PDA

View Full Version : Is there anything that can help with heavy AF?

veronica
01-18-2008, 10:47 AM
I just started the pill in hopes that my heavy flow will be curbed (I'm talking 3 days of super plus tampons changed every 1 1/2 hours!). Since I was a kid, my flow has always been heavy so this is nothing new but I spent almost 12 years on Depo Provera with no periods and went right into having kids and nursing so this is my first time with regular periods again. We want more children in about 2-3 years and the side effects of depo aren't something I am considering again!

But, here I am on the pill and already two weeks into it and am having breakthrough bleeding (I took one year off of depo and went on the pill years ago and suffered through the same thing so went back on depo then). DH can work around birth control so really the only reason I am on the pill is for the flow and I feel so "drugged" knowing that I am pumping myself of hormones but the flow issue is tremendous and I would love to know if I have any other choices.

o_mom
01-18-2008, 11:24 AM
Mirena IUD?

I have one, but I haven't had a PP AF yet, so I can't comment on the lighter AF. I did have about 2 months of spotting when it was put in, but if you can get through the 2-4 months with spotting it is supposed to make AF much lighter (or even gone).

SnuggleBuggles
01-18-2008, 11:37 AM
I was going to say Mirena too. I don't have it (I have the copper IUD) but I have heard good things.

Beth

Jenn30
01-18-2008, 04:05 PM
I've had heavy AF all my life, and the NuvaRing really helped. I was looking for something more short term than IUD though. After DS 2 (due in June), I plan to try the IUD. NuvaRing was also a lot better than BC pills for me, because it has lower hormones. The hormones really seem to mess with my head.

kijip
01-18-2008, 04:47 PM
I had a Mirena in for a year. It really lightened my periods. Way less side effects than Depo IME.

lizajane
01-18-2008, 04:50 PM
another vote for mirena. i just ordered mine!! can't speak from personal experience, but what i hear is that after the insertion spotting, you have little to no AF. it should not affect fertility at all- you just have it removed, wait one month and then start trying.