PDA

View Full Version : Sleep "Talking"?

JoyNChrist
01-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Avery never shuts up now when he's awake. He babbles constantly - it's really cute. But lately he's even started "talking" in his sleep. He babbles off and on all night - I can hear him on the monitor. Last night, I heard him babbling a whole lot, so I walked in his room to check on him, thinking he might be awake. He was sitting up in his crib, eyes closed, just jabbering away. He did that for probably 5 minutes (never opened his eyes), then all of a sudden he just stopped. He sat up for a minute or two, then just fell forward, sound asleep.

Is this normal? He seems well-rested when he gets up in the morning (usually sleeps 11-12 hours at night), so I don't guess it's really a problem. We have an appointment with the ped tomorrow (well baby). Do you think I should mention it?

jawilli4
01-24-2008, 01:31 PM
I watched a program on sleep on PBS eons ago where they played a video of a young child (maybe 4?) in a sleep lab talking and babbling to himself for a pretty long while after falling asleep. They said it was the way young children learn and process things that have happened during the day. I don't remember if they said that it happened throughout the night but it was fascinating to watch the kiddo in action. I think he was tossing and turning a bit and just jabbering away. Personally if it bothered me and I was at the appointment anyway, I'd bring it up. However, I think you're just doing a great job of teaching him and stimulating his mind during the day and he has a lot to process. It could also just be a short phase of great neural development and his jabbering will go away in a few days. I also read a book on baby brain development a while ago and I seem to remember that during rapid periods of neural growth good nutrition is essential to maximize development. However, now I'm sleep deprived, can't think straight, and can't seem to pass a vegetable down my kids' throats so you can take my post with a grain of salt. ;)

buddyleebaby
01-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Both of my girls talk/laugh/cry/ in their sleep. Abigail even walked in her sleep a few times at about Avery's age.
I wouldn't worry about it- I think it's fun hearing little excerpts of their dreams.

Kungjo
01-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Both my girls did that. In fact, they still do it to a certain extent now thought not as much. They are 2 and 6. It cracks me up when I hear it because they don't recall any of it when they wake up.