PDA

View Full Version : Daycare in D.C. I want to curl up in a ball and cry.

babystuffbuff
01-31-2008, 04:14 PM
I thought applying to college was hard. I thought getting a mortgage was hard. I thought arranging the details of a contract in New York from a hotel room in Greece was hard.

Those things are easy. Finding daycare in the District that doesn't cost the earth AND takes infants AND is open past 6 PM? That's hard. *sigh*

citymama
01-31-2008, 04:27 PM
Are you on the DC Urban Moms list? If you are, post to the list and see what you get. You can also search the archives. If you're not a member, sign up right away at http://mailman.dcurbanmom.com/mailman/listinfo.cgi/dc-urban-moms-list

All the best.

firstbaby
01-31-2008, 04:27 PM
We're in the DC area and I know it's tough. Have you thought about going the nanny route or using a nanny service? What about Craigslist?

babystuffbuff
01-31-2008, 04:48 PM
Are you on the DC Urban Moms list? If you are, post to the list and see what you get - I've found the list to be super helpful. QUOTE]

Thanks, I'd not heard of that. (I really need to learn how to do smilies over here...)

We're not pregnant yet (that's a whole other b!tch) but I was told to look now because of waitlists. I work for the House and everyone I work with has their kids in the center here. They love it. It's bright and clean and SAFE and right across the street from my office. The wait is a year and infant care costs $1200/month. (And the year wait might be a bit optimistic - one of my colleagues waited 18 months for a spot for her daughter.)

That might be our best option, though. They close at six and I work later than that, so that's an issue as well.

[QUOTE=firstbaby]Have you thought about going the nanny route or using a nanny service? What about Craigslist?

The first thing DH said when he heard how much the center cost was, "Geez, can't we get a nanny for that much?" I'm just not as comfortable with that option for some reason - but maybe I need to rethink those feelings.

babystuffbuff
01-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Are you on the DC Urban Moms list? If you are, post to the list and see what you get - I've found the list to be super helpful.

Thanks, I'd not heard of that. (I really need to learn how to do smilies over here...)

We're not pregnant yet (that's a whole other b!tch) but I was told to look now because of waitlists. I work for the House and everyone I work with has their kids in the center here. They love it. It's bright and clean and SAFE and right across the street from my office. The wait is a year and infant care costs $1200/month. (And the year wait might be a bit optimistic - one of my colleagues waited 18 months for a spot for her daughter.)

That might be our best option, though. They close at six and I work later than that, so that's an issue as well.

Have you thought about going the nanny route or using a nanny service? What about Craigslist?

The first thing DH said when he heard how much the center cost was, "Geez, can't we get a nanny for that much?" I'm just not as comfortable with that option for some reason - but maybe I need to rethink those feelings.

babystuffbuff
01-31-2008, 04:51 PM
I tried to edit and it turned into a double post. I give up.

HIU8
01-31-2008, 05:06 PM
I hate to say it, but $1200 in the DC area is reasonable. In MD right outside of DC my sister pays over $1300 for Kindercare for DN. I had DS in a home daycare situation in MD and paid $1000. Then in a preschool daycare and paid $1100. My sister is switching DN to the same preschool DS is in because it is going to be cheaper. I know of several friends whose DC are in government daycare's in DC for around $1000. I also know of people who nanny share because a nanny can cost $600 a week around here.

bubbaray
01-31-2008, 05:37 PM
$1200 for infant care in an urban center sounds about right to me. Thats what it is in Vancouver BC downtown.... ITA, though, the cost is horrifying. And, yeah, people here do put their names on waitlists for daycare prior to even being PG.

babystuffbuff
01-31-2008, 05:53 PM
And, yeah, people here do put their names on waitlists for daycare prior to even being PG.

It kind of makes me feel like I'm tempting fate a little (*knock wood*), but everyone I've talked to here says if you wait until you're pregnant to get on lists, it's possible/probable that when it's time to go back to work you won't have anywhere to put your kid. With just having moved to a new city and no family close by for backup care.....that's not a chance I want to take.

I suppose, though, if costs are going to be that high anyway, then I'd rather have the baby near my office - where I can go nurse at lunch - than near my house. DH works until 8 PM most nights so I'll be the one doing pickup every day, no matter where the daycare is.

jhrabosk
01-31-2008, 06:04 PM
Sorry...wacky things happening at this keyboard...

jhrabosk
01-31-2008, 06:05 PM
Wow...my daycare won't even put you on the waiting list until you can give a due date!

I live just outside NYC and pay $1400 for 4 DAYS, so I feel your pain. And mine is no longer the most expensive game in town...there's a new one now that's over $2000. :)

LarsMal
01-31-2008, 06:20 PM
$1200 in the city is not too bad. My friend lives out in the 'burbs in NoVA- out near Dulles, and will be paying $1900 for five days when she goes back to work.

OUCH!!!!

wellyes
01-31-2008, 06:32 PM
Waiting list suck. I'm pregnant now, and I hate that I have to pick infant care before I know anything about the temperament / needs of my future kid. No choice though.

Regarding price: I'm in a Boston suburb, and I have to say, around here $1200 /month for infant care is about what you'd pay for a private licensed daycare. Centers cost $1400/month or so, I've seen as high as $1900/month. It does get cheaper every year, so that's good.

I found this really interesting - a list of typical prices by state. It's from 2005, so the numbers are no longer accurate, but it does give you an idea of where the expensive / inexpensive regions are: http://www.naccrra.org/docs/policy/PriceReport_detailed_tables.pdf