PDA

View Full Version : has anyone ever purchased different brand crib and combo dresser?

tmonroe
01-26-2008, 05:53 PM
husband and i are thinking about doing this but don't want the babies room to look mismatched.

hellokitty
01-26-2008, 06:12 PM
It's going to look mismatched anyway, if your crib doesn't convert into a twin or full size bed, so I wouldn't worry about it. To be quite honest, you should focus more on making sure the baby has a nice bedroom set when they are in their big girl or big boy set, b/c the nursery furniture only ends up being used for about 2 yrs, if that.

tmonroe
01-26-2008, 07:39 PM
It's going to look mismatched anyway, if your crib doesn't convert into a twin or full size bed, so I wouldn't worry about it. To be quite honest, you should focus more on making sure the baby has a nice bedroom set when they are in their big girl or big boy set, b/c the nursery furniture only ends up being used for about 2 yrs, if that.

thanks. the bed does convert to a full size and toddler bed but i guess the color we are choosing there are other items similar in other brands so it doesn't matter if it matches exactly, right? i agree a bout setting up a nice bedroom set when the child is 2 or 3.

Wife_and_mommy
01-26-2008, 08:08 PM
FWIW, my ds's nursery furn. doesn't match exactly. It's close enough, though, that only I know it's not a matching set.

DebbieJ
01-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Our crib and dresser are two different brands, but they are close enough that no one ever noticed.

hez
01-28-2008, 07:09 PM
Our crib didn't match the dresser / changing table. The new bed doesn't match now, either. It does flow, and it's close enough. Until I got married none of my bedroom furniture ever matched, and I don't think it was a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

mudder17
01-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Hmm...DD#1's room has a bed from IKEA, a dresser that was my old dresser, and some organizers from IKEA. DD#2's room has a crib from BRU whose brand escapes me, DH's old dresser, and a full-size bed from the 1920's (family heirloom). Nothing matches. But honestly, the girls don't care, and their playmates don't care and their playmate's parents don't care. :D

I would choose furniture that you're going to love and if the crib does convert to a toddler and then a full-size bed, then maybe you can choose dressers and other furniture that are made of the same kind of wood and stain so the colors are in harmony, but just choose something that you'll love. Good luck!

pb&j
01-28-2008, 07:30 PM
It's all supposed to match? Whoops.

SnuggleBuggles
01-28-2008, 08:30 PM
Dresser from IKEA, crib from Babies R Us, other stuff from random places. But, that's how we roll in my house. :) We don't have sets in any room but the dining room. The woods weren't even the same for ds' crib and dresser. They weren't right next to each other and they looked close enough.

Beth

Tondi G
01-28-2008, 08:37 PM
we had a Pali Crib and a Rumble Tuff dresser/hutch. It looked great!

C99
01-28-2008, 10:27 PM
I did this for our nursery and I think it looked really cool, actually!

LaCostaMom
01-29-2008, 02:00 PM
Ours don't match either. We have Ragazzi cribs (maple) and a Bona Vita changer/dresser (white). We're making it work!

rachelh
01-29-2008, 07:10 PM
When we were buying a crib for DD we would not afford to buy a new dresser for her room so we stuck with a white crib this way it would be easier to match with a dresser down the line. We actually did get a drresser a few months ago and it looks great - the white is a drop off but you cannot tell at all!

I would say if your not hooked on a speciifc color I would stick to white because it is much eaier to match.

codex57
02-01-2008, 02:53 AM
Hand me down crib and an Ikea dresser. They look close enough.

It's just baby furniture. Lots of kids only end up using the crib for a few months.

amconwa
02-03-2008, 12:15 PM
I had the same concern about mismatched furniture, BUT I also didn't want it to look *too* matchy-matchy, KWIM? (I watch a lot of Oprah with Nate Berkus.) :) We bought a Stanley YA crib in a coffee stain, and we're actually aiming for oak in all other furniture. We bought a Lea children's six drawer dresser in oak, and we have an oak rocker. The laminate flooring is oak-ish. (Although the oaks don't *match* necessarily; they just coordinate.) So, the crib stands out beautifully. That was a good recommendation from a furniture store employee. She said if you are not buying a set and want to coordinate well, consider making only one piece stand out, kind of like a focal point. The dresser will grow will with my son, and the crib will be used (hopefully) by more children.

HTH,
Anne