PDA

View Full Version : Car Seat Alternative?

mamalia
01-28-2008, 01:33 AM
Hi, we will be in Europe for three weeks and I wondered what to do about DD's car seat. I would prefer NOT to lug a car seat. DD will be 3; she is probably about 27 pounds or so - a bean pole really.

We will mainly be traveling by train throughout Europe, with at least one bus trip.

I know that many here travel with car seats on domestic flights. I have traveled domestically both ways - recently opting to leave it behind because a safe seat awaited us at our destination and I chose to bury in the recesses of my mind the rare possibility of catastrophic plane turbulence or crash. But here, no seat awaits us, what to do?

Trains and buses seem safe without a car seat, but what about if we have to take an emergency taxi ride?

Thanks!

californiagirl
01-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Where are you going in Europe?

We took a RideSafer Travel Vest for DD last year, and were very happy with it. But its minimum weight is too high for your DD. We were also happy to discover that German cabs are legally required to have boosters (mostly backless boosters).

I'm afraid that before DD hit 35 pounds, we hauled her Roundabout everywhere...

mamalia
02-01-2008, 01:14 AM
We'll be traveling to Italy, do you know if they also have installed seats in cabs?

Are car seats provided on trains?

Thanks!

kozachka
03-08-2008, 06:45 PM
We were in Italy last summer with DS. We did not take any cabs but considering the fact that carseat was not required by the rental car company (I asked 2 or 3 times just to be sure) for our than 3.5 year old DS, I'd guess not.

I think you have three options:
- bring your own car seat;
- buy one in Italy;
- go without a car seat.

We brought over our own cheap light-weight convertible but if you are not going to rent a car for the whole trip it would be a cumbersome option. We've been on a train in Netherlands more than a few times and I've never seen a toddler in a car seat, there would not have been any way to attach it. I'd be shocked if Italian trains had car seats. Personally I would not (and I do not) lug around a convertible just in case we need to use a cab.