PDA

View Full Version : Questions about 5 yr old immunizations?

JustMe
01-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Dd turns 5 next month. She has had all of her previous immunizations on time. However, when I called her dr's office it seemed like they rattled off several that she will be due for. Have people who do immunize had these all done at once or have you had them split up at all. Also, does anyone know if there is a reason to delay the appt until it is closer to next Fall when she will start Kindergarten? Will there be anything additional that she will need at that point based on your experience?

Thanks,

o_mom
01-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Typically at 4-6 years they get MMR, Chicken Pox, DTaP and Polio. Depending on your state, some or all of these are required for school unless you file an exemption (medical, philosophical or religious).

You can always do one or two and then come back just to see the nurse for the remainder if you don't want to do them all at once. You can also file an exemption for the school and then do them on whatever schedule you want (unless you are in MS or WV which don't allow religious/phil exemptions).

egoldber
01-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Most peds will do all that is required to start school at the 5 year appointment (or at the 4 year depending on the school cut off in your area). Our state requires a TB test as well as being current on all vax. Frankly the TB test was WAY worse (in Sarah's opinion) than any of the vax!

SnuggleBuggles
01-18-2008, 01:37 PM
We did all that were mentioned above except chicken pox. I decided that could wait (in hindsight we should have just done it if we were going to do it at all so there'd be no shots next year). Ds found the MMR to be incredibly painful. They did it as a subcutaneous shot (I'm pretty sure that's what she said). Go in to it prepared that that one can be really ouchy. No TB test here.

Beth