PDA

View Full Version : *sigh* My babysitter has quit, but did it by just not showing up

maylips
01-30-2008, 03:42 PM
I work from home and have two college girls that come for about 5 hours each day. One comes on T/TH, the other comes on M/W/F.

Well, my M/W/F girl...who was SO great with DD...has apparently quit. She got a boyfriend over the Christmas break (first warning), then got a job at the campus fitness center (second warning, even though she told me it was just a "few hours a week and will not interfere with my babysitting hours").

Last Friday, I open my email inbox to find a note from her saying she needed to talk to me about something but she has hated to do it because I've been so good to her. Then she says she'll talk to me about it later that day. Well, DD was sick that day, so I called her cell and left a VM saying that I didn't need her Friday or Monday, that I got her email and HOPED that email didn't mean she was quitting, but that we would talk about it on Wednesday when she came in.

Well, 10:30 came and went this morning and no Amy. I finally left a message on her cell at 11:30 and she still hasn't called. My message was more of the "I'm worried about you" kind of message, trying to give her the benefit of the doubt and also making sure she realizes I expect her to be here until she TELLS me she's leaving.

Plus, a little notice would be helpful. Just because I work from home doesn't mean I don't work. It's kind of hard to talk to a client with a baby blabbing in the background.

*sigh* This sucks -- not just because she has disappointed me, even though she has because I thought she was more reliable than this -- but also having to go through the entire process again of finding another M/W/F sitter and having to do it on such short notice. We live about 20 minutes from the campus so it's not that easy to find someone willing to drive that far, plus I don't have a real "in" there.

And now that DD is napping, I really should be taking advantage of the quiet time and actually working instead of being on this board! (slap my wrists)

elektra
01-30-2008, 04:19 PM
I would have a coronary if our babysitter/nanny quit, and if she did it with no notice I might just drop down dead. I too work from home with occasional travel. I think people alot of times misunderstand that working from home enables you to both care for a child full time as well as do your job full time. That is not the case, as you know! I actually have a nanny here 4 days a week for 8 hours per day with the 5th day being only 5 hours.
Good luck in your search. Maybe your new person will be even better. :)

Melanie
01-30-2008, 05:26 PM
That totally sucks. I hope she at least calls you back. What about your T/Th sitter, can you see if she knows anyone on the campus?

gatorsmom
01-30-2008, 10:15 PM
That does suck. I bet if you call the college and ask where to post work opportunities online, you'll get some responses. Especially since it's still (sort of) the beginning of the new semester at some universities so there might be some students looking for work this semester.

I hope you find someone soon. That has got to be worrisome.

niccig
01-30-2008, 11:01 PM
I'm sorry. It's so hard to find good child care and then they disappoint.

I use 2 women who also babysit at the YMCA. I don't know if you're a member. They have baby sitting for workouts and we got to know a few and they do private babysitting as well. I needed 4 hours on 2 days so I can go to a class. Bonus is, they're both child CPR and the YMCA background checks. If we had any problems, I could always report it to the childcare director.

Another option is to put a note up at a preschool or childcare. At DS's school many nannies/sitters do the pick-up. I often see notes either by a parent or by a nanny that needs hours.

I hope you find someone soon.