PDA

View Full Version : LATCH Question - 2008 Camry

babystuffbuff
01-20-2008, 12:09 AM
I'm considering exchanging my 2001 Camry for a new '08 (soooooo pretty!). I went for a test-drive today and the salesman said there were LATCH anchors for three seats in the back, but I could only find two sets, both outboard. As far as I know, "sharing" anchors is a big no-no - right? So how could I use LATCH with 3 seats (assuming I could fit 3 in a row)? Of course the guy had no more info, and neither the Toyota site nor Edmunds mention anything other than "rear seat lower anchors and top tether brackets". Argh.

I'm going to be buying this as my car to have until I either run it into the ground or the kiddo count gets high enough that we need something bigger, so I'd like to know about the LATCH options beforehand. (Oh, and anything great anyone has to say about the safety features would be nice as well, to convince DH it's a good idea......more airbags = safer for baby??? Or something?)

TIA

Sarah

bubbaray
01-20-2008, 12:37 AM
I would ask the salesman to show you the 3 LATCH anchors across the back. I've heard that Honda Accords now have 3 LATCH positions, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Camry did now too. As far as I know, Toyota doesn't allow sharing of LATCH anchors. You would want to confirm that with Toyota USA I think -- I wouldn't rely on a salesman's word. He might also be confused, there might just be top tether anchors 3 across, but now lower anchors for the seat, so the middle seat is installed with belts. No biggie, really. Assuming you can get 3 seats across. Not gonna happen with 3 Regents, but you should be able to get 3 Radians across. Kinda depends what your setup will be.

801kelle
01-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Here is some links that might help answer your questions:

http://www.saferidenews.com/html/LATCH_P49.htm

http://www.saferidenews.com/pdfs/LATCHApp_B_pg105.pdf

Joolsplus2
01-20-2008, 01:45 PM
No, Accords don't have three positions, either (the person who said that was mistaken...)
As far as I know, you still must use the seatbelt for the center installation (there are 2 complete LATCH systems, outboard, and just a top tether in the center for use with the seatbelt and a forward facing carseat). It's entirely possible that the center is now approved, but the manual would have to be pretty clear on that (showing a picture of a child seat installed there with LATCH) for you to trust it's ok.

:)

codex57
01-24-2008, 06:05 PM
We have an 08 Lexus ES350. Same car basically. Only has Latch on the outboards. My neighbor has the new Camry so I'll try and check if I can catch him, but it should be the same as our Lexus.

bubbaray
01-24-2008, 06:21 PM
No, Accords don't have three positions, either (the person who said that was mistaken...)

:)

This was talked about a few times before the board was changed. I *think* this is the thread where it talked about the '07 Accords having 6 LATCH anchors across the back, at least in some models:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=182614&highlight=accord

Scroll down, its post #8

My friend's mom just bought a new Honda. Her 2007 Honda Accord has 6 Latch Anchors. You can Latch in the center on at least some 2007 Accord models. Best to check the manual.

Joolsplus2
01-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Ah, well, if you can count 6, it's all good. (LATCH manual might be wrong...it happens...)

bubbaray
01-24-2008, 06:57 PM
No, not me -- I was just quoting from that prior thread.

But I do remember it being talked about in a couple different threads before the *big change*....

babystuffbuff
01-24-2008, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the input!

I always take the word of car salesmen with a boulder of salt when it comes to carseat stuff; I'm glad I double-checked here.

kristenk
01-25-2008, 11:59 AM
I think car salesmen sometimes confuse top tethers, lower anchors, and LATCH in general. My 2007 Camry has two sets of lower anchors (outboard) and three top tethers.

I had a difficult time at first figuring out exactly what was there, b/c one salesman kept insisting on LATCH for all 3 positions in the backseat. I had to check the car's manual to see what it really had.

codex57
01-25-2008, 02:12 PM
I think car salesmen sometimes confuse top tethers, lower anchors, and LATCH in general. My 2007 Camry has two sets of lower anchors (outboard) and three top tethers.

I had a difficult time at first figuring out exactly what was there, b/c one salesman kept insisting on LATCH for all 3 positions in the backseat. I had to check the car's manual to see what it really had.

The 08 Camry should be the same as yours, right? I believe 2007 is when the current model Camry came out. So the OP should have her answer now.