PDA

View Full Version : using the tether to achieve 45 degree incline

crimscrem
01-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Like many I've had issues with getting the correct incline once my Boulevard is installed. I've read on this forum that we should install the seat first and then use the tether (swedish rather than australian) to adjust it to the correct recline.

Is that safe to do? Doesn't that put additional stress on the car seat? My first thought was that the seat reclines to a certain degree by pulling on the recline bar. If you then use the tether to further recline the seat, isn't that stressing the seat? I appreciate the feedback.

Joolsplus2
01-24-2008, 11:44 AM
They have started saying don't *crank* the tether with great force, as it has been implicated in breaking the recline mechanism (particularly if the seat is in the mechanical upright position). But the seat itself can take the force easily (the amount of stress a human arm can exert to make a tether taut is absolutely nothing compared to what the seat can handle in a 30 mph frontal crash with a 65 pound kid in it). Just find a good solid spot on the floor/low on the front seats or front seatbelt anchor toward the front of the car, tie the tether connector strap to it, install the seat as usual in the mechanically reclined position, and then hook the tether to the strap, give a gentle tug to remove slack and recline it a bit more if you need to, and voila :)

crimscrem
01-24-2008, 12:07 PM
They have started saying don't *crank* the tether with great force, as it has been implicated in breaking the recline mechanism (particularly if the seat is in the mechanical upright position). But the seat itself can take the force easily (the amount of stress a human arm can exert to make a tether taut is absolutely nothing compared to what the seat can handle in a 30 mph frontal crash with a 65 pound kid in it). Just find a good solid spot on the floor/low on the front seats or front seatbelt anchor toward the front of the car, tie the tether connector strap to it, install the seat as usual in the mechanically reclined position, and then hook the tether to the strap, give a gentle tug to remove slack and recline it a bit more if you need to, and voila :)

Thanks. You're absolutely right that the difference in force between my tethering and an accident are hugely different. The tether is taught, but not incredibly tight.