PDA

View Full Version : ACK, she's using a BundleMe!!!!!

babystuffbuff
01-25-2008, 10:29 PM
A nice, thick one in my beautiful, perfect, four-week-old nephew's carseat!!! And the chest clip is down on his cute little belly. I saw this in a picture, not in person, so I'm not sure if I can even say anything, but it sure does break my heart. *sigh*

mom2binsd
01-25-2008, 11:28 PM
I was at the ped's office this morning and saw about 7 Bundle Me's, there seems to be no education in the mainstream that these are not safety tested, when I pointed it out to a friend she said the packaging said it was, I explained it wasn't safety tested on every seat and therefore would void any warranty and did not then mean it was safe but it continues to be used and it's hard for most to see how it interferes with the seat straps and that in general nothing should be used with seat that doesn't come with the seat. You can try to point this out, and offer the suggestion to just use a blanket over the baby, in fact I think most babies in those Bundle Me's look like they'd get so hot!

Davids-Coco
01-26-2008, 03:01 AM
In terms of hotness... these things are awesome... on our stroller! It keeps DS just warm enough. But that is about it. ;)

KBecks
01-26-2008, 09:16 AM
If you talk to the parents, I'd just simply let them know that the chest clip is lower than it should be for the seat to be effective in a crash and that they should do it higher to get the protection they expect. I know Bundle Me's aren't ideal, thankfully they are seasonal and I would not freak out over seeing one getting used.

Joolsplus2
01-26-2008, 09:36 AM
I hate them... but so far no one's sued those companies for a dead or injured baby...and millions of them are in use, so they probably aren't *that* bad (that helps me get over my upset when I see them at use, anyway...sigh...)

babystuffbuff
01-26-2008, 10:52 AM
I hate them... but so far no one's sued those companies for a dead or injured baby...and millions of them are in use, so they probably aren't *that* bad (that helps me get over my upset when I see them at use, anyway...sigh...)

I know that in the grand scheme of things it's hardly the worst thing they could be doing....it's just hard to see that beautiful babe in a less-than-ideal setup. The good news is that he's in his sister's Primo Viaggo (not expired, she's only 2) which is one of the old 20lb models. He's a big baby, so maybe he'll outgrow it sooner than later and make the BundleMe a non-issue.

(Then his parents can put him in his sister's RA and start counting down to his birthday so they can flip him FF the instant he turns one...*sigh*.....)

mom2bmarch2008
01-26-2008, 11:55 AM
I didn't know bundle me's are bad - so many parents I konw use them (sorry if this gives you the heebie geebies). What else can one use besides blankets - right now it is -20 here! There are only so many blankets you can pile

Thanks

KrisM
01-26-2008, 12:52 PM
I didn't know bundle me's are bad - so many parents I konw use them (sorry if this gives you the heebie geebies). What else can one use besides blankets - right now it is -20 here! There are only so many blankets you can pile

Thanks

You can use a "shower cap" style of cover. It has elastic around it and covers the seat completely. I had this one:

http://www.takeastroll.com/snuggler.htm

It has an open face area, but DD was 6 months when we started using it and I just covered her face if necessary.

You can get similiar things that zip completely shut, too.

o_mom
01-26-2008, 04:00 PM
We use a showercap style with fleece on the inside and windbreaker material on the outside. So far DS3 hasn't frozen and is usually pretty darn warm when I take him out. It has been pretty cold the last week, 13-15F for the highs and usually around 5F (-15C) in the mornings when we go to school. A thin fleece snowsuit can work also without the interference with the harness in the back.

sivan
01-27-2008, 11:52 AM
i think lands end has a showercap one too. that, and a nice fleece bunting with the straps tight!

Aunt to sweet baby boy
01-27-2008, 12:26 PM
I saw someone using a bundle me in So Cal one day when it was about 60 outside in the fall. Unless the parents put the A/C on in the car I would imagine this baby sweating and getting so hot in their seat with all that thick warm fabric around them.

sivan
01-27-2008, 05:31 PM
there is a bundle me lite version- they might have had that one. but yeah, not safe, sigh.

801kelle
01-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Here is some info you can pass onto your family members.. to nicely try to help educate them:

A Note on Car Seat Covers
Many companies also offer thick car seat covers that act like a bunting for babies in the winter. Parents should avoid buying any car seat cover or infant bunting that threads through the harness straps of their child's car seat. Often the packaging of these covers states that the product meets all federal car seat safety guidelines. However, there are no federal guidelines governing after-market car seat accessories. These extra car seat covers and buntings could interfere with the function of the car seat harness, and many car seat manufacturers will void your car seat warranty if after-market accessories are used.

Article quote above came from:

http://babyproducts.about.com/od/carseats/a/carseatcoat.htm

GREAT ARTICLE ABOUT USING AFTER MARKET PRODUCTS WITH YOUR CAR SEAT:

http://cpsafety.com/articles/AftMarketMan.aspx

QUOTE FROM ABOVE ARTICLE:

Britax's statement: "The use of non-Britax Child Safety, Inc covers, inserts, toys, accessories, or tightening devices is not approved by Britax. Their use could cause this restraint to fail Federal Safety Standards or perform worse in a crash. Their use automatically voids the Britax warranty." (This statement can be found under the Warranty section of all Britax Child Restraint manuals)

HERE IS ANOTHER ARTICLE and QUOTE:

the Texas Department of Public Safety recommends that you 'keep your child in the clothes they will be wearing when they are indoors. Place the child in the infant seat or car seat, making sure the harness straps are snug over the shoulders and that they lie straight and flat down to the buckle. Buckle the child in and THEN put the coat or blanket OVER them - on TOP of the harness system. You can even turn the coat around and put his arms through the sleeves after he is buckled into his car seat. This will ensure your kids are kept snug in their seat, the harness system is able to do its job in the event of a crash, and that the kids stay warm.'

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration also recommends that 'to keep your baby the safest, always remove bulky clothing or blankets before you place the child in the seat. Then, put the blanket or coat over the baby. You should never place anything thick underneath the baby, unless that item came with the car seat originally — which tells you it's been tested by the manufacturer.

ARTICLE QUOTES IS FROM:

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/carseats/a/0107_wintercoat.htm

801kelle
01-28-2008, 12:41 PM
In regards to the chest clip here is a great article that talks about to correctly put your child in their seat:

Quote from article link below:

A car seat will not protect your child unless it is used correctly. Every time. Here are some features to think about:

Chest clip must be at armpit level.

The chest clip is designed to keep the harness straps properly positioned on the shoulders before a crash. This clip is ONLY for pre-crash positioning. A chest clip that is too high may interfere with the child's ability to breathe. A chest clip that is too low could allow the straps to slip off the shoulders before a crash, leaving the child free to slip out of the seat

The safety harness must fit the child snugly.

"As snug as a hug" is a good guideline. You don't want your child to have problems breathing, but a too loose harness could have devastating results. Many instruction manuals suggest that only one or two fingers fit under the harness at collarbone level, but this could be too loose, depending on the size of the fingers. Instead, use the pinch test: grabbing the harness at shoulder level, try to "pinch" the harness together from top to bottom. You should not be able to pinch a vertical fold on a snug harness.

The safety harness must be in the slots that are at or below the child's shoulders.
In a rear-facing seat, the harness will hold the child down and in the seat in a crash. The harness must be at or below the shoulders to do this properly. If the harness is above the shoulders, the child can "ramp up" or rotate toward the top of the seat, exposing the head and neck to possible injury. For newborns and very young babies, the bottom harness slot may still be above the shoulders. As long as the harness is in the bottom slots, and the harness is snug, this will protect the baby.

http://cpsafety.com/articles/RFbasics.aspx

Also this article addresses aftermarket products:

Avoid using add-on products
Anything that did not come in the box with the seat could potentially put your child at risk. Adding strap covers could cause the chest clip to be positioned incorrectly. An added head support cushion could compress in a crash, introducing slack in the harness and allowing the child to be ejected from the seat. In general, you want nothing under baby or between baby and the straps that is any thicker than a placemat. Adding NOTHING under, behind or between baby and the straps is the best. Also, keep in mind that any product you add that is not included with the seat can release the manufacturer from being responsible for any injuries your child may suffer in their seat.

ckate1
01-28-2008, 04:43 PM
We were given a shower cap style cover for my daughter when she was born in Nov '03. It was made by Eddie Bauer and had nylon on one side and thick fleece on the other with a little window that I'd close between house-car-store-car-house. I never bought her a snowsuit or any kind of one piece thing. When it got really cold I'd tuck a flannel blanket around her and pop the shower cap on, fleece side down. She was always very toasty and I never had to worry about extra padding interfering with the car seat straps; or wrangling her teeny body in and out of thick winter clothes! It was perfect for her little brother born two years later (just shy of her birthday:)).

801kelle
01-28-2008, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=mom2bmarch2008]I didn't know bundle me's are bad - so many parents I konw use them (sorry if this gives you the heebie geebies). What else can one use besides blankets - right now it is -20 here! There are only so many blankets you can pile

One blanket over your baby in the car should be sufficient.. I live in Utah and it is below freezing all the time here in the winter and that is all I did. If you use the heater in your car you will be fine.. I would always carry a thicker blanket so when we were going in and out of places to and from the car I would throw that on and then in the car just a light blanket.. you don't want your baby to overheat which can be dangerous if you pile to many blankets on and have them in a warm car with the heater on.

nbs2
01-28-2008, 06:04 PM
We tried the shower cap, but ended up giving it to some friends. We found that on our KF, it was just too small to get a good fit. We just put on a few more blankets and made sure that she was dressed warmly. Anything more, and we either just stayed inside or helped her just "get used to the cold".

801kelle
01-28-2008, 06:21 PM
[QUOTE=mom2bmarch2008]I didn't know bundle me's are bad - so many parents I konw use them (sorry if this gives you the heebie geebies). What else can one use besides blankets - right now it is -20 here! There are only so many blankets you can pile

Here is some good information on keeping your baby warm in the winter, but not too warm and cool enough in the summer:

When winter storms in, it's important that you make sure your baby stays warm and dry. But if you're like most new parents, dealing with a squirmy baby in a bulky jacket, blankets that fall off, and a diaper bag may sound like a huge hassle. Here are tips to make it easy to keep your baby healthy, warm and comfortable, whether you're going grocery shopping or tucking your child in for the night.

Easy-on, easy-off outer layers. A snowsuit or bunting provides a great buffer against the cold and snow. Once your baby is dressed in his outfit for the day, you can simply slip him into the snowsuit or bunting just before you head out the door or get out of the car. Snowsuits have form-fitting legs and arms, and most are equipped with hoods, while buntings are more like little sleeping bags, with a seam between the legs to make stroller snap-ins easier. Look for gear with a good layer of insulation and a water-repellent exterior fabric such as fleece, flannel, or fiberfill.

Once you're indoors — even if it's just for a stop at the supermarket — take at least one layer off your baby so he won't perspire. Otherwise, the dampness will make him colder when you get back out in the winter air. And if you've covered your baby with a blanket in the car, you'll want to take it off once the car warms up.

Quote article came from:

http://www.babycenter.ca/baby/safety/babywarmallwinter/