PDA

View Full Version : IUD users... particularly ParaGard

Tondi G
01-24-2008, 09:14 PM
How do you like your IUD? My DH is pushing to get a Vasectomy but I am not ready for anything so final just yet. I am looking into an IUD and since I didn't have the best track record with the pill (weight gain, headaches, decreased sex drive) I am thinking of going non hormonal.

My neighbor had one and said she had HEAVY periods (her words were "I felt like I was hemmoraging every month) .... as did DH's cousins wife who just had one inserted. I have another friend who had one inserted at her 6 wk PP check and said it has been a breeze.

If you have or have had a Paragard would you choose it again? Please give me all the gory details (if you don't mind!)

Thanks

~Tondi
Mommy to Mason 7/01 and Aidan 5/05

caleymama
01-24-2008, 09:34 PM
I don't have one but just recently spoke to my ob/gyn about IUDs. I'd love to go the non-hormonal route, but because my periods are so long and heavy she recommended the Mirena over the Paragard. I'm still undecided about the M, but she was very clear that in her opinion the Paragard would likely make things worse which I really don't need (I'm already anemic).

Hopefully others will have better info for you.

SnuggleBuggles
01-24-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm about to get my second Paragard next week. I had the first for about 2.5-3 years and I really liked it! Yes, the first few months my periods were heavier and longer but no where near what I would call excessive or worrisome. Like maybe for one day I would use supers instead of regulars. And they were only longer by 1- 2 days. After a few months things actually returned to my normal. I was a good candidate for the Paragard since I don't get cramps and my periods are ok but I was still worried. Things were just fine though. I will gladly take an extra day of my period or a bit heavier one if it means not having to deal with other bc methods! Oh, and I do get some cramps now but only so bad that I need like 1-2 ibuprofens for one day. Nothing horrible.

If you have any more q's, I'd be happy to try and answer them.

Beth

aa2mama
01-24-2008, 09:45 PM
I have Mirena not Paragard, but I wanted to chime in because I used to have unpleasant side effects from the pill similar to yours. However, I have not had any problems with the hormones in Mirena. I'm on my second one and love it!

spanannie
01-24-2008, 10:01 PM
I had the Paraguard inserted at 6 weeks PP. I did have some intermittent spotting throughout my cycles during the 3 years I had it in, but I would (and will) definitely get it again. I think it's the best alternative out there in non-permanent birth control.

ShanaMama
01-24-2008, 10:09 PM
If you are able to search you'll find many old threads about IUDs. I had the paraguard & loved it. I'll definitely get another after this baby is born.

They did warn me about heavy periods, but I felt it slack off after the first couple of months. 4-5 days, very heavy on the first & then tapering slowly. It was only after I took it out that I realized how light my periods were all of a sudden. If you already have heavy periods, this might be more of an issue for you.
The best part was that there are no side effects & nothing to remember. You can get a Mirena, which has hormones. I believe it gives you light or no periods, but I chose not to get it because the hormones in the BCP made me a mess. For me, no hormones is worth everything.
Also, you can keep it in for 5 or 10 years, so you can really forget about it.

trales
01-24-2008, 11:29 PM
I love my paragaurd. My periods are a bit heavier, but this is only the second since it was inserted 5 months ago. I am very happy with it. I had a terrible time with the pill and will take the heavier period over the horrible side effects I had from the pill.

Davids-Coco
01-25-2008, 01:18 AM
I have the Mirena and love it. The progesterone is a small dose and isn't anything like a progesterone only pill or depo provera. I can give you tons of info should you want it.

ellies mom
01-25-2008, 01:36 AM
I chose the Mirena over the Paragard because I have very painful periods and the doctor told me that the Paragard would make them worse. I absolutely loved my Mirena. I had no problem getting pregnant right away when it was removed. Even though we're absolutely certain that we are done after this next child, I will be getting another one rather than getting my tubes tied because I liked it so much.

TonFirst
01-25-2008, 03:51 PM
LOVED it, and will absolutely get another one after this pregnancy. I didn't have any problems with heavy/painful periods, but my periods were pretty easy to begin with.

I chose Paragard over Mirena because I didn't want to deal with the hormones any more, and I am SO GLAD I chose Paragard. Really, I loved it.

Tondi G
01-26-2008, 01:19 AM
Just wanted to say THANK YOU to everyone who has responded so far! I really appreciate your responses... makes me a feel a little more comfortable with my decision to go forward with an IUD!

~Tondi

amandabea
01-26-2008, 12:18 PM
I've had the Paragard IUD for two months and I think it is great. Sure my periods have been a little heavier these first two months and I have slight cramping, but not so serious that I have to take anything. I'd definitely get it again -- I have no memory and I hated taking the pill. I picked it over Mirena since it has no hormones and my doctor recommended it for me.

dhano923
01-26-2008, 03:33 PM
I have the Paraguard. I got it inserted about 5 months after DD was born. I love it. Yes, it does cause a heavier period for me, but it's worth the tradeoff for me. But it didn't increase the other symptoms like cramping, etc, just the bleeding. I've recommended it to several friends as well.