PDA

View Full Version : Love our Marathon - need 2nd seat for 3.5 y.o.

Mamma2004
01-24-2008, 08:03 AM
DS is 3 1/2 y.o. and at 38" tall weighs +/- 32 pounds. We have been very happy with our Marathon and have used only the "good car" for DS (hence the 1 seat). He has been FF for a year or more but we intend to keep him harnessed for as long as possible.

My dad just got a new car and would love to get a car seat installed so that he and my mom could take DS "for a ride", "to the movies", etc. Very sweet!

Anyway, they really want a permanent seat so that we don't need to move the Marathon for a quick ride. Now I'm so out of the loop regarding car seats and the more I read, the more confused I become.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Money is an issue and it would be great if we could get a lot out of a new seat (and DS is an only). Safety, of course, is a greater issue and I would really appreciate your help!

Stephanie

Joolsplus2
01-24-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm really liking what I'm reading about the new Graco Nautilus. It harnesses to 65 pounds (slots at least an inch taller than the Marathon), then becomes a fine booster seat, even becomes a backless booster later if you need it (for travel, say). It doesn't require a headrest like the Apex does, no one's complained about short crotch or harness straps yet (like the Apex has), and it seems to be installing quite well in most cars (Top tether not mandatory, but it is highly, highly recommended to use whenever possible). There's EPS foam for head protection, too. (150 at Walmart so far, will be at more stores soon)
He's not a huge kiddo, so the Graco Platinum Cargo is also a fine choice...top slots almost as high as the Marathon, harness only goes to 40 pounds, but that might be age 5 for him, becomes a fair booster after, lined with EPS foam, push button harness that usually works well, installs well in most cars.(lots of stores, about $100). The Evenflo Chase or Generations are also great, but the harness adjusters are unusual (strap ON the harness, or dial on the side of the seat) and you'd want to make sure your parents can use it properly.

:)

nerlmag
01-24-2008, 05:34 PM
don't want to hijack thread
I was looking at car seats for a similar sized little guy. Had a car accident with my graco comfortsport. Front and rear end damage car was drivable after but then again the body shop wouldn't let it be driven( keeping it for repair) I feel better replacing it, shouldn't I?

No walmarts within 100 have the nautilus. I was also looking at a radian? I read somewhere that the regent will be on sale soon at around $200. Could I use the comfortsport until I can get my hand on one of those two??

My son is in my car on a daily basis to and from school etc.

clc053103
01-24-2008, 09:20 PM
I actually wrote Graco CS to see if they could tell me when other stores would get the Nautilus- since on line is out of stock and like you, there's no Walmart that carries one in a 100 mile radius of my house! They told me Walmart was it, gave me no indication of when other retailers would be allowed to sell them, and suggested I call 1-800-WALMART.

As for using the Comfortsport until you get a RAdian or Regent (I've been told Regents go on sale in Feb- Radian seems to be $199 everywhere) I'll defer to the experts on that one.....

Joolsplus2
01-24-2008, 09:30 PM
Graco would definitely tell you to replace it. How big is he? (still fits in a comfortsport, so pretty small, I imagine...) you might be just as happy with a Cargo or Recaro Young Sport, and the Radian is nice. Don't trust the online walmart thing, some people are finding the seats are in stock despite them saying they aren't.