PDA

View Full Version : I'm so tired of hearing, "why mom?"

gatorsmom
01-30-2008, 10:29 PM
Why does he have to ask that after every comment, question, sigh or grunt? It was cute at first. But I just can't think clearly enough anymore to answer him. "Because I said so" doesn't fend him off. "I don't know" doesn't fend him off either. "Go ask your father" does bring some relief when his father is around. And I thought I was so smart by putting the question back on him, "well, what do you think?" But NOW, he's saying, "I don't know, I'm asking you."

I just want to know- who the he** taught him to say that?

kellij
01-30-2008, 11:37 PM
My son does the same precious thing. He says "why?" and then I say because blah, blah, blah, then he says "why?" and I explain that part of it and on and on. I finally started either saying "why are you asking me why?" or just ignoring him. However, he's only 3, so I don't think he's really wanting to know the "why" of it. It is no fun though!

My parents used to complain about how much I used to drive them crazy by asking why all the time. It kind of hurt my feelings and I always planned to give my kids the answers they wanted. I had NO idea what they meant, I didn't realize that he didn't actually want to know the answers.

kozachka
01-31-2008, 03:23 AM
I agree with kellij. The part that drives me crazy the most is the why's that follow seconds after the explanation, and than again and again. Did not you just hear me, dude? I do try to repeat the answer if I can. Otherwise I say "I just told you why". Or I don't have time right now, let's talk about it later. I don't know how I would have handled all the why's if I had as much on my plate as you gatorsmom though.

julieakc
01-31-2008, 04:18 AM
I feel your pain..DS must ask why 150 times a day (no exaggeration, and that might be a conservative estimate).

But often I think he actually does want to know the answer! He's on to me and the fact that I look up information on the computer and will actually tell me "find out" or "look it up" if I tell him I don't know something. :duh:

For the most part I try to be very patient and answer, but it gets old fast, I run out of answers, sometimes there is no answer, sometimes I'm tired, etc. Other people always think it's funny....sure that's because they aren't dealing with it everyday, ALL day:irked:

I thought it would be a phase, but it's been a good 6 months already and it doesn't seem to be fading...his why's just get more complicated.

erosenst
01-31-2008, 01:21 PM
We went through this (and still do occasionally) too. I don't have a problem answering "real" questions. I lose my patience by the xxth time answering the same ones, and truly ridiculous ones.:32:

But there's a shockingly simple solution, which took me WAAAAYYY too long to think of. After the second repetition (more or less, depends on the day....) I very calmly say "I'm not answering that again", and don't. And she stops!!! I have to admit that I'm shocked how well it works.

HTH -

Emily
Abby 4

chlobo
02-01-2008, 12:02 PM
I get that too. It's maddening. Sometimes she'll ask again later & I'll say I already told her & she'll say she forgot - not!