PDA

View Full Version : diaper advice for dealing with blowouts?

RachelDKT
01-22-2008, 12:31 PM
We've been using Seventh Generation diapers with our 8 week old, and were happy with them at first. However, DD tends to poop a lot in the AM at one go (and then not as much the rest of the day), and the diapers have been leaking. Going up a size helped a bit, but I still had a leak this AM an hour after she was changed. Any recommendations? Do people use different diapers for different times of the day?

Wife_and_mommy
01-22-2008, 01:11 PM
Unfortunately, I don't know of any diaper that will 100% contain a blowout worthy poop, lol. You could make sure you're putting the dipe on snugly so there's less chance of it. I did that with ds this weekend when he had a stomach bug: diahrrea 8 times a day--so not fun.

hellokitty
01-22-2008, 01:56 PM
The only thing I can suggest is to make sure the gussets are all spread out and not stuck to the diaper. Otherwise, disposable diapers are notorious for poop blowouts. I have found that funny enough, we only had poop blowouts when we used sposies, but when we used cloth diapers, we never had blowouts. Even my DH noticed it too.

elektra
01-22-2008, 02:44 PM
With DD, she would always have blowouts up her back at that age. Pampers were a bit better than Huggies since the absorbency went all the way to the edge of the diaper. But I think since DD was only getting breast milk at that time, her poops were just really runny and nothing could contain them! Eventually things got better, even with BM only, but we just waited it out in our house.

KrisM
01-23-2008, 01:33 PM
We've only had a small handful of blowouts using cloth. When they were in sposies, we had many more. So, you could switch to cloth. Or, if that doesn't interest you, you could add a cloth cover over the sposie and it would likely contain more of the mess than just the paper diaper.

jhrabosk
01-23-2008, 02:11 PM
ITA...we had a lot of blowouts at that age as well.

My DH maintains that blowouts are more likely to happen the more wet the diaper is. How about changing more frequently in the AM so that the poop is more likely to be in a fresh diaper?

all together ooky
01-23-2008, 02:18 PM
We never had blowouts but we used cloth.
I'd suggest getting some pull-on diaper covers to go over the diaper. You can get them at BRU.

RachelDKT
01-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Cloth isn't really an option--we don't have our own laundry facilities. but putting a cloth diaper over is a good idea.

buddyleebaby
01-24-2008, 01:48 AM
If you are sure that the size is correct, I would experiment with another brand.

I loved swaddlers with my first- LOVED them. I tried them for my second and it was blow-outpalooza. They just didn't fit her the right way. We switched to huggies and it solved the problem (mostly).
I don't think that there was anything wrong with the swaddlers, they were just not the right shape for *my* baby.

ha98ed14
01-25-2008, 03:38 AM
I might just be lucky, but I have never had a blowout-up-the-back experience. (The worst I have is she puts her foot in it mid-change.) We started with pampers swaddlers (from baby shower) and LOVED them. Great fit for DD. When we ran out of shower dipes and had to buy our own, I bought and used Kirkland, Huggies, and Sams's Club brand (Member's Mark) in that order. But for us, Pampers are the best we've found. Maybe ive 'em a try. I buy them at Sam's, so that helps a little with the cost.

rocklobster
01-26-2008, 02:09 PM
We've only had a small handful of blowouts using cloth. When they were in sposies, we had many more. So, you could switch to cloth. Or, if that doesn't interest you, you could add a cloth cover over the sposie and it would likely contain more of the mess than just the paper diaper.
:yeahthat:

Imse Vimse Covers (http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=161) Thirsties Covers (http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=216)and both have leg gussets and elastic at the top that would keep the poop from running everywhere.