PDA

View Full Version : SmartCar and car seats

sarahsbug
01-28-2008, 04:27 PM
My husband and I are considering purchasing a SmartCar as a second car for errands around town. We've researched the safety of the car for kids and have discovered it is excellent. But despite the website's claim that both children and infants can ride in the car (and our own observations of the car in use in Europe), neither the dealer nor the SmartCar USA people can give us details about using an infant or child seat in the passenger seat. I'm trying to find out, for instance, whether the car comes with LATCH, whether it is possible to install a rear-facing seat, how the air bag disabling system works, etc. Does anyone have experience with the Smart?
Thanks!

shburks
01-28-2008, 05:23 PM
I don't have any experience with it, but my first thought is that it probably wouldn't have LATCH since there are no rear seats. I don't think two-seater cars have LATCH.

You probably read this, too, but here's what their website says:

The smart fortwo features highly efficient restraint systems that meet Mercedes-Benz's passive safety standards. Infant or children restraint systems (booster, infant or child seat) can be affixed properly to the passenger seat by means of the safety belt. A ratchet mechanism locates the tightly pulled safety belt and holds the infant/child restraint system in position. Please note that laws relating to the use and installation of infant or children restraint systems vary by jurisdiction. You will need to review the laws applicable to you prior to installing and using infant or children restraint systems in your smart fortwo.

An electronically controlled system will detect the weight of the occupant on the passenger seat or the installation of a child restraint system. The Electronic Control Unit (ECU) determines the appropriate mode of the dual stage full size front airbag deployment. For very young passengers for whom an airbag deployment could mean a serious risk, the front and side airbags will be deactivated. A control lamp in the center of the roof panel will show this clearly. Always check the control lamp to make sure the airbags are deactivated for very young passengers.

This sounds like only a seatbelt is available. OH, and that the airbags would be deactivated for little people.

sarahsbug
01-29-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the reply. I had read the website before, and found it pretty slim on information. I do know that the Smart in Europe comes with ISOFIX, the European equivalent of LATCH. I find it hard to believe that the American version wouldn't have LATCH. It does have a tether system. But I am getting such mixed messages from the dealer representatives (I don't think they have a clue) that I'm really hoping someone out there has actually purchased the car and knows what's up!

Joolsplus2
01-29-2008, 09:34 AM
I bet there's a yahoo group on smart cars, or some forum somewhere, they might know for sure. (but don't leave us behind, we still know more about which carseats to choose :) )

bubbaray
01-29-2008, 12:23 PM
I'll get my DH to ask my FIL. He has a SmartCar.

BTW, they may only put the Isofix on the Euro-spec'd cars b/c often the cars there don't have ratcheting seatbelts....

I'll pass along more info later when I get it, might take me a couple of days.

bubbaray
01-29-2008, 01:30 PM
I found this:

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/faqs/faqs/can_a_child_ride_in_the_passenger_seat?.html

I might have no luck finding info from FIL -- we're in Canada and if there is no TT anchor, even a FFg seat wouldn't be legal in the Smart.

Still finding more info:

http://www.mcuniverse.com/Smart-Car-Children.192.0.html

google "smart car child restraint" -- lots of hits

jeno
01-29-2008, 01:36 PM
xxxxxxx

sarahsbug
01-31-2008, 10:16 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. We've contacted both the dealer and the central SmartUSA people. Each person we talk to in the organization has a different answer, and those answers differ from the FAQ section of the website. Even the national office does not know the answers to our questions. I don't understand how the people who sell the cars can have conflicting and incomplete information about pretty basic stuff, but they promise to look into it and get back to us. One thing I know I can't do is rely on Canadian or European information. The cars are not the same in different countries because of different national laws.

Thanks again.

shburks
01-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Such a bummer that you can't get the info you want. Sounds like you're going to have to wait until the silly cars actually GET here and then go see them for yourself to see if there's a LATCH in there or not. :) Regardless, you should be able to use the seatbelt for the carseat, right? Definitely sounds like the airbags can be deactivated.

Sorry that you can't find solid answers!