PDA

View Full Version : Stupid stubborn doctor

LarsMal
01-18-2008, 11:22 PM
Just another chapter in my ongoing drama...read or don't read...I'm just typing this for my own mental health!!!

So, after three weeks on prednisone, which my derm said would "knock out" the rashy issues on my face (which it didn't), I was weaning off the pred and flared back up. I've done a TON of research online and based on all of the signs, symptoms, and knowing my body, I am convinced what has happened to my face is BECAUSE of the steroids. It started with topical and has just progressively gotten worse. There is something called steroid-induced rosacea, and I fit the signs/symptoms to a tee.

I went to see my derm, again, today. She was pretty shocked to see my face in such bad shape. I asked her again if it was from the steroids, and could it be steroid rosacea. She basically said- Well, if today was the first time I had ever seen you, I would say you have rosacea, but I've been seeing you since August, and it didn't start out like this. UM....HELLO...I know it didn't start out like this, it's become this b/c of all the steroids. Grrr....so she cut into my face not once, but twice for two more biopsies. She did agree to let me try the rosacea treatment, but I think she gave me too low a dose of the meds for it to really do anything anytime soon. Meanwhile she's throwing around all these possible diseases, a lot of which I've already been tested for and ruled out.

What pisses me off is that this is only happening on my face, and only in the places where I had previously put the topical steroids. Why won't she just admit that's what happened? She even said at one point, "I'm glad I'm seeing you 15 years into my career, not my first year, or I'd be so worried that I did this to you." NICE...

I'd love to find another derm, but all the ones I called can't get me in until the summer. I need to string her along for meds and stuff until then. I just hope I'm on the right track now and we can finally figure out what's going on.

Meanwhile, I'm visiting my parents this weekend (and handn't put any make up on after my visit). My brother walks in the door and the first thing he said was, "Whao, what happened to you? Your face is all blotchy". No sh*t, Sherlock! I'm going to wear a paper bag on my head until they figure this out.

Okay, enough therapy. If you got to the end of this rant, thanks for reading!

gatorsmom
01-19-2008, 12:09 AM
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I remember you posting about your frustration nearly a year ago. I had acne in high school so I have some idea of what you are going through. If you made appointments with some new derms, hope they can get you the help you need.

JoyNChrist
01-19-2008, 12:21 AM
(((HUGS)))

I was actually thinking about you just the other day and wondering how all your health stuff was going. Between the food allergies with the kids and the stuff going on with your face, I'm sure you've had enough! I really hope things improve soon.

And shame on your brother! Next time someone says something insensitive, ask them how they think their face would look with two black eyes!

hellokitty
01-19-2008, 09:45 AM
I'm sorry that your doctor is so clueless. If I were you I would call other derm's office and tell them that if possible you would like to be, "on call" for any possible cancellation of appts to fill in. They might be able to squeeze you in this way. I just think that your derm is a fidiot. I have a strong suspicion that the steroids also caused your rash, I think your doc is trying to avoid being held responsible, so she is trying to find other excuses to cover her butt.

ThreeofUs
01-19-2008, 10:54 AM
J, I'd find another dermatologist and get the heck off the drugs. Sounds like your current doc is trying to treat symptoms and making things worse by overdosing and insensitivity.

Just mho, o'course, but I've seen this happen over and over again with docs who think they have the one-size-fits-all cure and blame their patients for not responding, instead of blaming their shoddy practices.

I'm so sorry you're going through this!