PDA

View Full Version : Vacation without DD? Would you do it?

elektra
01-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Update:
I am going on the trip! Unfortunately DH is not my "plus one". He is going to stay home with DD, and I will be taking a girlfriend. I was looking into just bringing DD, but it turns out that the resort is adults only. And unfortunately I don't have anyone to watch DD for 4 days straight.

And thanks for the congratulations! I seriously think my fear of getting fired for not doing a good enough job was the driving force behind the success.
------------------------------

I just got word from the CEO of my company that based on my 2007 performance, I am invited to be included in the annual trip to Playa Del Carmen, Mexico for the top performing employees. Yeah, right? However all I feel is dread! The trip is for 2 so I was obviously thinking of going with DH. However, I can't imagine leaving DD with anyone while I am gone. She is 10 mo. I have done business trips in the past where DD is with DH, but this just seems scarier.
I don't know the details yet including the length of the trip or when it will be (all the "winners" do the trip at the same time, it's not like you just get to just go whenever).

Maybe I'll go and take a girlfriend....
Maybe ask the nanny if she wants to come too? That would cost $$$ though, and I'm not sure if she would be up for it.....
Bring the baby, and have DH watch her while I attend the company parties?...
My parents watching the baby would be out of the question....

It's an honor to be selected but it's sort of bittersweet. It would also look kind of bad if I didn't accept, although I'm sure I wouldn't be the first person to have to turn it down.
What would you do?

Ceepa
01-24-2008, 04:03 PM
If it's a 2-3 day trip I would leave DD with DH and go by myself. If it's longer I'd probably decline. I had a tough time leaving baby #1 with anyone other than DH or me at that age.

SnuggleBuggles
01-24-2008, 04:04 PM
If you have someone you trust to watch her and it is just a weekend trip then I would probably go with dh. But, I'd probably be more inclined to bring her along and see if you can arrange some child care (take the nanny? see if the hotel can set something up?) so that you and your dh can have some alone time.

Congratulations!

Beth

ETA- I do like the idea of going alone or with a friend too. That could be fun. Real helpful reply, huh?

gatorsmom
01-24-2008, 04:44 PM
Congratulations! That's very exciting. My husband won a trip to Cancun a couple of years ago. It was first class all the way. Everything, I mean everything was paid for by the company.

Gator was 4 months old at the time. I left him with my MIL. She's totally trustworthy and was looking forward to spending time with her grandson who lives so far away. We had a great time.

If I were you, I'd convince the nanny to go. You would totally enjoy it.

daisy1234
01-24-2008, 04:45 PM
Go for it....if yu have someone you trust...time away is soooo nice but soooo rare! Enjoy!

citymama
01-24-2008, 05:10 PM
There's no right or wrong answer except - don't do anything that makes you uncomfortable! This is supposed to be a break, so if it is going to stress you out, don't do it. If you are excited about it, you can either go by yourself (perhaps for 2-3 days as one of the PPs was suggested) or bring the baby along and have your husband watch her when you have work events late in the evening. Some 5 star hotels have excellent babysitting services as well - something you might want to research ahead of time. Personally, I wouldn't spring to bring a nanny along because that sort of defeats the purpose of an all-expenses paid vacation!

If it were me, I would go, but only if I could bring my baby along - but that's just me and you have to figure out what's right for you! Hope you have a great time, and no regrets, either way!

StantonHyde
01-24-2008, 05:38 PM
We left DS for a 4 day weekend at 11 mos. He did JUST FINE. This fall, we left the DC with a very trusted nanny for a week--they had a BLAST. I think it would be great for you and DH to go. But if that just stresses you out too much, then see if he will stay home. Everybody I know was pleasantly surprised at how ok they were with leaving their 1st DC for a grownup weekend--even the real die hards :-)

geochick
01-24-2008, 05:52 PM
If it were me, I'd take dh and the baby. If you're staying at a nice resort, they may have *trustable* babysitting or a kids' club. My youngest is 19mo and I still haven't been able to take a vacation w/o her. Dh and I have one planned (2 nights in Vegas) when she's 24mo. That will be our first.

Don't pass up this great opportunity. Take the baby before you decline.

CiderLogan
01-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Yes, go! Going without the baby can be easier than you think if you have someone trustworthy to watch her.... I cried like the crazy the first time I left DD for a trip but enjoyed (almost) every minute of alone time with DH while we were gone... & it was great for our (mine & DH's) relationship.

OR, figure out a way to take her. DH can watch her while you do work functions. Y'all will have a blast.

Congratulations!

tmarie
01-24-2008, 08:02 PM
I think you should go and leave dd home with a trusted caregiver. Last year, just before dd's 2yr birthday, I accompanied my dh on a business trip (business during the week, and I joined him on Friday for the weekend). It felt like our second honeymoon!! :) It was so fun to enjoy each other, sleep in, and enjoy room service in bed. Heavenly. I was on such a high when we returned that I swore we would do it every year from now on. Enjoy!

maestramommy
01-24-2008, 08:03 PM
If it were me I'd have to bring the baby because I'm bfing and I just don't know how I would work around the pumping thing, particularly if the trip was longer than 2 days.

I'd ask about available childcare at the resort. Since it's a resort, there should be many options for what you can do to have fun. Think of it as the vacation you'd love to take as a family, with someone else paying:)

hellokitty
01-24-2008, 09:22 PM
If I were you I'd bring DH and the baby, and then take advantage of the resort's babysitters if there are dinner events or other activities where it would be inappropriate to bring a baby. You did not mention if you were BF of not, but assuming you are, that is why I would bring the baby. If you have a lot of BM stored up and your baby will take from a bottle or you are FF, then I would leave the baby with a trusted family member or other caretaker while you and DH get away. For me, if I were BFing a 10 mo old (and none of my kids would ever take the bottle), I would just bring the baby, but if it wasn't for the BFing issue, I would leave the baby with a trusted family member. Of course, this is what I say, yet neither my 4 yr old nor 2.5 yr old have ever spent a night away from me before, lol.

BTW, congrats on the trip! You deserve it! I hope that whatever decision you end up with, you will have a good time!

elektra
01-26-2008, 02:22 PM
Well it sounds like everyone's advice is to try and find a way to go either with baby or without, so that's what I'm gonna try to do.
I am still breastfeeding (that's what really should have earned me a Mexico vaction, right? ;) ). But at this point I'm only doing first thing in the morning, last thing at night, and some night feedings, so I think I could manage pumping in Mexico over coffee in the morning and before I go to bed, if we don't end up bringing DD.
As soon as I find out more about the resort I'll look into childcare there too.
I have been able to also relax a bit. I think I posted my question about 2 seconds after I read the email about the trip, so I was still in freakout mode.
Thanks for all the opinions and advice!

nfowife
01-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Would your nanny possibly be able to stay with the baby while you are on the trip (obviously this would cost you some extra $$). I'd either do that, or bring DD with. I was never apart from DD overnight until I had DS. I wish we would have taken a trip but the opportunity never came up (and we didn't make one for ourselves). We are going on a weeklong ski trip in 3 weeks with BIL and future SIL and I can't wait! I know DD and DS are going to have a blast with the IL's and I am ready to sleep later than 6am for the first time in over a year!!!

maylips
01-27-2008, 12:18 PM
I don't have any advice for you, but I do want to say CONGRATULATIONS. I, too, have a 10 month old and I'm pretty sure my work last year was not stellar enough to deserve a top-performance award trip. I do hope you take some time to celebrate the fact that woman, you HAD A BABY and still rocked at work! I admire you for that.

kozachka
01-27-2008, 04:01 PM
First of all, congratulations! I am impressed you were able to earn this trip while having a baby and BFing her. You should definitely go.

If it were me, I might bring my child along. I did not leave DS until her was almost 2 years old and within just over a couple months he self-weaned. I still wonder if me being gone for almost a week speeded up the process. At the same time, I can tell you it was GREAT not to have DS with us the first time we could leave him with MIL for a week.