PDA

View Full Version : Ugh- rude lady @ Target- would you have said anything?

JTsMom
01-22-2008, 06:25 PM
So here's my silly little vent. DS and I just went to Target to pick up a couple of random things. Usually, I'm pulling my hair out by the end of our trips there, but this time DS was practically a saint, and I got everything I needed, and headed to the register, happy as a clam that there were no meltdowns.

Theree were only 2 lanes open, 1 of which was express. The regular lane had 2 customers, one of whom had approximately 8 million items, so I headed to express- I had 5 or 6 items.

Meanwhile, rude lady comes running through the middle of the lanes to jump in front of me. With her 20 or so things. In the 10 items or less lane.

Yeah.

So, I blow it off- no big deal. Thought about saying something, but I figured it wasn't worth the hassle, especially since the other line was so long.

Then she starts sifting through her basket, discarding crap all over the candy area and stuff, taking up the whole belt, etc.

Then she starts examining EVERY SINGLE THING as the cashier rings it up- like it just then occured to her to decide if she'd want these items or not.

Finally, she finishes.

And then leaves her basket right there in the middle of the floor, where there is no possible way for me to get my cart around it, without shoving it along.

:32:

Do you say something to people like this, or do you just come here and vent? LOL Part of me thinks if I would have said something (it would have been mild, it's not like I would have gone crazy on her or anything), maybe she'd have a little consideration in the future, but the other part of me thinks people like this know how they are, just don't care, and won't change anyway.

ellies mom
01-22-2008, 06:40 PM
People like that aren't going to change. Saying something only gives them the chance to further demonstrate how rude they are. I usually just raise my eyebrows at them and then vent later.

g-mama
01-22-2008, 06:49 PM
I agree. She knows she's a rude beeyotch and doesn't care. I agree w/ pp - if you'd said anything, she would've directed her rudeness *at* you and do you really want to get into a verbal altercation with her? That's the kind of thing that would have me seething all day though!

ThreeofUs
01-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Oh, gosh, I would have been dying to say something!

Honestly, though, DS would probably have noticed and loudly asked why the lady did that. I *love* it, because then I can gently explain that some people don't show consideration for other people. This seriously embarasses most social offenders; they generally seem to be ashamed that a little one would catch them acting rudely.

But I'm always laughing inside when he does this, because he's so serious about it and the situation is just so funny.

elektra
01-22-2008, 08:20 PM
I usually just mutter something to the person next to me instead of confronting the offender.
I did actually say something like that to someone once- I was at the DMV, and the way they had it set up there was one main line that fed into about 8 individual windows. There were not 8 individual lines.
So I had been waiting in the line with about 20 other people, when someone walks in, looks at the long line, and the proceeds to walk straight up to one of the 8 windows where someone had just happened to finish up with the DMV person. No one in line said a thing, even though the person who had just walked in had basically cut in front of all of us! So I finally said, "Excuse me but there is a line here. One main line". The person actually did play kind of dumb and then got in the back of the line, but the bizarre thing was, everyone in the line looked at me like I was crazy. No one seemed to be thankful that I just saved them time they would have had to wait in order for the cutter to get their turn.
So after that I usually just don't say anything. People don't respond in the way you logically think they would.
I would have been so pissed at that lady at Target, but probably would have not actually said anything.

Aunt to sweet baby boy
01-23-2008, 12:35 AM
Oh, gosh, I would have been dying to say something!

Honestly, though, DS would probably have noticed and loudly asked why the lady did that. I *love* it, because then I can gently explain that some people don't show consideration for other people. This seriously embarasses most social offenders; they generally seem to be ashamed that a little one would catch them acting rudely.

But I'm always laughing inside when he does this, because he's so serious about it and the situation is just so funny.

Avi always does this. If someone is in our way in a store aisle he will ask me why, and then say "excuse me" to the person. It seems so much easier to tell him that some people are not polite and leave their stuff strewn all over the place than to get into a confrontation. I would not have spoken to the woman in the checkout line. I do not like confronting people and she seems to be oblivious to the rules of the store, so I would have just come on here and posted about her later.

Kungjo
01-23-2008, 01:07 AM
Not worth it to say something to her. I keep quiet when I encounter these people since I have my DDs with me most of the time. Don't want to say something to her and then have her cuss me out in front of my DDs. I wouldn't be able to reply to such behavior in front of them.

Corie
01-23-2008, 10:22 AM
The only thing I might have said (depending on my mood)
would have been,

"Excuse me, ma'm, could you please move your basket from
the floor? It is blocking my way and I can't get my cart through.
Thanks so much!"

:)

cellenly
01-23-2008, 10:39 AM
sometimes i don't say anything b/c I feel like they're a lot of mentally unstable semi-functional people out there & I just don't want to rock the boat. Some of the details sound like the lady may have issues.

JTsMom
01-23-2008, 10:56 AM
If I would have said anything, it would have been like what Corie described- non-cofrontational, but something that would kind of clue her in. I'm definitely not the confrontational type AT ALL, and if I were, I certainly wouldn't be with DS there.

It's really shocking to see anyone act like that here. I moved from somewhere where the majority of people did stuff like that, to here, where people are generally friendly and considerate. Now when I see that kind of behavior, it just frustrates the heck out of me.

In any case, I do feel better having bitched about it! LOL

gatorsmom
01-23-2008, 11:24 AM
I agree with Cellenly. It sounds like this woman's elevator didn't go all the way up. Those are the kind that you're afraid are going to attack you in the parking lot. While I"m a big believer in setting people straight, someone like that would scare me into silence.

Melanie
01-23-2008, 04:46 PM
ITA with the others, it's good you didn't say anything. Maybe she was just in her own thoughtless world and would have appreciated a reality check, but likely not. KWIM?

C99
01-24-2008, 01:52 AM
Do you say something to people like this, or do you just come here and vent? LOL Part of me thinks if I would have said something (it would have been mild, it's not like I would have gone crazy on her or anything), maybe she'd have a little consideration in the future, but the other part of me thinks people like this know how they are, just don't care, and won't change anyway.

No, but I totally would have said something to the cashier!

BTW, I went to Whole Foods in a very DINKy area of town tonight -- with my 3 kids! You should have seen the looks of disgust from the yuppies when my kids were partially blocking the aisle for 2 seconds.

DrSally
01-24-2008, 08:44 AM
How annoying! I think you lost your chance though when you graciously let her cut. What she does from there is beyond your control and would prob just waste more of your time. I woud've just rolled eyes at the cashier in commiseration

KBecks
01-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Probably because she made a huge mess, I might say something. But I think you're a better person for not. :)

smilla653
01-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Ugh! I would have been really annoyed, too. Especialyl living in a city, people do stuff like this all the time.

Whenever I do actually say something, it turns out kind of snarky, and then I feel like a mean cow.

Better to post here and feel morally superior LOL!