PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about contacting an ex co-worker who is getting divorced

JustMe
01-22-2008, 01:00 AM
Coincidentally one of dd's friends lived next door to an old co-worker of mine. The co-worker and I were friends when we worked together, but the sort of friends that mostly connected at some point during the workday although we did do a few things outside of work. I really enjoyed her friendship, but we did not really keep in touch once we stopped working together. Dd's friend's mother has shared with me that this co-worker/friend is getting a divorce. Just before the holidays I called dd's friend's mother to arrange a playdate and my old co-worker/friend was there (I hope this makes some sense). She asked to speak to me, and we chatted briefly and agreed to call each other to get together. I waited for the holidays to be over, and now would like to call her.

I feel kind of stuck though...I am the kind of person who doesn't really feel comfortable talking on the phone too much to somene I haven't connected with in a long time...Where would I start? I mean, "How are you?" seems like a loaded question in this circumstance. I don't have any other contact info for her other than her phone number (no e-mail address or anything and she has since moved from living next door to dd's friend as she and her ex have moved into their own places). So, what do I say when I call her? Part of what is tricky is that I did not have dd when we worked together and she does not have kids, so I don't even know what to suggest as far as getting together.

Any ideas or advice?

Thanks

Jenny_A
01-22-2008, 11:00 AM
I would just start with "How are you?" and just be genuine about it. I doubt if she expects anything from you and she could probably just use a good friend right now. I would suggest maybe getting together for lunch maybe at a kid friendly restaurant or see if you can find childcare for a couple of hours and meet her for a meal or coffee. Basically just be yourself.

Jenny