PDA

View Full Version : Longshot... ISO discount on Pella Windows

linsei
01-28-2008, 02:27 PM
Just thought I would ask if maybe they have a F&F discount or something. Our windows are only 6 years old and the manufacturer no longer carries this particular line and will not honor the warranty. We want to replace the ones that are bad with Pella (or even another equivalent brand).

Thanks a million if you can help :)

ThreeofUs
01-28-2008, 05:37 PM
No discounts, but now is the best time of year to buy. These folks (as well as Andersen) will negotiate down right now (end of month, early in year) because business is so bad.

We got them to chop about $200/window off the price. Still couldn't afford it LOL but found out that now is when you have power.

khm
01-28-2008, 07:08 PM
The previous poster has great advice! I did just want to add that Lowes and Home Depot carry some Pella windows. Avoid buying them there. Apparently, they are really poorly made and not at all like their "real" line of windows. We were excited to buy a Pella patio door from Home Depot and it was indeed crap.

They probably have either exited that market, or have improved their quality because it was a huge black eye. But a lot of people in my area got burned badly by buying "big box store Pella" vs. real Pella. So, I did want to throw that out there just in case. If you do want to persue Pella from Lowes or Home Depot, do do some research before buying!

linsei
01-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Good to know about it being the best time to buy now. The sales rep did tell DH that the price was negotiable. (They quoted us about 1K per window after a 30% discount for wood Pro-line). Did you recall which type of window you got from them? I'm just curious about how much we should ask them to knock off.

It makes me sick that we are replacing windows in a six year old house.

No discounts, but now is the best time of year to buy. These folks (as well as Andersen) will negotiate down right now (end of month, early in year) because business is so bad.

We got them to chop about $200/window off the price. Still couldn't afford it LOL but found out that now is when you have power.

linsei
01-29-2008, 12:15 AM
We replaced our front door last year and originally got a quote from Lowe's for a Pella door. We decided to also get a quote directly from Pella. Their rep told us that the product was the same from Lowe's as directly from them, but Lowe's subcontracted through many different companies and they always used the same one. Maybe the difference is in the workmanship/quality of the install? The quotes were practically the same amount, but Lowe's wanted to charge us to have someone come out and measure our house to determine the exact cost - that was our turnoff with them.

The previous poster has great advice! I did just want to add that Lowes and Home Depot carry some Pella windows. Avoid buying them there. Apparently, they are really poorly made and not at all like their "real" line of windows. We were excited to buy a Pella patio door from Home Depot and it was indeed crap.

They probably have either exited that market, or have improved their quality because it was a huge black eye. But a lot of people in my area got burned badly by buying "big box store Pella" vs. real Pella. So, I did want to throw that out there just in case. If you do want to persue Pella from Lowes or Home Depot, do do some research before buying!

ThreeofUs
01-29-2008, 04:36 PM
Did you recall which type of window you got from them? I'm just curious about how much we should ask them to knock off.

We were looking at the top-of-the-line wood windows - except, of course, they are only a wood veneer, and thin at that!

We just kept saying how much we liked the windows but how we just could not afford the price. We played "new family" as much as possible, and kept saying things like "we'd sure like to buy from you - do you think you could sharpen your pencil on these prices just a little?" I remember the windows were a little less than half price by the time we got done.

From my experience - of course, only with a specific salesman - if you keep saying how much you like the product, but reiterating that you need his/her help to buy, they'll keep coming down.

HTH!

I agree that buying new windows again sounds pretty awful. Hope everything goes well for you!

kayte
01-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Our windows are only 6 years old and the manufacturer no longer carries this particular line and will not honor the warranty.

Have you contacted your builder? We had an issue with our windows getting moisture between the panes. After contacting the builder I learned that the warranty for most DP windows is 10 years (our were 7 years old). I got great results from then contacting the manufacturer--they came out within a week and replaced almost every window. But my point was that the builder told me that if I had any trouble with a warranty claim to call them back... You might try going through your builder to get them honor the warranty both he and you paid for.

linsei
01-29-2008, 07:52 PM
Our builder has been less than helpful in the past. So the idea of contacting them to help with the issue is not appealing. But given the cost of replacing all 10 windows in the front of our house, perhaps we'll give them a call. I think the reason the particular line of the brand is no longer made is probably because the product stinks. We probably should call, since maybe other people have/had the same type of issue.

Have you contacted your builder? We had an issue with our windows getting moisture between the panes. After contacting the builder I learned that the warranty for most DP windows is 10 years (our were 7 years old). I got great results from then contacting the manufacturer--they came out within a week and replaced almost every window. But my point was that the builder told me that if I had any trouble with a warranty claim to call them back... You might try going through your builder to get them honor the warranty both he and you paid for.