PDA

View Full Version : Size of IKEA crib?

babystuffbuff
01-31-2008, 03:49 PM
We're looking at an IKEA crib (the LEKSVIK one: http://tinyurl.com/3xar8q) and I noticed that it's smaller (54" x 31") and shorter (36") than the cribs my nieces and nephews have used/are using. Both of our spare rooms are on the small size (I stink at guessing measurements, but maybe 9x11'?) so having a smaller crib might actually be good, but I was wondering if that would limit the length of time we would be able to use it. The IKEA website doesn't list a weight limit. DH's family does tend to have pretty tall babies, so that might be another consideration. The crib does convert to a toddler bed, but I know the value of being able to keep a curious kiddo contained as long as possible!

TIA.

lwcain
02-07-2008, 04:02 AM
Hi!

I am decorating a small bedroom (formerly the guest room) in an exotic style for my 18 month old DD, and I'm expecting DS in April. After months of research, I recently pulled the trigger and purchased a Leksvik Crib. After more shopping and debating, I later went back and purchased the matching dresser and changing table top. So, $320 + tax for the pieces.

I'm pleased with the wood tone, scale, versatility, and clean lines of the furniture in DD's small room. I knew just by looking that a bulky,dark wood sleigh crib, for instance, would have overwhelmed the space. I successfully mixed 3 pieces of global furniture in the room with the Ikea items. And I still have plenty of floor space for DD to play. Plus, I can relocate the global furniture anywhere in my house at a later time and it will look fabulous.

My goal is for DD to use the Leksvik crib/toddler bed until she's ready for a big girl bed (size-wise or maturity-wise). At that time, I will upgrade DS from the PNP to the Leksvik items until he outgrows them. My kids will be 22 months apart, and we don't plan on having any more. They do grow fast. Personally, I'd rather spend more on big kid beds that will last through their teens. So, the Leksvik items were a great space-saving and money-saving solution for me.

HTH!

C99
02-07-2008, 10:02 PM
1) Just because DH's family has tall babies does not mean yours will be. DS1 has been in the 50th percentile since about 6 months old (before that, he was about 10th percentile) and the shortest male in DH's family is 6'5".

2) DS1 stayed in his IKEA crib until he was 3 and climbing out all the time. I think most experienced parents will tell you that kids don't really "outgrow" their cribs until they are leaping out of them. My toddlers didn't start climbing out of their cribs (even if they had the physical capability to do so) until they were ready to go into a twin-sized bed (and sometimes not even then!).

srhs
02-09-2008, 10:00 PM
We purchased this crib too but haven't assembled it yet. I'm having a lot of buyer's remorse, though. I'm tall and really worried about that 36" height. It's very low to the ground, and I just don't think my back is going to take leaning over that far with the little one. I'm wondering if there are any safe ways to raise a crib off the ground? Probably not. I would buy the matching changing table if I didn't think I'd be hunched over to use it...

babystuffbuff
02-10-2008, 12:37 AM
We purchased this crib too but haven't assembled it yet. I'm having a lot of buyer's remorse, though. I'm tall and really worried about that 36" height.

Well, I'm only 5'4", so not tall at all, but just looking at the crib in the store makes me concerned. However, the PP had a good point about the scale of the room, and like I said, our room is pretty small.

Thanks for your responses, everyone. :)