PDA

View Full Version : Car seats questions for a 3 yr and 10 mth old and a newborn

shp
01-26-2008, 12:47 AM
Hello,

I am new to this board and have found a lot of useful information on car seats. However, after searching the forum for a while, I still could not find answers to some of my questions. I am hoping the car seat experts here can give me some advice.

I have a 3 years and 10 months old daughter who is about 41" tall and weighs about 38 pounds. I just noticed that her shoulder is slightly above the top slot of her current convertible seat (Cosco Scenera). So I really need to find another car seat for her soon. Based on her height and weight, I think she is qualified for a booster. Right now, the booster seats I have in minds are Britax Parkway, Britax Monarch, Compass B510. But after reading the posts here I am concerned that booster might not be a safe choice for her, because sometimes DD does fall asleep in the car and could be squirming a lot if not well harnessed. If it's really necessary, I am willing to consider buying the Britax Regent or Sun Shine Kids Radian 65/80 to keep her 5-point harnessed for as long as possible.

We took DD to test sit the Radian 80 at Buy Buy Baby last weekend, but found that the top slot is only about 1 to 1.5 inches above her shoulder. I don't know how much longer the radian is gonna keep her 5-point harnessed. As for the Regent, it just looks so big and I am concerned if the seat would fit in our Toyota Camry 2007.

To complicate the issue a bit more, we have a newborn on the way (my OB told me he/she is arriving anytime soon from now.) The newborn will use my daughter's snugride bought 4 years ago. I've heard that the back center position is the safest place for a infant car seat (please educate me if I'm wrong on this). Is it possible to get good installations of the infant seat in the center of the back seat and the booster (or Radian, Regent) on the driver side's back seat of a Camry 2007?

Can someone chime in to provide your experiences or advise me on which combination of seats and installation positions would be feasible and provide good safety for both kids? Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

KrisM
01-26-2008, 12:53 AM
How about the Graco Nautilus? It harness to 65lbs and then becomes a booster.

It takes quite a bit at this age for their torsos to grow an inch or two. My son is the same age as your daughter and it's been a while since we adjusted his strap height in the Boulevard.

Your older daughter should be in the center, if possible. Rear-facing is much safer than forward-facing. The center is safer than outboard. So, it's recommended that you balance it out by putting the forward-facing child in the most protected seat in the vehicle (center).

I have no experience with your car, so I can't help there. But, someone else here is bound to offer up some help!

o_mom
01-26-2008, 08:31 AM
What Kris said :)

I think the Graco Nautilus would be good to look at. It would probably harness your DD for another 2 years and then become a booster.

The Radian is very narrow and might make it easier to fit her in the center next to the infant seat. Get the Radian 65 if you go with that seat as the 80 is not any taller and she will likely outgrow it on height before 65 lbs. That 1-1.5 inches could be a 18-24 months before she outgrows it.

The Regent is wide, so you would have to put them both outboard with that seat, but it would last 4-6 years for her.

Safest would be to have the forward facing child center, but you may not be able to fit one center and one outboard. Any seat in the back is very safe, so don't feel bad if you want them outboard or can't fit one center.

Joolsplus2
01-26-2008, 09:45 AM
Get a nice harnessed seat like the Marathon or Radian, don't worry at all about whether it becomes a booster. Here's why: the scenera will expire before the baby outgrows it. You'll need another harnessed seat at that point. THEN your older kiddo will be mature enough to be safe in a booster (skeletally mature enough to be safeR than she is now, psychologically mature enough to sit still). So if the Radian only has a couple inches growth room now, that's really all you need :) (the 65 is fine, unless you really want the pretty pink one that only comes on the 80...).
And seconding (thirding?) that the forward facing kiddo should be in the center, baby rearfacing outboard if possible, but it's also ok to do what fits best (if you guys are very tall in the front seat and the convertible doesn't recline enough for the newborn behind you, then the center may be necessary).
:)

shp
02-04-2008, 02:47 PM
Hello, Ladies,

Thank you all so much for your response! :D

I'm inclined to buy a Radian 65 for my daughter now after reading your suggestions. My only concern is that if Radian would have a good installation on a 2007 Camry. As I can recall, some posts seemed to have mentioned that it's sometimes hard to get a good installation of radian with seatbelt in a Camry. I am hoping someone with a similar car and installation experience can shed some light on this? Thanks again! :)