PDA

View Full Version : Unprepared for sledding & snow! Help!

cmo
01-18-2008, 09:29 PM
We live in Georgia, where it snows maybe a dusting every other year. But, tomorrow it is supposed to snow for most of the day, so the latent midwesterner in me thinks that the kiddos would really enjoy a little sledding of some sort. However, I can hardly remember seeing any kind of sled, toboggan, or saucer for sale in the 14 years since I have lived here (and for good reason!).

Is there anything we might have around the house that we could improvise with and get the one-or-two day sledding experience?! I don't know that we will even be able to get out of the house to buy anything this weekend, as we live at the bottom of a hill with a downhill driveway. :-)

Many thanks,
Chris

ellies mom
01-18-2008, 09:32 PM
Cardboard? The snow needs to be packed down a bit more but it works in a pinch.

trentsmom
01-18-2008, 09:35 PM
Trash bags? Cookie sheets? I think those were what we used in college when there was snow. I would say cafeteria trays, but I'm guessing you don't have a large stack of those around your house! Your kids might just want to roll down a hill. That's what DS spent a lot of time doing yesterday.

elaineandmichaelsmommy
01-18-2008, 10:00 PM
If they're clean enough you could use the tops to your trashcans. I'm thinking about the tops to the rubbermaid ones that are flat on top and have handles on the sides. Do you have any inner tubes left from summer that you'd be willing to sacrafice? Have fun.

Gena
01-18-2008, 10:05 PM
For general snow play, a lot of sand toys work really well. Pails, shovels, sand molds, and dump trucks are all great snow toys. My son loves shoveling snow into his dump truck and dumping it out.

Blowing bubbles can be fun too. They freeze and you can catch them.

For sleds, I agree that cookie sheets work well, if your kids are old enough to maintain balance.

KrisM
01-18-2008, 10:13 PM
Trash bags? Cookie sheets? I think those were what we used in college when there was snow. I would say cafeteria trays, but I'm guessing you don't have a large stack of those around your house! Your kids might just want to roll down a hill. That's what DS spent a lot of time doing yesterday.

I was thinking cafeteria trays too. :)

How about a laundry basket?

Or a cookie sheet? You'd have to spray it with Pam or other oil, like you do a shovel (well, you probably don't in Georgia!), but I think it might work.

tylersmama
01-18-2008, 11:52 PM
Sounds like a lot of us went "traying" in college. :ROTFLMAO: Good times!