PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm in love...

gatorsmom
01-22-2008, 07:26 PM
So, I posted before about needing help with 2 colicky babies while my husband is out of town for 7 nights. And since everyone recommended the cradle swing, I decided to get one. I had a coupon for Baby Depot and the FP papasan cradle swing was on sale so I decided to get it. While there, SiSi started to fuss so noticed that the Graco Sweetpeace "swing" could accommodate a Graco carseat. While I was checking out the papasan, I sat her SafeSeat in the Graco swing and continued inspecting the papasan. Well, she immediately went to sleep. So, I started to investigate the Sweetpeace and even though it wasn't on sale (and it's expensive) I managed to talk myself into it.

Got it home and when it put a very fussy Greenbean to sleep in about 10 minutes, I was sold. Now the real test will be tonight when it's fussy time.

Does anyone have any experience with this swing? I've never done any research on it so does anyone have any opinions about this thing? So far, so good...

marit
01-22-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't have an experience with this swing, but I do have experience with colicky babies...

I'm sending you sleepy vibes for tonight!

maestramommy
01-22-2008, 07:40 PM
Lisa, I don't know if this is helpful at all, but we have a Graco swing, the kind with a hard back that swings from back to front. It is awesome! It was great when Arwyn had reflux in the beginning. I think the hardback is much more supportive, and keeps them from being crunched up. Also, it has quite a few incline settings, all the way up to almost upright. When I looked at the papasan swing, I think there was a model that was softback and one that was hard. If I were to get that swing (my swing is borrowed) I'd get the one with a hard back.

I've read a lot of threads from mamas whose dc loved to sleep in the carseat. Maybe it's because the hardback is more supportive, and even the most incline isn't too far back. Keeps the reflux at bay. I always thought someone should make a swing that uses a carseat. Looks like Graco did!

tny915
01-22-2008, 07:51 PM
I saw this swing mentioned on my due date board and checked it the videos of it in action on the Graco site. It looks very cool! It's pricey, but sleep is priceless, isn't it? It's really new to the market, as far as I can tell. Amazon has only a few reviews, some from ppl who are still expecting, so there's not a lot of feedback available out there, but I'm glad to hear that it's worked for you so far.

Good luck tonight!

hellokitty
01-22-2008, 07:56 PM
I posted in your other post about how my oldest loved his swing. I know you are desperate b/c you are w/o DH to help out, but I also wanted to let you know that babies can get addicted to the swinging motion. We had a hard time weaning our son off of the swing, b/c he would sleep when it swung and as soon as it stopped he would awaken. I can't remember the term for it, but in one of the sleep books I read, I think it was the healthy sleep habits book, it mentioned that motion sleep is different from non-motion sleep (motion sleep is not as good as non-motion sleep). What I would recommend is to let the baby swing to sleep, and once he/she is asleep turn off the swing and you can let them continue sleeping in it (the positioning may help those babies who have reflux).

Anyway, I just thought I'd bring this to your attn now, b/c what happened to us was my son need to sleep in his swing all of the time, and then we had to make a big trip to CA when he was almost 6 mo old and freaked out, b/c there was no way we'd be able to bring our aquarium swing with us, kwim? So, we had to get him to sleep w/o it, and ugh, it was such a struggle. He was hooked on motion sleep! It was too much of a good thing, kwim? I think that is another reason why we barely used the swing with my youngest one, b/c we were afraid he'd get too hooked on it like our oldest one and then we'd have to work to break that habit. I think swings can be great to help soothe babies, but I think it can, in a weird way be addictive to the babies, and then you are stuck in the trap of always having to swing/rock a baby to sleep, which can be a curse later on...

gatorsmom
01-22-2008, 08:04 PM
[QUOTE=I think swings can be great to help soothe babies, but I think it can, in a weird way be addictive to the babies, and then you are stuck in the trap of always having to swing/rock a baby to sleep, which can be a curse later on...[/QUOTE]

That's a very good point and will be very reassuring to me if I can't get the twins to sleep in their swings tonight. ;)

JTsMom
01-22-2008, 08:47 PM
I haven't seen that yet, but congrats on finding something that helps! Just like hellokitty, my DS got hooked on swinging to sleep in his aquarium swing. It was totally worth it though- lol. Whatever works. If I had it to do over again, I would have just turned it off right after he went out.

Good luck tonight- sleepy vibes coming your way!

jenmcadams
01-22-2008, 09:20 PM
That's a very good point and will be very reassuring to me if I can't get the twins to sleep in their swings tonight. ;)

Just wanted to add my two cents on the getting addicted to swinging. My DD actually took all of her naps in the swing until 8 months...it took a little bit to transition, but wasn't awful. I remember asking my pediatrician if I should be worried or try to wean her early and she said absolutely not...if they're sleeping, don't mess with it.

bubbaray
01-22-2008, 10:07 PM
DD#1 took every nap in her swing until she was 12m. Her dr wasn't worried at all, she said if it works, stick with it until they are too big/heavy for the swing...

Good luck!

StantonHyde
01-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Let them sleep in the swing--deal with later later!! When we traveled with DD when she was 5 mos old, we rented a cradle swing through a baby equipment rental place--worked fine. Weaning them from swinging is the LEAST of your worries right now!!!!

eliasmom
01-22-2008, 11:05 PM
Sending sleepy vibes to those babies....

FWIW, I agree about motion sleep v nonmotion sleep... for older babies. For fussy little babies, you have to do whatever works to get them asleep and keep them asleep. DD is a pretty good sleeper now, but she was a colicky mess and she only napped in her stroller on loooooooong walks (and woke whenever I thought it was safe to grab a seat) or in her cradle swing.

JoyNChrist
01-22-2008, 11:45 PM
DD#1 took every nap in her swing until she was 12m. Her dr wasn't worried at all, she said if it works, stick with it until they are too big/heavy for the swing...

Good luck!

Amen! And...uh...DS slept in the FP Cradle Swing until he got so heavy that he blew up the motor. Literally. It just up and died one night. :p

(FP sent me a free replacement motor, by the way, which was really great of them considering that my baby was quite a bit too heavy to still be using the swing.)

kellij
01-23-2008, 12:50 AM
Lisa,

I just checked that out online; it looks amazing! Will you give us an update on how you like it down the road, after you've gotten to use it for awhile? I'd love to know if I "have" to get one for the next baby. :)

Thanks!
Kelli

gatorsmom
01-23-2008, 01:05 AM
It was worth every penny (so far)! Greenbean has been sleeping in that thing for the past 3 hours. I took him out to bf and then put him right back in. He woke a couple of times and looked at me and I swear he was fighting sleep but he drifted right off again. Incredible.

The thing that decided me on this swing vs. the papasan was that the "seat" part that can detach can be adjusted to really sit the baby upright. Since Greenbean only really will stop fussing in that position, that seemed like a must. So, even when the seat is detached and he is sitting in it on the floor, he's pretty upright. The papasan seat just didn't look like it was all that upright. Besides, I love the fact that you can take the seat off this swing and can put a carseat infant carrier in it. They hate to be in their carseats and the one is always screaming when I'm get them ready to go somewhere (since it takes so freakin long to get everyone ready).

So, I'm actually enjoying a bit of peace and happily polishing off a carton of sorbet as I'm typing. in peace. ( I better knock on wood! ;) )

Melanie
01-23-2008, 04:07 AM

We went through this with my son, it was the "do whatever works" things. Eventually we would (mind you he was the ONLY baby and only child in the house) sort of swing him on our own until he fell asleep then slowly let it stop.

For now, do what gets you some sanity and the rest will work out later!

casey0729
01-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Glad to hear Greenbean got some sleep! I have a friend with an 8 week old who is now having similar problems and will recommend this to her.

How did the night go?

ThreeofUs
01-23-2008, 11:43 AM
It was worth every penny (so far)! Greenbean has been sleeping in that thing for the past 3 hours. I took him out to bf and then put him right back in. He woke a couple of times and looked at me and I swear he was fighting sleep but he drifted right off again. Incredible.

So, I'm actually enjoying a bit of peace and happily polishing off a carton of sorbet as I'm typing. in peace. ( I better knock on wood! ;) )

Congratulations - this is so good to hear!

Tondi G
01-23-2008, 12:59 PM

The thing that decided me on this swing vs. the papasan was that the "seat" part that can detach can be adjusted to really sit the baby upright. Since Greenbean only really will stop fussing in that position, that seemed like a must. So, even when the seat is detached and he is sitting in it on the floor, he's pretty upright. The papasan seat just didn't look like it was all that upright. Besides, I love the fact that you can take the seat off this swing and can put a carseat infant carrier in it. They hate to be in their carseats and the one is always screaming when I'm get them ready to go somewhere (since it takes so freakin long to get everyone ready).

CONGRATS! I'm thrilled for you that you found something to make life with twins just a little bit easier!!!! My Ped always told me whatever works to get the baby and the parents sleep is ok with him! He said one of his babies was a swing lover back when they had the manual wind up swings. He said he slept many a night in a recliner with his hand at the ready to quickly wind the swing back up when the baby woke up pissed that the swing had stopped moving!

Enjoy the quieter time the swing provides for ya!

~Tondi