PDA

View Full Version : Children's cookbooks?

cmdnewton
01-21-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi - Does anyone have any suggestions for cookbooks appropriate for 6 years olds and for 8 year olds? I am working on gifts for my nieces and I was thinking personalized aprons and cookbooks. Thanks!

Puddy73
01-21-2008, 05:54 PM
We love the "Salad People" cookbook by Mollie Katzen. The recipes are easy, yummy and relatively healthy. Disney's Family Cookbook and Family Fun Cooking with Kids are good ones, too.

SnuggleBuggles
01-21-2008, 07:24 PM
I second the Family Fun cookbooks. I really like them. I am not a fan of Rachel Ray's Cooking with Kids' cookbook. I used to like the Better Homes and Gardens' New Junior Cookbook when I was little. There is an updated version of it out now.
http://www.amazon.com/Junior-Cookbook-Better-Gardens-Kitchen/dp/0696220008/ref=pd_sim_b_img_4

I don't have this Williams Sonoma cookbook but I have one of their baking with kids' cookbooks and it is really nice. Good visual instructions.
http://www.amazon.com/William-Sonoma-Cookbook-Great-Williams-Sonoma-Lifestyles/dp/0848726073/ref=pd_sim_b_img_6

Beth

SASM
01-23-2008, 01:11 AM
I also recommend the Family Fun Cookbook. I do not have a 6 or 8 yo but it look like a nice cookbook that I'll definiltey use with my kids before those ages. :)

How about a personalized apron, fun silicone "spoonula", measuring spoons, and No Pudge brownie mix? This is a favorite gift of mine now. :) I believe that you can get the gadgets at the Dollar Spot in Target right now.

hellokitty
01-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Usborne offers a lot of nice children's cook books. I like them, b/c they have step by step pictures, so they are very easy to follow.

o_mom
01-23-2008, 10:07 AM
I like the Salad People and Pretend Soup ones, I think the same author has one for older kids, too.

For personalized aprons, Williams Sonoma has some cheap:
1. Go to the website and add anything to the cart (you don't have to buy the item)
2. Go to your basket and at the bottom will be "special offers"
3. Click "more special offers" to scroll through all the offers
4. Add the special offer to your basket and remove the item you put in in step 1.

There are Kid's aprons for $6.99-$7.99. Even the ones that say "plain" if you click on the item gives you an option for personallized. Shipping is kind of high, but we have some of these and they are great. Perfect size for those ages (they are big on my 4.5 yo).

shishamo
01-23-2008, 11:56 AM
My 8 and almost 6 year olds really love salad people and pretend soup (my 3 year old too). We just got them as gifts few weeks ago, and we've been making quite a few recipes.

drsweetie
01-24-2008, 09:55 AM
This is an oldie, but I have had the book "Love at First Bite" by Jane Cooper since I was a kid and still use it to this day. None of the recipes require an oven or stove and most of them tend to be on the healthy side. The book might be hard to find but it's worth looking into:

http://www.amazon.com/Love-First-Bite-Snacks-Mealtime/dp/0394833996/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201182802&sr=1-7

Ellen