PDA

View Full Version : Why is my toddler blinking funny?

kimbe
01-18-2008, 09:34 PM
Yesterday we noticed that our 2 1/2 year old started "blinking" funny. When she blinks, she closes her eyes for longer than a normal blink. So instead of a blink it is more like she is closing her eyes. (If that makes sense.) She does it all day long. When we ask her why she's doing it, she says that she isn't doing anything. Once she said that she was looking at herself??? When we ask her if her eyes or head hurt she says no. Nothing has changed environment wise -- heats is on the same amount. If I had to guess I would probably say it is allergies or maybe she got soap in her eyes and it still hurts or maybe got something in her eye.

Any insight? I am soooo tired of worrying about these things. I am going to have two ulcers that go by the name of DD and DS here pretty soon.

TIA for your help!

janeybwild
01-18-2008, 10:09 PM
My 2 1/4 year old did this for about 2 weeks. My research, and our ped, both said it was a normal transition phase. Sort of like some systems going offline before new ones come on board: there is likley a big cognitive leap coming. As much as you can, try to complelty ignore it. Mentioning it can make her self conscious and cause a problem. If not gone within a month, then perhaps see someone. You may notice it more when she is tired. Let me know if you need more info :)

kimbe
01-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Wow, that is amazing. Thank you so much. I would love more info if you have a chance. I love reading about things like that --- just makes me appreciate the human body even more. I really hope that she is doing it for the reason you said. I am interested to see if there is a leap in the future. Thanks again.

kochh2
01-19-2008, 12:20 PM
Our DS was doing it last winter as well-- He never had any explanation for it either, and So we took him for an eye exam with a pedi developmental optho, and the verdict was that his eyesight is BETER than 20/20 :) and that he is suffering from dry eyes, most likely brought on BY the heat. We were given eyedrops, which he refused every time after having eye drops put in that dilated his pupils... i couldn't explain that these were not "*those** eyedrops... then, he did let me put them in a few times, but as it was not life threatening, i decided to choose other battles, and let him come to me for eye drops only if he chose to do so!! DS was 2.5 last winter!!

kimbe
01-19-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks for your reply. The winter and heat being on make me suspicious too. We are heading to the eye doctor in a month anyway for a regular checkup, but you guys are making me worry less! Thanks!