PDA

View Full Version : Appropriate Night Dress

amconwa
01-25-2008, 11:19 AM
I struggle with how to clothe my baby at night. He's just over three weeks. Right now, I layer a onesie with a sleep sack or sleeper. If it's an open sleep sack, I put socks on him. If I can get him into the playpen next to my bed (with the bassinet feature), I tuck him under a receiving blanket from the hospital with the ends tucked under like they tell you to. Last night, I just swaddled him in the fleece Kiddopotamus. He was wearing a onesie and a thin, footed sleeper. Otherwise, he ends up in bed with me, sans the fleece swaddle.

Maybe I am just looking for reassurance. I get worried he's cold. Most of the time, his hands don't feel cold at all.

Anne

kristenk
01-26-2008, 11:54 PM
When DD was a newborn, she'd wear a cotton footed sleeper to bed and sleep swaddled in either a miracle blanket or a plain receiving blanket when she was tiny. No onesie underneath or anything and she was born in mid-February, so it was still pretty cold out. If his hands don't feel cold, I'm sure he's fine!

vludmilla
01-27-2008, 12:05 AM
I generally use the hand and foot test as well. If there hands aren't cool then they are probably are warm enough. OTOH, my pediatrician, whom I respect very much, insists that young babies need to be extra warm so that they don't expend energy unnecessarily regulating their temperature. She actually recommended two pairs of socks or leggings under pants and cardigans over everything. She wanted to DD's skin to feel very warm, not just lukewarm.
HTH

SnuggleBuggles
01-27-2008, 11:15 AM
I always heard not to overdress them b/c overheating is a SIDs risk. So, we did a gown and swaddle blanket. Ds2's room is pretty chilly so on the coldest nights I put him in a fleece sleeper and the cotton knit swaddle blanket.

Beth