PDA

View Full Version : backless boosters

lizajane
01-25-2008, 03:59 PM
i was considering getting a graco backless booster as a "last resort" extra seat for my 4 year old (size of a near 7 year old). he rides in a regent 99.9% of the time. he would ONLY ride in the booster when in another person's car that had headrests on a short ride. the regent is just way too hard to move. is that the worst idea EVER?

Joolsplus2
01-25-2008, 04:04 PM
It's ooooh....kaaay.... sort of... I'd get a highback, it's about 70% safer in side impacts. Put off backless use as long as possible, and even then preferably only in cars with curtain airbags. (Compass B510 is a nice folding choice with adorable covers...)

:)

caleymama
01-25-2008, 06:46 PM
I have to agree with Jools - I'd get a highback. The Compass B510 (DD liked it a lot when she sat in it) would be a great choice. We have a Regent too and it is a beast to move. DD1's secondary seat is a Parkway but we liked the Compass an awful lot too, I just wanted more SIP for the vehicle the booster was going in. I'm get nervous enough with her in the PW - she's only been in it a few times - so it's hard for me to imagine her in a backless. I wouldn't call it the worst idea ever, LOL, but if it were me I'd go with highback and preferably one with some SIP. Just my two cents.

lizajane
01-25-2008, 09:19 PM
It's ooooh....kaaay.... sort of... I'd get a highback, it's about 70% safer in side impacts. Put off backless use as long as possible, and even then preferably only in cars with curtain airbags. (Compass B510 is a nice folding choice with adorable covers...)

the reason i wasn't going to buy a high back was 3x the cost, 3x the size and i already have a second seat for most non family car rides. but i have two kids. so on the blue moon occasion that BOTH my kids go somewhere together with another mom... they are very close in age and currently only have one best friend in common. but just yesterday we had to borrow a seat from someone else so that my friend could pick up both kids at preschool and bring them back to her house, where i was babysitting her sleeping DS.

Joolsplus2
01-26-2008, 09:34 AM
Yeah, I figured...I just wanted you to know that it's simply not as safe. Safe, yes, As safe, No. Just so you can make an informed decision http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-09/chop-htb090905.php (I put my own kids that young in no-backs, but only in a car with curtain airbags)

lizajane
01-27-2008, 12:23 AM
THANKS. i just couldn't find the right info for myself!!!

Yeah, I figured...I just wanted you to know that it's simply not as safe. Safe, yes, As safe, No. Just so you can make an informed decision http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-09/chop-htb090905.php (I put my own kids that young in no-backs, but only in a car with curtain airbags)