PDA

View Full Version : talk to me about Skip Hops...quick!

nicknack
01-31-2008, 01:42 PM
I'm going this afternoon to hopefully pick up a diaper bag for my sister's shower. She wants messenger style and I know people love these and seems like right around the price I'd want to pay (buying other stuff too so I can't spend a TON).

This is her first, so she doesn't need an enormous one for two kids or anything.

Which style do you like best and why? Help please! (Reason being, I don't live near this store where I'm going--picking up some Aden and Anais blankets too or however you spell them--and I don't think I'll get back there before her shower).

Thanks so much!
Nicole

bubbaray
01-31-2008, 02:38 PM
For one child, I'd say the Dash. I've heard good things about the City style, but not checked it out IRL. I have 2 Dashes (pink camo and denim) and a Duo (red canvas). By far my favorite is the denim. I always get lots of compliments on the pink camo, though.

I like the organization of the Dash and that it stands up (the Duo doesn't). However, I do use the Duo for outings where I take a diaper bag (like the LE LT) to carry and another to leave on the stroller (zoo, theme parks).

hellokitty
01-31-2008, 02:43 PM
I have the original skip hop and got annoyed that it wouldn't stand up by itself. Maybe they have changed the design. They have the bigger ones (duo???) on clearance at target if you want to score a good deal. Sorry, I am so out of the loop when it comes to diaper bags, that is one obsessive phase in my life that I am glad is over, lol. It was an expensive phase!

MontrealMum
01-31-2008, 06:31 PM
Here is my rather lukewarm endorsement for Skip Hop...for someone who has tons of purses, I am surprisingly apathetic about diaper bags :(

I have the Skip Hop Dash Deluxe in Ocean Stripe. I was originally quite excited about it(before the baby was born) because the pattern reminds me of my favorite Kate Spade purse, but at this point I am much more about the stroller and other baby items. I just don't see the diaper bag choice as that critical - but that's just me - I know this is a huge decision for some people. With little sleep and so many other things to think about I've let go of alot :)

The pros:
It has lots of useful pockets, a really long strap, and is made of pretty tough material - so no worries about rips or stains. It is possible to hook it to our stroller (we have a BOB Revolution) but I've only done that once or twice. It's just as easy to drape over the handlebar, especially if you have the mesh cupholder attached. We don't actually use the diaper bag much in conjunction with the stroller, but I figured I'd mention this feature in case you're interested. There is no way it will ever fit in our stroller's basket even with lots of determination.

Also, my husband isn't too embarrassed to carry it...which was important to him.

Cons:
It doesn't seem to close very well, especially if it's really full (not even over-full, but just well-loaded). I find that quite annoying. Also, it doesn't always stand well on its own. The changing pad that comes with it is not very thick, and is quite small if you're trying to change anything but a newborn. The bottle pockets on the outside are large enough to take a reused Evian bottle, but not your average sports bottle - which is what I prefer to use.

Another pro? I was lucky enough to get my Skip Hop on sale at Nordstrom's, so I got a stylish bag, for not too much money.

Surprisingly, we have found that we use the mini backpack we got free from Nestle quite often and like it just as well. Luckily it's a conservative black, without any identifiable branding. And it has the added bonus of being insulated, and has a little mesh pocket in the inner compartment to put a freezer pack in.

codex57
02-01-2008, 03:15 AM
We have an original Dash and the new Dash Deluxe. I like the Dash vs the Duo cuz the Dash looks like a normal messenger bag. Afterwards, if you get a normal color, you can pass it off as a regular messenger bag.

If you stick something in that inside pocket along the side (other side of where the water bottle pockets are), it'll stand up somewhat. We have a 99 cent bottle of vaseline or the Similac to go packets in those pockets.

Having the ability to clip it to the stroller is awesome. That, along with the price, makes it a winner in my book. I wasn't too big a fan of the original, but the new ones updated nearly all my gripes about the original (which is why we broke down and bought a new one even tho our original is just a few months old).