PDA

View Full Version : Considering changing pediatricians- what would you ask/look for?

SnuggleBuggles
01-30-2008, 09:31 PM
I am meeting with a new pediatrician tomorrow that has come highly recommended by several moms that I share a parenting philosophy with. But, I am interested to hear what features of the Dr. and the practice you would personally be looking for. I don't want to overlook something! Is there anything you love or hate about your Dr. or practice?

ETA- I should say that since I already know we are on the same page with things like vaccines and other bigger issues I am more interested in figuring out what else to consider. Right now all I am hoping for is someone who seems interested in my children, more than just a basic exam. I feel like mine doesn't go into enough detail. My old ped used to bring a clipboard filled with things he wanted to touch on for that age and would really take the time to ask questions and hear your answers. I know there are probably some logistical things I should be looking for too though.
Beth

klwa
01-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Not knowing your parenting philosophy, I'd say the biggest thing would be to ask about anything you really like or dislike about your current ped. I'm assuming there are some dislikes in there if you are considering changing practice. Just make sure taht they have the same outlook on those issues as you.

ShanaMama
01-30-2008, 09:50 PM
highly recommended by several moms that I share a parenting philosophy with.

I take this very seriously. A personal recommendation is a great thing.
Other, minor things I'd check out are convenience of office hours: do they have early mornings, late nights, weekends? Will you always see that one ped or are there others in the practice? How do you feel about seeing those other docs? Also, does the doc have calling hours or a question line, or do you need to make an appt to discuss any concerns.
When I was researching my ped (pre-baby) having separate waiting rooms for sick & well children was important to me. Now, it's less important, because even though they do have separate rooms, it's very hard to confine DD to the correct room & I assume likewise for other sick kids spreading germs. (When she's sick I try to keep her in the sick room, but when she's not I don't insist she stay in the well room).
Finding a good fit with your ped is really important, good luck.