PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a website for the family?

gobadgers
01-24-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm looking to set up a website for me, my husband and our new daughter, since our family is scattered across the country. I'd like something that is easy to use (for both me and the people browsing through), looks reasonably nice has plenty of space and never deletes anything. I think I'd like something more than a Kodak or Shutterfly type site, because I'd like to have longer descriptions, and maybe some other nice features such as calendars, places for family to post things, etc... I wouldn't be opposed to a small fee if it's a nice site.

I'm reasonably computer literate but haven't really done any programming and am a little intimidated at the thought of setting something up myself. Does anyone have a website set up, any recommendations or thoughts on something like this?

Thanks in advance!

-Christine

Luvmytot2007
02-06-2008, 02:19 AM
I use www.Nexo.com which has been great for us and is free. I know Shutterfly just bought them so who knows what will happen with that??? They have a calendar, message board, pictures, etc. The site is VERY user friendly.

demoiselle
04-10-2008, 05:44 PM
smugmug.com is my favorite.
I've tried many of the free photo sites, and got sick of the adds or the limited space or the many other things you just have to deal with when it's "free".
:32:

So I did a bit of research and asked my photographer friends. (Dpreview is a great place for digital photographer info, btw).

And found out about smugmug. LOVE IT!!!
:love-retry:

there is a yearly fee, but it's minimal compared to others.
unlimited space!!!
you don't have to do any programming, they have ready-made themes. (just drag and drop baby!)
others can download your pics onto their own computers for free (if you want)
you can password protect your pics so people cannot download your pics
you can protect your galleries so only people with passwords can see them
people can order pics (good prices) directly from smugmug if they want (kodak quality)
or you can have smugmug print on other things (mugs, t-shirts, mousepads, etc)
you can link your photos to google earth (fun with family all over the place)
if you give others your password, they can download pics onto your site as well.

wow, I totally sound like an avertisement!
:cheerleader1:

I've given a few people smugmug as a gift. It's been so much fun keeping in touch that way! (plus my sister became a photographer after so many people kept requesting photo shoots with her after they saw her pics.)
:yay:

hope that helps