PDA

View Full Version : HEPA Vacuum - Lead Paint Dust

rgabrielle
01-27-2008, 01:40 AM
I've seen a number of older posts recommending the purchase of a vacuum with a HEPA filter to help minimize lead paint dust. I live in a pre-war apartment that I am almost certain has lead paint, and am looking to purchase a HEPA vacuum. Does anyone have particular recommendations for what brands/models would be best? I've read that certain brands are better than others in picking up lead-dust particulars, but all the information that I've received is from several years back. We have both carpeting and wood floors and a set of stairs. Any tips would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Gabby

ellies mom
01-27-2008, 02:57 AM
No vacuum tips, but repainting (windows, doorways and trim especially) encapsulates the lead and really eliminates a lot of the problem. If you still have wooden window frames that you actually open and close, then wipe them down frequently with a damp cloth because that really picks up a lot of the lead dust and the window sills are where a lot of the dust gathers because of the movement of the window. If the you need to sand a chip, then use wet sandpaper, wipe it frequently with a damp paper towel to help pick up the dust. Don't go overboard sanding, just knock the edge off and repaint. Really, repainting is huge.

Nooknookmom
01-27-2008, 05:43 PM
I'm a painting contractor & "what she said", lol.

Really you don't need a HEPA for everyday use. Only if your doing a major paint renovation where there is actual lead dust. You would wet sand anything as PP said anyway.

The HEPA is more for commercial contractor use.

I live in a 98 yr old home & just wipe everything down occasionally. When I need to repaint a sill/jam, I don't even sand it, I know how to *level* any chipped areas w/ patch or caulk. Then I primer it & paint. Thus encapsulating the lead.

HTH!

ThreeofUs
01-27-2008, 05:57 PM
There are a few good studies out showing that lead paint dust and chips in the carpet may actually be more of a problem, as any walking disturbs it and kids are nearer to it (and so touch and breathe more).

If you are very worried, you might try getting rid of the carpets. (But make sure you damp them down first before removing, otherwise the dust and chips get everywhere!)