or Moe. Or Jett,
Even better! I went here: http://www.babynamesworld.com/meaning-search.html and typed in "black" and got all kinds of fun names that in have "black" in the meaning. Branduff, or Doolish, or Chogun. Then I tried "Curly" and got names like Cassidy, and Crispus.
Here's to years of enjoyment with your new dog! Let us know what you pick!

wendmatt
01-17-2008, 09:42 PM
He's terribly cute. I saw him and thought Fred.

Jen841
01-17-2008, 10:43 PM
Wrigley
Snickers
Winston
Winslow
Daisy
Ditto (dog we had after Daisy, very similar personalities)
Spanky
Stanley
Kirby
Hoover

bubbaray
01-17-2008, 10:44 PM
The first name I thought of when I saw the pic was Snoopy.

Isn't that funny -- me too! He totally looks like a Snoopy to me!! :)

Momof3Labs
01-18-2008, 12:29 AM
He's adorable!! What a lucky boy to find his forever family!

Baxter jumped into my mind when I saw his picture.

Kyras mom
01-18-2008, 04:17 AM
The first name I thought of was Sammy.

As others mentioned, Vinny and Wilson are good ones.

Corie
01-20-2008, 03:50 PM
Did you make a decision about your dog's name?

I'm curious! :)

cmo
01-20-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm a little embarrassed to say that we still haven't come to a concensus! Then again, it shouldn't come as too much of a surprise as it took us a long time to decide on each of our DC's names (though we did have a name by the time they were born!).

Everyone had great suggestions and it helped get the creative thoughts flowing, so thank you very much! We have narrowed it down to: Jerry, Billy, or Pablo.

He WILL have a name this week!

lizajane
01-20-2008, 05:30 PM
ok, i know you said you have already narrowed it down but i have to say that dog is SO "Charlie" to me!!! my other suggestion is tucker- that is our chocolate lab's name. tuck is nice short version.

of the three you mentioned, pablo stands out when i see him. but it seems like kinda a hard name to call a dog. as in, "SIT, Pablo!" or "NO, Pablo, BAD DOG!" or "c'mon pablo! c'mon inside! good boy, pablo!"