PDA

View Full Version : So long since I CD'd - need a refresher!

C99
01-26-2008, 01:24 AM
I CD'd my first until he was 2 and my second for about 6 months and then gave it up because I just couldn't keep it up. After spending $80+/month in diapers and wipes at Costco for 2 kids for the past 9 months, I am ready for DD to PT and thinking about switching DS2 over to cloth at the same time.

DD is on the cusp of PT and I thought putting her into cloth might push her in the right direction. In addition to this, she's very tall and diapers (or pull-ups) don't fit her properly - poops out the back, etc.

And then if I am doing diaper laundry anyway, might as well do it for DS2 at the same time. He's had persistent diaper rash and cries when I change/wipe him, so I think a change of covering might help too.

I want to do an AIO or pocket diaper for ease-of-use and I just can't see DS2 staying still long enough to wrangle him into prefold or fitted + cover.

So...what do I buy? I'd like to buy used -- is there anywhere to do that anymore? -- to save money and for other reasons. DD is 39" and about 33 lbs. with a medium build. She is wearing 3T in most brands now. DS2 is 29" and over 20 lbs. His thighs are not substantial - he's mostly long-legged w/ a barrel chest.

KrisM
01-26-2008, 09:22 AM
I can't offer much help, as we use prefolds and covers. But, I do know that www.diaperswappers.com has a good for sale board.

bcafe
01-26-2008, 11:15 AM
I love Angelwraps for AIO's. The bm comes right off the microfleece so easily. We also have Very Baby AIO's. They have a snap in liner that is nice.
I am an aplix fan, so no snaps here. However, I am looking at some one size dipes for the next babe and they have snaps. For night, I mostly use prefolds/covers.
Betsy

caleymama
01-26-2008, 11:33 AM
Another rec for diaperswappers - that's where I sold off most of my stash when we were done CDing.

My favorites for DD2 were Happy Heinys stuffed with 2 microfiber towels wrapped around 1 Joeybunz. That combo was our overnight set-up for months and was also great during the day. I'd say they were the bulk of our stash. The Larges seemed to have a nice high rise which worked well for my long and lean DD. I had one PT FuzziBunz, but the snaps were a pain in the neck for everyone but me so it didn't get a lot of love.

I had a couple of Angelwraps too and while the fleece was nice we always had issues with leaking around the legholes, even with an additional soaker added.

I also had some late found love for Motherease one-size - I'd add a fleece-topped hemp soaker (actually liked some from Angelwraps, but I've seen them lots of places) to keep the wetness away and make poop removal easier. The Motherease Airflow covers were great and easy too. I think I liked the ME Rikki Wraps too. For an Aplix cover I liked the Bumpy Day, but IME it ran small.

The BumGenius diapers were just getting big as we were stopping CDing so I never tried them but I know a lot of people love them. One thing that I wasn't crazy about was that I think they have a suedecloth inner - I prefered fleece for DD.

Good luck!

rocklobster
01-26-2008, 02:05 PM
I love BumGenius diapers!!! I have also tried Haute Pockets (similar to BumGenius) but the PUL lining on one of them peeled off??? The company replaced it. I also like Thirsties Fab Fitteds (they have a microfleece inner) but they need a cover, unlike BumGenius and Haute Pockets.

I have tried the BumGenius 2.0 and the 3.0 and in my opinion they are not that different. The 2.0's are on clearance everywhere. I also saw that nickisdiapers.com has Haute Pockets on sale.

Good luck!!

american_mama
01-27-2008, 11:07 PM
For used diapers, www.diaperswappers.com is probably the biggest. There is also diapertraders.com and the Trading Post at MDC, if you have enough posts.

bumGenius is a one-size pocket diaper that works well for many people and might fit both your kids (your daughter might be on the verge of outgrowing it). If you buy used, make sure you ask what version it is. 1.0 was made with nylon (a little stiff), verison 2.0 was made with PUL, and version 3.0 is pretty new and made with PUL and minor improvements in the waist and tabs (leakproof tabs, stronger aplix, and a change in stitching to reduce wicking at the waist). Most people either prefer the 3.0 or think it's pretty close to 2.0.

Happy Heiny has a one-size AIO that I once read a bunch of raves for. It is supposed to ahve a puffy butt and not fit newborns well, but neither may be as much a factor with the age of your kids.

For AIO, I am not an expert, but bumgenius and Swaddlebees both make AIOs. They are widely available on sites like softclothbunz.com, nikkisdiapers.com, naturalbabies.com and more, so you could order multiple brands at those stores. If you want to go more specific, I've heard good things about AIO made by Lullabye Diapers, Very Baby, and Girl Woman Goddess (but those are expensive and ahrd to get). Nana's Bottoms are supposed to be good and inexpensive, but I think she uses flannel in many of her diapers, which doesn't wear well. But she may also offer a choice of fabrics.

Lastly, here is an AIO that intrigues me. IT has stretchy tabs like bumGenius.
http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/allinone.htm#sposoeasy

For pockets, I know a lot about them. Swaddlebees are very trim and work better with a microfiber insert (the hemp insert often wicked even with my light wetter). When my DD was close to your daughter's age and size, my favorite pockets were Swaddlebees, Celtic Cloth, Harleyz, Green Acre Designs (only with the hemp insert though), and bumGenius. All except bumGenius have a pretty narrow crotch, which I like, and works best with their own inserts which are made to fit the narrow crotch. Fuzzibunz also just came out with a new design, don't know anything about it, so there may be a lot of older style ones on the market. For your DS, if he is big-chested, you might look into Chloe Toes diapers, which are supposed to fit well under the belly button. Her website looks like she is still open, but I don't think she has tons of turnover. Angel Luv also sells diapers made with the Chloe Toes pattern, but her quality is apparently pretty uneven. I had one diaper from her (different pattern, though) and liked it, but I have read some bad reviews, so it's a bit of a crapshoot.

caleymama
01-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Thought of another pocket diaper that I liked - Snap-EZ.
http://www.snap-ez.com/Shopping.html
I see that she now has AIOs, but we only tried a pocket diaper. PUL outer and microfleece inner. It was very nice.

I had 1 custom AIO (AI2, really) from AngelDry Diapers and I loved it!
http://angeldrydiapers.com/store/WsDefault.asp?One=22
PUL outer, microfleece inner, microfleece lined soaker, touchtape closure was what I chose and it was a fabulous diaper for DD. I could add an additional soaker underneath the snap-in depending on the circumstance.
As an aside, I also like my custom mama cloth from her as well.