PDA

View Full Version : Haven't flown in a long time...what is the standard way to fly with a 4yo?

CiderLogan
01-28-2008, 11:27 PM
Here's my situation: We have a Marathon and a Radian for our 4yo, who is just under 40 lbs. and 43" tall. My parents also have a Graco booster we can borrow. We are flying from GA to AZ - so a sort of long flight, but both DH and I will be with her to entertain her. We may rent a car once we're there (we'd use Zipcar) but it's not certain. (We'll take a shuttle bus to our hotel, and we hope to be able to walk to most of the places we plan to go.)

So, should we bring one of the carseats or the booster? I just recently learned that boosters aren't allowed on planes (Ack! Am I that out of touch?), so if we brought that I'd guess we would check the back part and put the seat part in one of our carry-on bags. If we brought the Radian (which I think would be easier to travel with than the Marathon), would she be allowed to use it during the flight, or is she too big? I really don't know all the rules about this. In fact, I haven't flown since we flew when she was 1, and then it seemed so straightforward: she just rode in her Marathon.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I feel lost about this!

Joolsplus2
01-29-2008, 10:12 AM
Yup, no booster use on planes (no shoulderbelts, so....). Yes, the Radian can be used the entire flight. I've heard it's very easy to install on planes, and you can use the tray table with it (mega bonus!). I'd probably do that... she'll be comfier for sleeping (and while you're visiting, I know sometimes we spend more time driving on vacation and travel-weary 4 yo's tend to sleep better in the RN than a booster, I think).

:)

801kelle
01-29-2008, 11:02 AM
Absolutely I agree with Julie! Our DD is 4.5 yo and we still take her Marathon on the plane. I bring my stroller. Put the carseat on top put my bags in and then I don't have to lug it through the airport. I check my stroller at the gate and we are good to go. Then when I get off the plane there is my stroller at the gate and I put the seat on, bags in and off we go again.

801kelle
01-29-2008, 11:05 AM
Just to give you a little more info .. here is info from the FAA website:

Yes you cannot take boosters on airplane .. there is no way to secure them since airplane seats only have lapbelt.

Here is info quoted from FAA website...

While booster seats and harness vests enhance safety in vehicles, FAA prohibits passengers from bringing these types of devices on airplanes for use during taxi, take-off and landing. These devices should be checked as baggage

The FAA strongly urges parents and guardians to secure children in an appropriate restraint based on weight and size. Keeping a child in a CRS or device during the flight is the smart and right thing to do.

A CRS is a hard-backed child safety seat that is approved by the government for use in both motor vehicles and aircraft.

The CRS must bear a label or markings showing FAA approval under Section 21.305(d) and be clearly marked FAA Approved in Accordance with 14 CFR 21.305(d), Approved for Aircraft Use Only.Make sure your CRS is government approved and has "This restraint is certified for use in motor vehicles and aircraft" printed on it. Otherwise, you may be asked to check the CRS as baggage.

Arrange for your airline to help you if you need help making a connecting flight. Carrying a CRS, a child, and luggage through a busy airport can be challenging.

www.faa.gov

bubbaray
01-29-2008, 12:30 PM
I'd bring either the MA or the RN. As long as she still fits in them and you've purchased a seat for her, I don't see the issue. I guess call your airline first.

I'd actually prefer to fly with the MA in terms of it being lighter and easier to install via belts. BUT, the RN is super nice that it has a low profile and you can still use the seat tray.

Both are FAA approved for flying, so you could always flip a coin! ;)

stillplayswithbarbies
01-29-2008, 01:51 PM
take the Radian, it's great on planes, for the reasons Julie already mentioned. My daughter is almost 5 and still rides in a carseat on planes. As long as you are using it according to manufacturer's directions, it is allowed on the plane.

CiderLogan
01-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Wonderful! Thanks so much for clearing things up for me!

Now, what is the best way to transport the Radian through the airport if we're not taking a stroller? Rent one of those carts? I know there are wheeled contraptions one can buy for this purpose, but I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Thanks again!

801kelle
01-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Wonderful! Thanks so much for clearing things up for me!

Now, what is the best way to transport the Radian through the airport if we're not taking a stroller? Rent one of those carts? I know there are wheeled contraptions one can buy for this purpose, but I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Thanks again!

You have several options:

http://www.familyonboard.com/pac_back_carseat_backpack.html

http://www.familyonboard.com/tote_a_tot_carseat_carrier.html

http://www.go-baby.com/stroller_and_carseat_gear.html?gclid=CMb-zrSsnJECFUaPOAod5A4WPQ

emschwar
01-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Just FYI, we got one of those Tote-a-tot things a few years ago, and it practically fell apart after one trip. They refunded my money and said they were redesigning it, but I wasn't impressed with the quality.

JBaxter
01-30-2008, 08:22 AM
I made my 16yr old carry our radian LOL but in case you dont have a xtra-man/child. Try folding it and bungying it to your suit case or strapping it to a luggage cart ( we have one for our next trip) I love traveling with our radian its heavy but safe and YES the tray table works great!

stillplayswithbarbies
02-02-2008, 11:32 PM
LOL my 16 year old is the designated car seat carrier in my family too!