PDA

View Full Version : Gently Admonishing Strangers

emily_gracesmama
01-26-2008, 06:42 PM
Do you do it? if you see a chubby baby with her head busting out of an older snugride with loose chest clip at the belly button. this was their 5th kid and saw them at coldstone which isn't cheap so i didn't get the feel it was a money issue, just ignorance. i am kicking myself for not saying anything, but i didn't know how to go about it..

Joolsplus2
01-26-2008, 06:58 PM
I usually don't say anything...I've read too many stories of very :32: parents that have scared me off it. Sometimes brave and kindly people do say something and get a good reaction, but I'm a coward.

Edit... Ok, if you do want to say something, couch it in glowing compliments. EG: "Oh, I just love that fabric on your seat! What a cute baby! I think the chest clip should be up at armpit level. What cute shoes she has!" You want to do everything you can do to avoid it looking like criticism, because people invariably think that carseat mistakes make them a terrible parent (It doesn't but that's really how people seem feel, and then they get all defensive and don't learn anything).

lizajane
01-27-2008, 12:20 AM
love the idea to hide the suggestion admist the compliments. something else i do- i pretend i JUST got this NEW advice somewhere... like, "what a cutie pie!!! i can hardly remember mine at that age. oh! ya know! i was JUST talking to my friend with a newborn and she said her birthing class had a section about carseats, so she told me that even my older kids need their chest clips right at armpit level. apparently, it is true to newborns even to kids who are 4 or whatever, so long as they are in seats. anyway. just thought i should pass along this great stuff i got from her. and i just LOVE those shoes. enjoy this super fun time! it ends so fast!"

Nooknookmom
01-27-2008, 12:25 AM
I've always had a hard time holding my tounge. 12 yrs of carseats have provided too much info for me not to *share* w/ the ignorant, lol.

But then again I have a BIG mouth ;)

I'm always nice though and never had anyone get angry with me. Some just ignore my "assistane" & walk off. Can't help everyone I guess.

It really bugs me though when I see people who can obviously afford a new seat & still cram their kiddo in one that is past it's prime/outgrown.

SnuggleBuggles
01-27-2008, 11:09 AM
I have never said anything face to face. Sometimes I talk to the baby and say things like, "Look how safe and secure you are in your car seat with your little clip right up by your armpits." or something like that. I frequently did that with ds1 regarding shopping cart straps. :)

I did, however, wait in my car one day till a car seat offender made their way into the store then I left a note on their windshield about car seat safety. There are too many crazies out there for me to say things directly to them but I wanted to do something.

Beth