PDA

View Full Version : Did/would you re-use a crib mattress for DC#2?

SummerBaby
01-24-2008, 09:53 PM
I posted here for more traffic and I'm looking for a quick answer. DD#1 used her crib mattress (foam Colgate Classica) for over 3 years. It's in pretty good shape but I'm hesitant to use it for DD#2 because I read somewhere that used crib mattresses are a SIDS risk. I googled it again and I can't really come up with any studies or rationale to support this theory. DD#2 will be 6 months old on Tuesday and she is still sleeping in a swing/car seat (she had/has reflux and other issues). I ordered a new crib mattress from Baby Catalog, but they are back ordered and it will be about 2 weeks before it ships. I would love to just put DD#2 on the old crib mattress until I get the new one, but the whole SIDS thing scares me. What does everyone think? Does anyone understand why this is a risk? Am I being paranoid??

Val
DD 7/04
DD 7/07

SnuggleBuggles
01-24-2008, 10:05 PM
I did. I was willing to buy a new crib mattress if I could find exactly the one I already had (Kolcraft, $30, foam, from Target). I wouldn't compromise on the foam thing especially.

The SIDS thing I have heard is that bodily fluids can seep into the mattress and mold and mildew can grow. That mold and mildew can make the air unhealthy to rebreath. There seems to be more concern if the mattress comes from outside your family.

Remember that the SIDS risk drastically drops at 6 months.

I try and do the other things that reduce the risk (breastfeed, no smoking, healthy pregnancy,...) and I try to provide a safe sleep environment (no pillows, blankets, bumpers...). The mattress thing was probably the one thing I haven't done.

Beth

dr mom
01-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Yeah, we'll be re-using ours...DS co-slept from day 1, and I think he *might* have slept in his crib twice. Ever. He's almost four years old now.

Personally, I was ready to sell the crib long ago, but DH holds out hope that DC#2 will take to the crib (and the $100 Colgate mattress) better than DC#1. :rolleyes:

gordo
01-24-2008, 10:43 PM
I did plan on re-using my crib mattress but my friend just sent me a website with the info on not re-using mattresses so I am torn.

Here is the website
http://www.healthychild.com/cribdeathcause.htm

vludmilla
01-24-2008, 10:49 PM
I would re-use it, especially since I'm pretty sure there haven't been many or any "breaches" so not much chance for mold growth, etcetera.

icunurse
01-24-2008, 11:20 PM
Yep, we reused ours (and will again if we get lucky with more children). We have a Colgate foam mattress with a non-fabric cover. Plus we always had a mattress cover and sheet (and sometimes the Ultimate crib sheet), so I think the chance for mold or fungal growth is minimal.

Our DD is being transitioned from the swing to the crib because she had horrible reflux. We're having a heck of a time getting her to sleep more than 2-3 hours straight in her crib (she'll go almost 12 hours in the swing).

nov04
01-24-2008, 11:29 PM
I heard about the risks, decided we would buy new. Really easy for us since they're so cheap.

mom2binsd
01-24-2008, 11:43 PM
My DD used her Colgate Classica for 3 years then we gave her mattress to DS (got still needed a crib mattress for her so bought the 2 in 1 Colgate which was so much heavier), there were no instances where any fluids touched the mattress and the mattress is still in perfect condition and very firm. I wouldn't use a mattress from outside our home but I think you can feel confident using a mattress that was your own. Like PP said there are so many factors contributing to SIDS, we didn't do bumpers, used only sleepsacks (DS age 22 months still loves his), no animals in the crib, and bought a very firm mattress with tight fitting sheets. You do what you can and are comfortable with, and pray that you little ones will be safe as I do every night.

bubbaray
01-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Yes, we reused DD#1s with DD#2. The mattress was firm, had a non-fabric cover and I had also always used a mattress cover with it.

emilys_mom
01-25-2008, 12:44 AM
We didn't- it felt very wasteful, but we tossed the old one out (I couldn't even bring myself to sell it knowing the risk) and bought the exact same mattress again.

lisams
01-25-2008, 12:46 AM
Yes, we reused ours. Look at who is funding the research, it's always interesting. Honestly, I think I would be more concerned about the fumes/gasses/flame retardant that a new mattress would give off, whereas an older one would have had time to at least air out more.

s7714
01-25-2008, 12:48 AM
The only reason we didn't is because our older DD continued to sleep on her mattress after DD2 needed the crib, so we bought a second mattress. If we ever have another DC, I fully plan on reusing the mattresses.

maestramommy
01-25-2008, 12:51 AM
Actually Arwyn is currently using Dora's 3rdhand mattress. We got it with the crib. I felt comfy doing it because both previous owners were people we knew and trusted. The mattress is foam with a vinyl cover so I'm not worried about mold or bacteria. Any anyway we also use a mattress cover under the sheet.

So if Dora's mattress had been bought new, yes we would reuse. Actually, Dora is currently sleeping on the newer mattress. We got it when she started sleeping on her tummy because we thought the other one was too soft. Turns out baby mattresses are soft:)

AngelaS
01-25-2008, 07:54 AM
All three of mine used the same mattress and we just passed it on to someone else.

o_mom
01-25-2008, 08:20 AM
DS2 had a new mattress because DS1 was still in his crib. However, Now DS1 is on a used mattress from his cousin in a toddler bed, DS2 is using DS1's original one and DS3 has the one we bought with DS2. So, DS3 is using the newest of the bunch. All are vinyl covered and we always use a waterproof pad on them.

tmarie
01-25-2008, 08:42 AM
We are going to. We bought a great mattress for dd#1, and between the waterproof mattress cover, a sheet saver, and the fact she barely ever leaked diapers or spit up in her crib, I feel confident that it is clean. If the mattress had suffered water penetration or damage, I would buy a new one. But otherwise I think its safe.

KHF
01-25-2008, 08:46 AM
We have a Colgate Classica for my DD (2.5) and when/if we have another one we'll probably use it again. That thing is still hard as a brick and it's always had a cover and a crib sheet on it. And there are no breaches in the cover at all. I can't see spending money on a new one when this one is still perfectly fine. In fact, now that she's older, we have the mattress covered with an egg crate pad, the mattress cover and a sheet.

I might feel differently if we had gone with one with coils in it, but with the Classica, I'm confident that it will be fine.

We practice all of the other SIDS prevention steps, so I'm not worried about using this mattress again. This time around, I'm much more worried about her head shape.

We were so rigid with DD being on her back to sleep that she ended up with plagiocephaly and had to wear a helmet for 3 months. I will probably do more to prop the next baby on alternating sides for sleeping. That's the side of SIDS prevention that you don't hear much about.

I'm not saying that I still don't believe the Back to Sleep campaign is important, but I will be exploring other alternatives when the time comes.

Sorry for veering OT there...
Kirsten

Jen841
01-25-2008, 11:06 AM
Bought a good $120 mattress that had a 20 year warranty (DH joked it would go to college with the kids.)

Do your research carefully. I don't think my friends who lost a child to SIDS bought one for #2 then #3. I could be wrong.

I would check around the SIDS Alliance website. They go with the current findings there.

Kungjo
01-25-2008, 12:39 PM
I used an old mattress that my SIL gave me that was about 4 years old, but DD #1 never really slept in it that much. When DD #2 was born, the mattress was way too old by then so I bought her another mattress and she barely slept in it as well. Should have saved my money and bought her more clothes instead!!! :)

CiderLogan
01-25-2008, 03:00 PM
We re-used ours with absolutely no hesitation. It is a quality mattress with a non-fabric covering (so no fluids could soak into it) AND we always used a waterproof mattress pad AND I know that even the mattress pad only got throughly soaked a handful of times.... so I can't imagine what could have gotten down into the mattress. Also, it was never in our basement or anything - just stayed in the crib after DD1 moved out of the nursery. DD2 is doing just fine. :)

Momof3Labs
01-25-2008, 04:24 PM
We reused the mattress for DS2. I had no hesitations about it. DS1 used it for almost 3.5 years.

hellbennt
01-25-2008, 10:08 PM
I *thought* I'd buy a new mattress for ds2...
but alas, I got lazy or something [insert blushing emoticon]...
so, ds2 is now 18 months & sleeping soundly now as I type ;-)

I like the suggestion of checking out a SIDS organization website...

TonFirst
01-26-2008, 12:37 AM
We have a Colgate Classica and I was going to buy a new mattress until I called Colgate and they told me that there was no need to buy a new one. I figured that if the *mattress manufacturer* told me that I was fine with using the same mattress for #2, then yeah, we're probably fine.

That, along with the facts that there are no tears in the mattress cover, we always used it with a waterproof pad, and as I recall, we never had any bodily fluid leaks (pee, poop, vomit, or otherwise) in the crib, I'm really not concerned.

kijip
01-26-2008, 02:25 AM
Yes. I really think that this used mattress thing applies to older mattresses that have been stored for many years in icky places. Buying a new mattress for each baby seems like a great thing only for the mattress companies. Yeah, I am a cynic.

dhano923
01-26-2008, 03:37 PM
Our pediatrician told us the recommendation referred to using mattresses used by other people, like if your cousin offered to give you their old mattress. He said it's because you don't know what has happened with it, like if there was something spilled on it, or if it sat in a garage for 2 years and has bugs in it. He told me as long as I knew what had gone on with our mattress, it wasn't a concern. DS's mattress never got wet (we had a waterproof mattress pad on it) and had never been stored anywhere and the ped said that was fine.

Also, like the other poster said, SIDS is only a factor for the first 4-6 months.

hillview
01-26-2008, 04:05 PM
We reused. Always had a waterproof pad on it. DS #2 was 4 months when we moved him to the crib.
/hillary

purpleeyes
01-26-2008, 09:51 PM
Oh, dear, I didn't even THINK about this, just automatically assumed we'd reuse. She's been taking naps in there for a few months now and we're about to officially move her in there for the nights... guess I should at least read up on it! Anyone have the SIDS alliance website link?

There is just TOO much to be worried/freaked out about these days.

lmwbasye
01-26-2008, 09:57 PM
We replaced our, although I will admit, we probably didn't need to and I'm being totally overly cautious. I figured for $70 it was worth my peace of mind.