PDA

View Full Version : Checking a CarSeat with Luggage

shburks
01-27-2008, 01:29 PM
OK, girls, love some advice here. This summer we will be moving from Hawaii to Kansas and will have a flight to St. Louis with a layover in California (most likely) or other locale--but definitely a layover. DS will be 3 yo 8 months when we leave here. Although I have ALWAYS used his carseat on the airplane on every single flight we've every taken, I think he may be old enough on this flight to go without the seat onboard. With such a long flight, I really want him to be able to utilize the seat tray.

We have three carseats, and I anticipate him being able to still fit in all three. There is a Recaro Young Sport (I think..the one that converts to a booster when needed), a Britax Roundabout and a Cosco Scenara. The Recaro is our current main carseat and should be able to remain in the car firmly buckled in when we ship the car from here. (It's the only thing you can leave in the car usually!) We'll then have our choice of the other two carseats to use in the rental car while we're here. It will be the same one we bring with us to use in the rental car in St. Louis until we pick up our car. (That should only be a day at the most.)

If you all think it is OK to not use the carseat on the plane, how do I get the carseat safely to St. Louis? Since this is a move for us, we will have all sorts of extra misc items onboard (think: medical records, orders to move, laptops, etc) plus all the normal stuff for a LONG flight and really don't think it's reasible to take the carseat to the gate. Do I put it in a bag of some sort? if so, what?

I figure worst case scenario is we buy a cheap one at Wal-Mart (or ACK try to get one from the rental car place) until we pick up our car--that should literally be only a few hours from the time we land until the time we get our car.

Thoughts?

Susan

o_mom
01-27-2008, 01:38 PM
Can you use the tray table with the Recaro? It sits low, so that might work on the plane.

I would really be wary of checking a seat as luggage. I would rather ship it to the destination via FedEx or something. Alternatively, the Scenera is very light so if you take that it shouldn't be a big deal to gate check it.

Joolsplus2
01-27-2008, 01:45 PM
aloha, paradise... hello, kansas... (LOL!)
Personally? If it were me? I'd pack the RA (Or leave IT in the car, too?), leave the Recaro in the car, and stick the Scenera in a bag and check it with luggage. The seasoned instructor in my tech class told us not to worry about carseats in baggage, they are plenty tough. The bag will keep it clean and the straps from snagging on stuff, though (and the Scenera doesn't have any foam that might break, which is why I suggested it). Of course, if they lose it in luggage, you would be in trouble. How about calling the rental agency and reserving one, then not using it if you don't need it? Then you are sort of covered just in case something goes wrong.

So that's just what *I* would do, I'm sure you'll get other ideas from others folks!

katydid1971
01-27-2008, 04:57 PM
I have checked DS's Graco (our travel seat) several times with no problems. They give you a heavy duty bag to put it in and I have had no losses. FYI I use to work at a rental company and the car seats they have are old and not well cared for. Put a bright colored sticker on the carseat with your information on it so if its lost it can be returned.

shburks
01-27-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks, Julie. That's kind of what I was thinking, too. I *know* there's the possibility that a carseat might not make it out with the luggage, but in this case, I might take the chance (and do what you suggested--reserve one just in case). We had to do that once (use a rental car seat when we forgot to take ours off the cruise ship one day), and it was yucky and icky but it would only be for the brief drive to the port to get our car so it wouldn't be long!

Thanks, katydid. Who did you fly with that had a bag for you to use?

Julie, I'll probably end up packing the RA in our last shipment. (There's one small shipment that goes out just before you leave) The Scenara is not my favorite seat and I prefer to use it as little as possible, so it would be my least concerning seat if it *did* turn up missing. Ha ha!

o-mom--you can use the Recaro with the tray table, I believe, because it sits so low, but the seat weighs about 109 lbs and it would be my last choice of seats to take on the plane!

Thanks to all for your thoughts. I think I just needed to bounce the thoughts off someone else. I will definitely take one carseat and check it.

Susan

o_mom
01-27-2008, 05:55 PM
I think if you are checking something, the Scenara is the was to go. Easy to carry and not a big deal if it gets lost or trashed. I think the opinions are split on using the airline supplied plastic bag (clear so they can see it and maybe handle it better, not as sturdy, free) or a travel bag (Can't see it so they may toss it around, but sturdier, $$).

shburks
01-27-2008, 06:36 PM
I think if you are checking something, the Scenara is the was to go. Easy to carry and not a big deal if it gets lost or trashed. I think the opinions are split on using the airline supplied plastic bag (clear so they can see it and maybe handle it better, not as sturdy, free) or a travel bag (Can't see it so they may toss it around, but sturdier, $$).

Thanks, o-mom. Kind of my thought, too. I'd rather have the Scenara trashed/lost than the others! Maybe I'll go with the free/clear bag if available from our airline since this may well be the *only* time I'll ever need to do this with a large carseat.

801kelle
01-28-2008, 08:41 AM
My DD is 4.5 yo, 42 in tall and about 40 lbs I still take my Marathon on the plane when we travel. I take my stroller and put my carseat on the stroller.. hang and or put bag in basket of stroller (then I don't have to carry anything) and wheel it through the airport.. when at the gate, I check the stroller and carry on my bag and carseat and away we go. Then ifyou have connecting flights... you get your stroller at the gate.. put everything in/on it and away you go to the next gate! My feeling is you can contain them...especially on long flights.. they are more comfortable and they can sleep.. have you ever seen a child trying to sleep in a airplane seat. Just my opinion.. we take or portable dvd, coloring books etc. She is fine and we don't use the tray. When it is time for food I just feed it to her or hand it to her to eat herself. Also you can give a quarter tablet of dramimine and it helps them sleep like a baby.. that would be the appropriate amount for your child's weight and age.

801kelle
01-28-2008, 08:47 AM
Here is some info quoted from the FAA:

The FAA strongly urges parents and guardians to secure children in an appropriate restraint based on weight and size. Keeping a child in a CRS or device during the flight is the smart and right thing to do.

Did you know the safest place for your little one during turbulence or an emergency is in an approved child restraint system (CRS)

The FAA strongly urges parents and guardians to secure children in an appropriate restraint based on weight and size. Keeping a child in a CRS or device during the flight is the smart and right thing to do.

Arrange for your airline to help you if you need help making a connecting flight. Carrying a CRS, a child, and luggage through a busy airport can be challenging.

website quotes came from:

www.faa.gov

KrystalS
01-28-2008, 01:34 PM
I have taken almost the exact same flight you're talking about, my Dh was stationed in Hawaii for 3 years so we flew home to Oklahoma several times. I never took DDs seat on the plane, I know I know it isn't as safe, but she was way more comfortable having all that space. That flight from Hawaii was just way too long for my DD to be in her seat. We never had any issues with her being able to sleep(she just laid her head in my lap), and she was much happier being able to use the tray for coloring, small toys, DVD player, etc. I would never lug my carseat thru the airport, I know lots of people do it but to me unless you have an infant it is just too much to deal with. My DD is a very good flyer, being military we fly a lot, we took that Hawaii flight at least 5 times, I've never had problems with her sitting still or wearing her seatbelt.
As for checking your seat, I bought a bag at Toys R Us to put my Marathon in, I think it was about $25-$30, can't remember exactly. I've checked it several times and never had any problems with the seat. I did use the airlines clear bag once when I couldn't find my bag and the seat was fine.

shburks
01-28-2008, 05:18 PM
I have taken almost the exact same flight you're talking about, my Dh was stationed in Hawaii for 3 years so we flew home to Oklahoma several times. I never took DDs seat on the plane, I know I know it isn't as safe, but she was way more comfortable having all that space. That flight from Hawaii was just way too long for my DD to be in her seat. We never had any issues with her being able to sleep(she just laid her head in my lap), and she was much happier being able to use the tray for coloring, small toys, DVD player, etc. I would never lug my carseat thru the airport, I know lots of people do it but to me unless you have an infant it is just too much to deal with. My DD is a very good flyer, being military we fly a lot, we took that Hawaii flight at least 5 times, I've never had problems with her sitting still or wearing her seatbelt.
As for checking your seat, I bought a bag at Toys R Us to put my Marathon in, I think it was about $25-$30, can't remember exactly. I've checked it several times and never had any problems with the seat. I did use the airlines clear bag once when I couldn't find my bag and the seat was fine.

Thanks, Krystal. I appreciate your information. Can I ask how old your dd was doing these flights? We have flown several times from here to Atlanta (9 LOOONNNGG hours!), once to Seattle and once from here to Denver and always used the carseat onboard. We even use it onboard the inter-island flights. However, since he'll be a few months shy of four this time, we thought it might be acceptable this time to fly without the carseat. Thanks for the tip on the bag. I'm sure USA Baby has something similar. Do you remember what airline you flew on that had the clear bag? The "contract carrier" is United, so we'll have to fly United when we leave.

801kelle--I do appreciate your information, and believe me--we are STAUNCH believers in using the carseat on the plane and have for every single flight he's ever done. (There have been a lot! Our families are in GA and we've lived in WA and HI since ds was born.) DS generall does not sleep well on flights (even on overnight flights and they're almost always overnight flights from Hawaii), so the carseat really doesn't help in that regard. With the amount of things we'll have to "hand carry" with us on the plane, I'd really rather not have to carry the carseat, too. I know that comes across sounding selfish, but unless you've ever had to move (literally move--change homes!) and carry the most important things on a plane with you, it's hard to understand that!

Susan

KrystalS
01-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks, Krystal. I appreciate your information. Can I ask how old your dd was doing these flights? We have flown several times from here to Atlanta (9 LOOONNNGG hours!), once to Seattle and once from here to Denver and always used the carseat onboard. We even use it onboard the inter-island flights. However, since he'll be a few months shy of four this time, we thought it might be acceptable this time to fly without the carseat. Thanks for the tip on the bag. I'm sure USA Baby has something similar. Do you remember what airline you flew on that had the clear bag? I know that comes across sounding selfish, but unless you've ever had to move (literally move--change homes!) and carry the most important things on a plane with you, it's hard to understand that!

I totally know where you're coming from here. It was so hard deciding what to have shipped and what we would "need" until our HHGs arrived. I think we flew on Delta when we got the bag but I'm not positive. I actually just remembered that I bought my carseat bag at a small baby store in Pearl City, its in the same area as the mall, over by all the car dealerships. I can't remember the name of the store, but it was the only baby store so I'm sure you can do a search and find it. You can always call the airline and ask if they provide a bag for carseats.
DD was 2 when I stopped taking her carseat on the plane, I was usually by myself going to visit family and it was just too difficult to manage that with all our other stuff. DD is about to be 4 and we just flew to Florida from Colorado, much shorter flight, but she did great without her seat. We have a Regent now and theres no way I would take that giant anywhere!

shburks
01-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Thanks, Krystal. I think the store is Kelsey's Baby Specialty--near the mall, back behind the Ford dealership. I'm sure I can find a bag there or at TRU or something. Thanks for the tip. I know--it's so hard to figure all this out! When we moved here, ds was only 7 months, so he was easy to entertain--couple of rattle-type types and a bouncy seat did it! Now, he's 3 1/2 and it will be much more difficult. We will actually pack out about 7 weeks before we leave to ensure that HHG get to the next locale before we do, so that should be interesting!! :)

801kelle
01-30-2008, 11:12 AM
801kelle--I do appreciate your information, and believe me--we are STAUNCH believers in using the carseat on the plane and have for every single flight he's ever done. (There have been a lot! Our families are in GA and we've lived in WA and HI since ds was born.) DS generall does not sleep well on flights (even on overnight flights and they're almost always overnight flights from Hawaii), so the carseat really doesn't help in that regard. With the amount of things we'll have to "hand carry" with us on the plane, I'd really rather not have to carry the carseat, too. I know that comes across sounding selfish, but unless you've ever had to move (literally move--change homes!) and carry the most important things on a plane with you, it's hard to understand that!

I completely understand and respect that... I was just thinking because it is such a long flight that yes it is a pain to take carseat but it helps contain them and makes things easier for you and for your child! We live in Utah and go to NYC all the time.. I know it is not as long as a flight.. about 5 hrs but I take my DD out when we go to bathroom and let her out and sit on my lap but my whole rationale is to make it easier for me to contain her and for her to be comfortable when she sleeps. That's all. You have to do what you think is best and easiest for you... GOOD LUCK.

shburks
01-31-2008, 08:18 PM

I completely understand and respect that... I was just thinking because it is such a long flight that yes it is a pain to take carseat but it helps contain them and makes things easier for you and for your child! We live in Utah and go to NYC all the time.. I know it is not as long as a flight.. about 5 hrs but I take my DD out when we go to bathroom and let her out and sit on my lap but my whole rationale is to make it easier for me to contain her and for her to be comfortable when she sleeps. That's all. You have to do what you think is best and easiest for you... GOOD LUCK.

Absolutely. I do appreciate your thoughts. I asked for help/opinions, so I am certainly willing to entertain the idea! As for sleeping in the carseat--that doesn't usually happen for ds! I think because we live on an island (think: our longest car trip ever is about 35 minutes!!!), he's not used to napping/sleeping in his seat and it doesn't usually help him sleep on the plane. I completely agree with you about the "containment" part. I've ALWAYS used the carseat on every other flight for that very reason. I'll have to think on it some more. Thanks.

MOM2u2
02-01-2008, 05:25 AM
If you choose to take a car seat with you, but don't want her to use it gate check it. I have had several airline employees tell me that they would only gate check carseats. Yes it can be frustrating to haul them through the airport, but that way they are in your control a little longer, and safer. Good luck with your move.