PDA

View Full Version : Really true that you must have a passport for Mexico now?

elektra
01-28-2008, 02:08 PM
I may be bringing DD to Mexico for a last minute planned vacation. I just read online that as of Jan 23rd 2008, all people must have a passport to fly into Mexico. I have been to Mexico before but as I remember, I only needed a certified birth certificate copy.
Also, this trip is happening in 4 1/2 weeks. Is it even possible to get DD a passport in that time?

tylersmama
01-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Yes, your DD must have a passport. The law changed a couple of years ago, but they started enforcing it within the last year. And yes, you can get your DD a passport in that time frame, but it will be more expensive. You'll have to expedite it. I got mine in less than 2 weeks, expedited. You don't need to go through an expediting agency either, although they will probably make things easier for you (just more expensive). You're lucky that the backlog of passports from the rule change has eased up and they're back to normal wait times now. Last year, it was taking people four months or more, and even expedited ones were taking 6 weeks! We applied for DS's in March for our trip to Mexico in August (got it toward the end of May, so not too bad).

If you're pretty sure that you're going to be taking the trip, start the application process IMMEDIATELY. Don't wait around. You and your DH will both need to be present when you take the application in, with your proof of ID and your DD's birth certificate. If your DH is not able to go with you, you have to have a notarized letter that he signed. If you choose not to use an expediting agency, you just take the application to the agency (I used the post office both for mine and DS). You may have to provide proof of travel (so an itinerary). I don't remember them looking too closely at it. I think the rule is that you're supposed to be traveling within two weeks of the application, but I would just say that you are and go ahead and do it. You have to pay an extra fee for expediting, as well as for overnight shipping each way. That's it.

It sounds like a big hassle, but it's really not too bad. Just don't wait around. Go ahead and do it now. Good luck!

elektra
01-28-2008, 06:29 PM
Thanks. Yes I checked the website last night and it had the $60 rush fee listed. So I know that it was technically possible to do the less than 6 weeks turnaround but I wasn't sure how that really played out. I was hoping for some real life experiences like yours though, so thanks! Good to know about the official or unofficial "must be traveling within 2 weeks" policy.
I also wasn't sure about how strictly the passport rule was being enforced. DH was of the opinion that there had to be some kind of lag time, however it sounds like the law was actually passed awhile back and the deadline for enforcing it is now here.
Maybe this is one more reason to have DD stay here instead of coming on the trip......

MontrealMum
02-01-2008, 05:14 PM
Not to confuse the issue, but here's a bit more information. The law requiring passports for travel between Mexico, the US, and Canada was passed last year, but not officially put into effect because too many US citizens had trouble getting passports before the original deadline and the backlog was huge. Many, many Canadians had trouble too, but it was the US problems that prompted border control to ease up on enforcement.

According to Canadian news this week it is possible to travel by car (perhaps train as well) between the 3 countries with a birth certificate and a government issued photo id - but only for a short time. Air travel requires a passport. Of course, most children don't have government issued photo ids so this isn't likely to help regarding children, but it might be helpful for the adults in the party.

Since the ultimate goal is passports for everyone even within North America, I'd just go ahead and get it over with now. Another tip - if you live in or near a bigger city (for example, Chicago is the regional servicing center for the Midwest) you can sometimes expedite your passport time turnaround by actually going into the office, and not through the mail. I haven't actually done this from within the US (only at the US consulate since I live out of the country), so I am not sure where and how. Check out the US immigration website.

codex57
02-27-2008, 02:56 AM
Another tip - if you live in or near a bigger city (for example, Chicago is the regional servicing center for the Midwest) you can sometimes expedite your passport time turnaround by actually going into the office, and not through the mail. I haven't actually done this from within the US (only at the US consulate since I live out of the country), so I am not sure where and how. Check out the US immigration website.

You take your chances, but it's possible. Another tip: your passport needs to be good for 6 months when you leave on a plane trip. About a month ago, our friend was going on a trip to Thailand. Her passport expired in less than 6 months so they wouldn't let her board. She had to hang around the LA passport office in hopes they'd give her a new passport. Luckily, right before the office closed, they gave her one and she was able to make a red eye flight out.