PDA

View Full Version : Lotion recommendations?

codex57
01-26-2008, 05:05 PM
We've tried some of the Johnson & Johnson stuff. The perfume in all the ones we've tried are just overwhelming.

What recommendations do you guys have? Higher end stuff is ok too since DS primarily has dry skin on his face so we don't need huge gobs of the stuff.

SnuggleBuggles
01-26-2008, 05:14 PM
We use California Baby. I've head Eucerin is really good too.

http://www.amazon.com/California-Baby-Sensitive-Fragrance-Everyday/dp/B000A1CYGM/ref=pd_bbs_sr_6?ie=UTF8&s=beauty&qid=1201382065&sr=8-6

You can get both at Target.

Beth

happy2bamom
01-26-2008, 05:41 PM
I love the Arbonne baby line. My kids have very senstive skin, and this stuff has been great for us. Plus , it has no scent. We use the body wash too, which I think helps. We got the products as a baby gift for DS#2, and I wish that I would've known about it for DS#1. Maybe could've avoided the eczema and cradle cap. HTH

hellokitty
01-26-2008, 05:50 PM
Burt's bee's, aveeno and our very favorite... aquaphor, great for butts and faces, lol!

amandabea
01-26-2008, 07:12 PM
my all-time favorite for me and DD is Banana Boat Aloe Aftersun Lotion. It is thick, but not greasy at all, has virtually no scent and doesn't irritate (I have very sensitive skin that becomes very dry if I don't lotion up every day). It used to be very inexpensive -- like $3 for a 16oz bottle, but now I only ever see it for $6 or $7. It might be seasonal depending on where you live, but I swear it is the best lotion I've ever used.

emmiem
01-26-2008, 07:24 PM
Curel or Eucerin, all have fragance free versions. Best lotions around. All my girls have very dry sensitive skin.
Michele

nupe
01-27-2008, 10:00 AM
Mom & Baby Balm

It is thick--and works really well. I usualy use this when eucerin doesn't seem to help. It is frag free, and a little goes a long way. You can go to the store and request a sample to try it first. It is pricey at $40 for the large size; it goes on sale periodically or you can get it during f%f for 25% off.

http://usa.loccitane.com/FO/Catalog/Product.aspx?prod=01BB150KA&cat=Search

MontrealMum
01-27-2008, 05:28 PM
We tried the Johnson & Johnson (DH's bright idea) and I had a sneezing fit that wouldn't stop. I am highly sensitive to perfumes and other things due to massive allergies, and it's a good bet DS will be too - he already sneezes quite a bit, and his skin seems to be very sensitive.

We are now sticking with the baby lines from Aveeno and Mustela, and would also consider L'Occitane (their shea butter line is great) and Dr. Hauschka (which I use myself.) All pretty pricey (except the Aveno) but very effective for dry skin, allergy-safe, and they don't provoke my eckzema.

L'Occitane stores are great at giving out free samples if you go in and talk to the clerk. Personally, I consider it well worth the money, they've never caused a breakout for me, unlike some supposed "hypoallergenic" brands, and even though they use perfumes, they don't trigger my allergies. They also sell online.

Tondi G
01-29-2008, 09:08 PM
we use the Aveeno baby soothing relief moisture cream and it ROCKS! I use it too!

erosenst
01-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Our ped recommended the generic version of Vaseline Advanced Healing. Abby has very dry skin and is prone to exczema, and it's always worked great. FWIW, we had used Eucerin for a while, and it didn't work as well.

HTH -

Emily
Abby 4

MamaMolly
01-29-2008, 11:08 PM
I used Cetaphil for DD. It was very effective for her dry skin last winter.

gatorsmom
01-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Our Pediatric Dermatologist recommended Vanicream for DS when he had terrible eczema and other mysterious allergic skin reactions. You can get it at Walgreens. It's really great. I can't remember the price but it comes in a big jar with a pump. You can also get Vanicream bar soap and lotion with sunscreen for babies.

Kindra178
01-30-2008, 04:45 PM
Aquaphor. We have kept my ds' exzema in check due to our liberal usage. I find that it's cheapest at Costco, even using coupons at Target. We also use Cetaphil - I like how it's paraben free.

codex57
02-01-2008, 02:51 AM
What's paraben?

MontrealMum
02-02-2008, 12:51 AM
I am not sure if I remember all that my derm told me about this, the important part is that it is one of a number of things that can make people with eczema/sensitive/allergic skin have rections, but I *think* that paraben is a wax derivative that is used in beauty products as a preservative.

I had a series of horrible reactions about 10 years ago and spent hours and hours in the aisles of stores reading labels. At that time it was in nearly everything. Strangely enough it is found in lots of things that are supposed to be for the allergy-prone and skin-sensitive (like Neutrogena and Almay), but is often not in cheaper brands or things not marketed to sensitive skin (Clairol Herbal Essences - if you can get over your sneezing fit due to the scent, it won't cause breakouts!) The only other way to avoid parabens and other chemicals like it is to pay lots of $$$ for products.

I was hugely into Cetaphil lotion for awhile too, but their cleanser is (strangely) not paraben free, so those with a sensitivity may want to avoid it.

MommyAllison
02-02-2008, 04:00 PM
We love using Naturally Luxe products for our DD, who has eczema and sensitive skin. It's a WAHM product line, and Whitney is super sweet. She is going to stock again pretty soon, I believe. www.hyenacart.com/naturallyluxe So far we use the Head to Toe Baby Wash and Wipes Solution Concentrate as shampoo and baby wash for DD. (We use her products for DH and I as well) We'll try the lotion next. :)

MOM2u2
02-12-2008, 02:35 PM
Both of our kids were diagnosed with eczema last week, the doctor suggested eucerin, I don't like the idea of the greasy feel of it, my best friend growing up used it, but it never really touched her eczema. So I decided to try a Melaleuca lotion - RENEW Intensive Skin Therapy - that I had (it is the only thing that has worked on some dry patches on my arms, including Rx), in just a couple of days it is having amazing results. I'm not sure what the link is, but there was a study comparing it to eucerin and performed significantly better. This is a link to their site, it isn't something that is available in stores, it is available online or through their reps. Their products go a long way, (I have had the lotion 8oz for over a year-no I don't use it daily, but I don't need to). Also if you have concerns about cleaning chemicals look into their cleaning products. I love them (no I don't sell them, I just like the products) http://www.melaleuca.com/ps/index.cfm?f=ps.productList&l1=1&l2=10&l3=35&sCatId=35

Mommy of Sasha & Braden

KBecks
02-12-2008, 05:15 PM
Try a cream instead of a lotion. I've been happy with Aveeno's cream.

cmonbaby
02-12-2008, 07:54 PM
Another aquaphor user here. DS has eczema and this is the only thing that helps. We lube him up from head to toe after bath. We did use Aveeno baby lotion when he was younger with some luck.