PDA

View Full Version : Pleated Front Pants?

StantonHyde
01-30-2008, 06:35 PM
I need to replace some navy and black dress pants. I need conservative, wool pants (gaberdine or flannel). My body needs a pleated front--trust me on this, I have tried flat front and it is a disaster on me. I wear a size 12 in misses, so don't need plus or petite--tall can be good on me.

I ordered a pair of Lands End pleated front pants and the waist is tooo big and they don't fit well. I am thinking of ordering a pair of their cashmere/wool pants but I need to call to see if the fit is different.

Talbots and Ann Taylor have only flat fronts. Garnett Hill is just flat front. I found Brooks Brothers pants for $150 !!!! I am willing to pay around $100. Any ideas???

emmiem
01-30-2008, 06:43 PM
Pleated pants are mostly out of style which is why most companies don't make them anymore. How about JC Penney or Kohl's, stores that cater more to the masses.
Michele

cvanbrunt
01-30-2008, 10:34 PM
I've found that the only pleated pants that look nice are wool or wool blend. The cotton and linen things just get too bunchy. I'd try the LE in wool. My current professional wardrobe is mostly Ann Taylor or LE but I have a few Brooks Brothers pieces. If you can swing it, the 150 dollar wool pants from BB will outlast any thing else in your closet.
Also, have you tried the Ralph Lauren section of your department store? I was just noticing the other day that several pairs of RL wool pants in my closet had pleats.

StantonHyde
01-31-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks, I think I will order the LE and the Brooks Brothers. I had the last pair for 15 years!!! I know that pleats are not in style now, but as my mother always said, "What is in style is what looks good on you". I do have a couple pairs of synthetic pants from ColdWater Creek that drape really nicely but anything that is fitted (e.g. would go with blazers) is a disaster in plain front. I also don't like wearing poly/synthetic pants--it is BUTT cold here in the winter and I need wool. Sigh...Oh well, if I wait another 10 years, pleats will come back :-)

kozachka
02-03-2008, 01:11 PM
I hope you like your Brooks Brothers purchase. If you think in terms of cost per wear, you are getting a bargain. Black pants are always relevant (and I agree with your mom, what is fashionable is what looks good on you), so if I were you I would the best pair I could afford comfortably. I have a BB suit that I paid retail for (gasp) but I feel like a million bucks in it and have received a lot of compliments on it so the purchase was well worth it. And I can more than afford it. It's just the mental thing of paying retail IYKWIM.

StantonHyde
02-03-2008, 05:54 PM
Yep, I ordered the Brooks Brothers pleated--I also decided to be daring and order a pair of their plan front pants--I will see. I also ordered a pair of LE cashmere/wool just to see what they are like. That's what kicked me over the edge though----the BB pants might be $150 but if they last for the next 15 years, I'd say they're pretty cheap :-)

stefani
03-09-2008, 01:56 AM
Hi Rebecca,

How did the Brooks Brothers pants IRL? I am also looking for a great dress pants and I have found that pleated pants fit me better than flat front. I am trying to decide whether to order Brooks Brothers pants or not. Do they have a storefront?

nupe
03-09-2008, 09:04 AM
But I do want to add if you find a pair you like and it just has a slightly larger waist, take it a good tailor for alteration. I had to do that when I bought contourwear for travel last year. I had the waist taken in on them, and it was $10-12 for the alteration, and well worth it.

StantonHyde
03-09-2008, 04:39 PM
I ordered 2 pairs of wool/cashmere pleated pants from Lands End and they fit great. A little big in the waist but I can get them taken in. Don't know why they fit way better than the gaberdine ones--they look the same to me.

I ordered the Brooks Brothers but they are on backorder. I will gladly post on their fit--if they ever get here!!

I have several pairs of LL Bean Bayside Twills pleated and they fit really well if you like a looser look. For some reason, their Bayside pleated cords did not fit...

stefani
03-11-2008, 12:30 AM
Thanks Rebecca. Ah, yes, I had an LL Bean Bayside Twill a few years ago. I should order some again for my casual pants. I dread looking for jeans!

I am interested in how well you like the Brooks Brothers when you get them, so please do post your review.

StantonHyde
03-11-2008, 05:40 PM
I got the plain front pants and they fit just like all other plain fronts--poorly. Still waiting for the pleated pants.

stefani
03-16-2008, 11:53 PM
Rebecca,

Have you tried Lands' End Commuter pants (pleated)? I like that they are machine washable. I am thinking of trying them.

Thanks for your review of Brooks Brothers' plain-front pants.