PDA

View Full Version : IDSO a deal on convertible carseat

eska
01-19-2008, 02:31 PM
I am going back to work, and I need a second carseat for DH's car, so that he can help with drop-off and pick-up. We have a Britax Decathalon in my car, but I don't want to spend so much on this second seat. I am leaning toward the Safety One 3-in-1. My parents got it a few months ago, and were happy with it when we visited over Thanksgiving. It's $139 at Burlington. Is there a better deal out there? I need to get it within a week, so online is still an option. DS is 2, but he's really small (still wearing 18 mos clothes), around 26 lbs.

JBaxter
01-19-2008, 04:56 PM
Check the car seat forum but I think that kids get to tall for those seats way before they grow out in weight then you have to use the belt positioning portion before they are mature enough

Have you looked at the Scenera? They are good basic seats that you can keep rear facing to 35lbs40) & ff and Walmart & Kmart has them for 43.74.

Most stores have them instock http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5716972

all together ooky
01-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Try to avoid the 3-in-1. There are better options for less money.
How about the Evenflo Triumph Advance. It rear-faces to 35lbs and forward faces to 50lb and will last as long as the large Britax convertible seats. Retails for around $140. Available at most Walmarts, Targets, and BRUs.

o_mom
01-19-2008, 10:55 PM
For that money, the Evenflo Triumph Advance would be a better choice as it will last much longer. The top usable harness position on the 3-in-1 seats is fairly low and even small kids usually outgrow it before they are ready for a booster. The top slots of the EFTA are similar to your Decathlon.

You could also go with a Scenera for $40 now and later when he outgrows that, look at a Graco Nautilus ($149) - harness to 65 lbs, taller than the Decathlon and becomes a booster later.

eska
01-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks Ladies... Now I am thinking of just going lower in price, like below $100. I am thinking of the Graco ComfortSport. I figure that since it's going to be for DH's car, DS will only ride in it 2.5 miles to or from daycare, maybe 2-3 times a week. We'll still use my car with the Britax as our main/family car. I've seen the ComfortSport go from 69.99 to 119.99, and read in the Baby Bargains book that the more you spend on these, the better the padding. There's a 15% off coupon floating around for BRU, I may just check them out there today.

schums
01-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Do NOT buy the comfortsport. It is really short, so DC will outgrow is WAY before he's ready for a booster. My (largish) DC were both out of the comfortsport by 2 or so, and I had to go buy another seat. YUCK! Plus, the straps are super twisty and horrid. Seriously, go to Walmart/BRU/Target and get the Scenera. Still not Britax, but better, and it's cheaper too (~$40).

GL,

missym
01-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Another vote for the Scenera. We've been very happy with ours for DH's car.

o_mom
01-21-2008, 12:47 PM
Run screaming from the ComfortSport!!! It is really short - my DS1 was 15th percentile in height at his 2 yr check up and outgrew it less than a month later at 24 months old. It is impossible to adjust while rear-facing and generally not worth the money.

The Scenera ($40) has been great for us as a second seat. The Safety1st Uptown ($99) is slightly taller, will last a bit longer (still only a 40 lb seat) and more padded.

Jen841
01-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Love ours! Grandma has one too. It is our travel carseat, nice and lightweight for when I travel with the 2 myself. It also lives in DH's car.

Bought it for around $40 at TRU, could have bought cheaper but DH liked the pattern better at TRU to match his new car LOL.

kellybelly0513
01-21-2008, 02:26 PM
Wow, I am surprised that people were unhappy with the Comfortsport. We have one and love it. My daughter just turned 4, and still fits in the seat. Although she is a little small for her age at about 37" I think it is a great seat, unless you have a very tall child.

o_mom
01-21-2008, 04:39 PM
Wow, I am surprised that people were unhappy with the Comfortsport. We have one and love it. My daughter just turned 4, and still fits in the seat. Although she is a little small for her age at about 37" I think it is a great seat, unless you have a very tall child.

My 38" DS hasn't fit in it for over 2 years. I know at least two other people IRL whos children outgrew it before age 3 (all by height, shoulders over the top slot, all of them average or below average height for their age). While not every child will have that problem, I have seen enough 2 and 3 yos outgrow it that it is hard to recommend when there are several seats which cost the same or less and will last longer for almost all kids.

eska
01-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Oh you've guys have freaked me out about the ComfortSport! I did get it at BRU this afternoon, but it's going back. I am going to Target to get the Scenera.

I don't know what I would do without this board!

MMMommy
01-21-2008, 08:08 PM
I second the Scenera. We bought two of them for DD1 and DD2 for travel (airplane and to use in the rental car on our trip), and now we use it in my parents' car. They work just fine and are very economical.