PDA

View Full Version : "Nice" single item party favors?

belovedgandp
01-23-2008, 07:25 PM
My son's turning 4 in February. We're having a "friends" party for about 12 kids at a gymnastics facility. The kids will be boys and girls ages just turned 3 to just turned 6.

Any good ideas for party favors? I know I'm personally tired of coming home with goody bags of candy and trinkets.

I'm willing to spend about $3 per kid. I was hoping to get inspired today by an arts or crafty something, but nothing has happened yet.

Twoboos
01-23-2008, 08:05 PM
DD got a little ceramic piggy bank with her name on it at one party. I am guessing the mom personalized them herself. It is so cute!

I just went to check if it had any info on it, but I can't find it. DD is into hiding her "treasures" so I'm sure this is somewhere weird. :) It's probbaly about 4in high though, and had fairies or something similar on it.

OK, in googling it seems these are beyong $3ea! (But admittedly, I am a bad googler.)

ETA - I found something at Oriental Trading, but they all look girly to me. THe link is like a mile long but search on "ceramic piggy bank." Set of 12 for $19.99. Or Paint-Your-Own-Glazed- Piggy-Bank set of 12/$19.99.

tny915
01-23-2008, 08:23 PM
We just went to a 4yo party where the host was giving out pocket-size games and sticker books as favors. We got a tangrams game.
http://www.familygamesamerica.com/mainsite/consumers/blank.gif
http://www.familygamesamerica.com/mainsite/consumers/productview.php?pro_id=184

Some older kids got chess or checkers, and some other kids got sticker or activity books.

For your age range, maybe some sticker or coloring or activity books with a box of crayons?

SnuggleBuggles
01-23-2008, 09:45 PM
I was also going to suggest a coloring book and crayons.

One year we bought little wooden boxes at Michael's for $1 (I picked ones shaped like treasure chests but the have lots of dif't shapes and containers) for kids to decorate. I bought a set of paints, paint brushes and some glue on gems and broke up the sets to divide between the kids. They didn't do the project at the party but we had everything in the goody bag. I tossed in 2 pieces of Hershey's Nuggets but those weren't necessary. I thought it was a pretty clever idea (if I do say so myself ;)) and I only spent about $3/ kid. :)

You can also get some card games at a place like Target for that price (Uno...).

Beth

lmintzer
01-23-2008, 10:38 PM
A few ideas:

if you are crafty, you can get tiny wooden "treasure" chests (fairly inexpensive) at a craft store like Michaels. Paint, write their names on them with paint pens, and decorate with little gemstones or stickers. Add a "gold" dollar coin to each. http://www.michaels.com/art/online/displayProductPage?productNum=cp0179

Buy straw sippers for each kiddo and personalize. Here are some I made for my kids' parties:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g316/lmintzer/bowlingpins.jpg

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g316/lmintzer/PICT0184.jpg

kaitlinsmommy
01-23-2008, 11:37 PM
I gave out books at dd's last birthday party. I was at a party last summer where the mom gave everyone a Little Golden Book & I thought it was a great idea. DD had a princess party with Cinderella here so I gave out Princess books. They came in packs of 10 at Costco. They also have Golden Books and other sets too.

hellokitty
01-24-2008, 12:21 AM
This might sound like a goofy idea, but if you are having the bday party at a gymnastics facility, how about giving each child a hoola hoop? Kind of like the whole exercising and being active theme. I know they sell smaller ones for younger children. It's something both boys and girls can use.

new_mommy25
01-24-2008, 01:32 AM
A kite is one of my favorites.

Twin Mom
01-24-2008, 10:37 AM
This isn't the right time of the year but for my twins b-day last year we gave each kid the Big Bubbler purchased at Target's 75% off clearance sale at the end of the summer.

http://www.amazon.com/Spin-Master-Big-Bubbler/dp/B0007L7BTK

The year before, we gave a small puppet, a box of crayons and a little pad of paper.

At one party they got small wooden puzzles. I agree that I'm tired of the small stuff and especially of all the candy. I prefer 1 larger gift myself.

mytwoboys
01-24-2008, 10:50 AM
I'm in the process of trying to find some for a favor as well and I too don't want to do all of the trinkets and such. I think that I'm going to give each of the older kids 3+ a Bitty Bucket with animal crackers tied to it. For the younger ones I bought Animal Board books on sale ($1 each) and I'm going to give them each two of the board books with animal crackers as well. I'm hoping to find a "animal/safari" ribbon to tied it together with. I'll print out little thank you cards to add for each one as well.

If anything inspires you today, please share!

nupe
01-24-2008, 11:49 AM
There were some abc sticker books for about $3 from sortfloorbooks.com. They have FS now for $15 purchase. There was a ball point ink mark through the UPC code, but you could cover that w/decorative sticker w/bday theme.

Caveat: My last 2 orders have shipped short, that is to say I got order confirmation. The next day I got shipping confirmation, and then the next day I got an email saying that they didn't have one of the books and that amt was being crediting to my cc.

Bean606
01-24-2008, 11:59 AM
I went to an arts/crafts party recently, and DS received a box of crayons and a smock with his name on it. I thought that was cute, but the smocks were probably more than $3.

belovedgandp
01-24-2008, 12:49 PM
These are great ideas. Thanks so much. I'm kicking myself for not thinking about these things earlier when I'd see bargains.

I'm going to brave Hobby Lobby and try to strong arm a friend who can free-hand much better than I can to personalize something.

Or the hula hoop idea is intriguing.

With the b-day in the beginning of February, I always push off planning until I get through Christmas. Suddenly it's like the 12th of January and I realize I have 3 weeks to get my act together. Oops!

firstbaby
01-24-2008, 12:50 PM
For DS's party last week, I gave out an activity pad and crayon mug of crayons from Oriental Trading and burned everyone CD's of our favorite kids music (Dan Zanes, Laurie Berkner, Justin Roberts, etc.)

If you have a Michael's near you, check out their kids / $1 section. They usually have some really cool stuff. My Michael's had a two pack of playing cards like Crazy 8's, memory, etc. The only downside was that the cards had licensed characters on them - Spiderman, etc.

mom2lm
01-24-2008, 05:58 PM
I am a big fan of the single item favors! Books and coloring books are simple and fun, like the pps mentioned. One party we attended gave out the small magnadoodles - those were great, but probably a little more than $3. Other ideas are view masters, play doh or moon sand. For our three year old's party, we gave out an echo microphone (around 2 bucks at target) and a song flute (2 for $1 at the dollar tree).

bubbaray
01-24-2008, 06:28 PM
I am doing puzzles for DD#1's party -- there are only 4 kids coming, 2 are getting puzzles (ages 2.5 and 6) and the 2 older girls (11 & 12) are getting journals.

spunkybaby
01-24-2008, 08:59 PM
I like to give books for party favors. I basically look at bookcloseouts.com or sortfloorbooks.com and find a nice book that matches the party theme.

MMMommy
01-24-2008, 09:24 PM
I love the hula hoop idea posted by the other mommy! DD2's 3rd birthday party will be in March at Junior Gym (a Little Gym/kiddie gym type venue), and I think hula hoops would be great. I saw these at Oriental Trading Company--I think I would just connect them myself ahead of time, rather than give them as a make-your-own since the party place time slot doesn't really allow for much time for anything else.

http://www.orientaltrading.com/application?namespace=search&origin=searchMain.jsp&event=button.search&Ntt=hula+hoop&Ntk=all&Ntx=mode%2Bmatchallpartial&N=0

Corie
01-24-2008, 10:34 PM
Disposable cameras!!

This was the best party favor we've ever given out! All the kids
loved it!

I gave each child a disposable camera and photo album.

(I bought Kodak disposable camera coupons off Ebay. I needed
like 25 cameras. And I bought Mickey/Minnie Mouse photo
albums off Ebay.)

Jen841
01-25-2008, 12:13 PM
We did a pizza party last year, and I bought "Bob the Builder Pizza" books for each child and put a label on each that said "Thank you for Coming to my party, J" and tied them up in ribbon. I found them on-line for $2 each.

My back up was B&B soaps I bought during the annual sale ($2-3 each I believe.) They game me celo bags, so I saved some for random gifts. I don't know about your kids, but mine love playing at the sink with soap. What about getting a bunch of pumps of soap for the kids?

For various parties I have given puppets, kites and bubble toys. All were a hit, but I think the parents likes the books the best. Got lots of comments.

We received bubble bath, bath color tabs and bath paints/crayons. Kids loved them!

tsem
01-25-2008, 12:19 PM
My girlfriend had I good idea that I am going to steal this year. She gives a $3 gift card to the local ice cream shop (Brusters). My kids were thrilled! It doesn't matter that it is cold here!
Traci

belovedgandp
01-25-2008, 05:30 PM
These were all awesome ideas. Unfortunately, the party is next Saturday, so I had to go for in person shopping.

I came close to a cute combination of books at our local bookstore, but I quickly got out-priced or couldn't get 12 right now. I went to Michael's hoping something would strike me. Ended up finding some Perler Iron Bead sets on 50% off clearance for $3.25 a set. Hit three stores this afternoon and actually found 11 sets on clearance and used my 40% off coupon to get the 12th one.

Yeah, one thing off the list!

danagee
01-26-2008, 09:36 PM
Target has those cute little stringy-type backpacks in the Dollar Spot if you're looking for something fun and sporty to put the goodies in!
I don't know what the official name is, but they basically look like this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2083/2221334775_b32353d994_o.jpg

thomma
01-27-2008, 01:53 PM
The best bday favor we've ever rec'd is a ball...the kind you find at walmart in the metal cages. Ds and dd played with them for ages.

Kim
ds&dd 5/03

new_mommy25
01-27-2008, 03:22 PM
These were all awesome ideas. Unfortunately, the party is next Saturday, so I had to go for in person shopping.

I came close to a cute combination of books at our local bookstore, but I quickly got out-priced or couldn't get 12 right now. I went to Michael's hoping something would strike me. Ended up finding some Perler Iron Bead sets on 50% off clearance for $3.25 a set. Hit three stores this afternoon and actually found 11 sets on clearance and used my 40% off coupon to get the 12th one.

Yeah, one thing off the list!

Sounds good! I'm sure the kids will love them.

I forgot to add what I did for my DS's last birthday. DS had a Spongebob party. I found a set of Spongebob books at Costco. They were 6 for $5.50 or something like that. I bought a couple sets and gave each child a book as a favor. I also made a hamburger out of felt (krabby patty) but I think even the book would have been enough.

fauve01
01-27-2008, 07:31 PM
when dd turned 4 last fall, i gave each kid a kid toothbrush and a box of band aids (with kids designs of course). all the moms LOVED the toothbrushes and bandaids. it was a HUGE hit.

the activity at the party was decorating a foamy crown or visor, and i also had them decorate a borwn paper lunch bag to carry the items home in. also, as each kid left, i gave them one of the helium balloons we had scattered all over decorating our house.

one of dd's friends gave out wands and a big bottle of bubbles and a $2 gift cert to basking robbins. i thought that was a brilliant idea too.

hth~
anne

bunnisa
02-03-2008, 12:31 AM
We love the Folkmanis finger puppets, and you could choose animals to go with whatever birthday theme you've chosen. Our favorites so far are the hermit crab and the quail. HTH!

hellbennt
02-03-2008, 03:11 PM
I gave out these:

http://www.nosqueeze.com/

for ds1 & ds2 party (4 yrs old & 1 yrs old)

I ordered stickers to put on them that said:
Thanks for celebrating with us! (or something like that) & their names;
I found the seller on ebay:
http://stores.ebay.com/Three-Dog-Graphx-Teacher-Stickers

and then communicated w/ the seller for personalization & to choose the graphic, etc, from here: http://www.threedoggraphx.com/

mom2lm
02-03-2008, 06:03 PM
sorry, dbl post

mom2lm
02-03-2008, 06:04 PM
I gave out these:

http://www.nosqueeze.com/

for ds1 & ds2 party (4 yrs old & 1 yrs old)

What a great idea! I just wanted to let you know I'm stealing your idea, stickers and all, for my daughter's 2nd birthday this summer.

Thanks!

hellbennt
02-03-2008, 08:39 PM
my friend actually gave me the idea...
'steal' away, that's what we're here for :D

Globetrotter
02-04-2008, 04:20 PM
At a party I recently attended, they served the pizza on wax paper on top of a frisbee! Then that become the favor!! Pretty cool, huh? And I love the reuse and recycle theme :)
I always give one or two bigger things to avoid all the little trinkets.

Other ones I've done or seen:

books (Costco or Scholastic warehouse sales are great for this)
sticker books
gymboree bubbles (the big set)
hula hoops
travel size games
puzzles
zipper pull dolls (for backpacks)
$2 baskin robbins GC

Mad libs (as they get older)
journals and pencils

If you are a shopper and plan ahead, you can get amazing deals on these items.

ETA: craft sets are great, and we love perler beads!
Kris

boys2enough
02-04-2008, 05:05 PM
Any good ideas for party favors? I know I'm personally tired of coming home with goody bags of candy and trinkets..

Even if I had any brilliant ideas, it would have been probably too late for your DS' party. However, just have to chime in to say, "I hear you Sister!"

For that reason, I always give out one big gift (around $3-4, and if you start looking a year before, LOL, you can find some nice bargains): mini boxes of Legos, PBK utensil sets, Crayola twist up crayons, etc. The moms showed their appreciation (I guess we are not alone!), but the kids? I have been asked many times, "Is that it? Do you have candies?" sigh. So now I give out candies too just to keep the kids happy...