PDA

View Full Version : Going CRAZY about deciding about trying for a VBAC

TraciG
01-31-2008, 05:14 PM
ok so again we talked about it at the doctor. I have a C section scheduled 2 day's after my due date, the doc think's it should be moved up. Anyway I asked him if I go into labor before that I was thinking about trying to go VBAC, again he said it's still the same risk's. Even though the risk is small it's bad if something were to happen. He feel's the baby is safer with a C section.

Tomorrow I'm having a female doc call me to talk about it, I want to hear her opinion, I haven't seen her in a while because i have to now go to the main office.

VERY hard when it seem's there isn't many supportive doc's !

amyhome1
01-31-2008, 05:20 PM
With my second child, I was adamant about pursuing a VBAC. I wanted the "choice" to be mine.

I even changed OB's because mine (who delivered my DD) refused to do it.

I had a friend who was doing a VBAC two months before my due date.

This friend's baby died, because by the time they realized the baby was in distress, and did an emergency C section, it was too late.

I changed back to my original OB, and delivered (thank God) a healthy baby boy via C Section.

Sorry to be so harsh, but this is the reality of what can happen. I know the odds are small, but death is irreversible.

Hope this helps.

SnuggleBuggles
01-31-2008, 07:33 PM
With my second child, I was adamant about pursuing a VBAC. I wanted the "choice" to be mine.

I even changed OB's because mine (who delivered my DD) refused to do it.

I had a friend who was doing a VBAC two months before my due date.

This friend's baby died, because by the time they realized the baby was in distress, and did an emergency C section, it was too late.

I changed back to my original OB, and delivered (thank God) a healthy baby boy via C Section.

Sorry to be so harsh, but this is the reality of what can happen. I know the odds are small, but death is irreversible.

Hope this helps.

I am so sorry for that tragedy. What a sad loss. (I wonder if it could have happened if she weren't a VBAC mom though? Fetal distress can happen in any birth.)

However, it neglects the fact that c-sections carry risks too. There are no guaranteed perfect birthing choices. Bad things can happen in any birth. When you really sit down and look at the risks/ benefits of VBAC vs RCS there is no obvious winner. It is a matter of looking at the risks, figuring out if there are ways to lessen risks (like not being induced with a VBAC) and deciding what risks you are personally more comfortable with. There are positive and negative experiences on all sides of the fence. As much as personal anecdotes help I think the research is better because it looks at a large population- more statistically significant. But, I admit it would be hard to put personal experiences out of your head when making your individual choice.

GL, Traci.

Beth

TraciG
01-31-2008, 08:25 PM
That is so sad & VERY scary, make's me think maybe I should just do the C section.

I was wondering though the same thing, if the baby would have been in distress no matter what.

I'll see what the doc that is calling tomorrow say's & hopefully FINALLY decide what to do .

Thanks for responding

brittone2
01-31-2008, 08:32 PM
I think it must be a very challenging decision, and I'd never tell someone else what to do. I did want to echo Beth/snugglebuggles advice that issues arising either way are relatively rare. There are risks to mom and baby (respiratory issues, etc.) w/ a repeat C that can also have very serious consequences. Thankfully rare (as w/ most vbacs), but they exist, just as they exist with a vbac.

It is always scary when you hear about someone you know having complications from a birth of any kind. But the research and statistics are what they are. Knowing someone that experienced a tragedy is heart-wrenching, but that doesn't change the statistical outcome.

I think the difficulty may be that if your doc isn't extremely supportive of vbac in the first place, it may make it more challenging to get a vbac once you are in labor because he may push sooner for c/s. That can make it difficult to know how long to hold off on pressures for a c/s if that should happen while you are in labor w/ your vbac.

KrisM
01-31-2008, 09:35 PM
I think the difficulty may be that if your doc isn't extremely supportive of vbac in the first place, it may make it more challenging to get a vbac once you are in labor because he may push sooner for c/s. That can make it difficult to know how long to hold off on pressures for a c/s if that should happen while you are in labor w/ your vbac.

I agree with this. If your doctor is emphasing the risks of VBAC and not giving you all the risks of a Cesarean section, he's biasing your thoughts. I wanted a VBAC with DD and had to really search for a doctor that said more than "well, we can try, but they're often not sucessful". The OB I did have had an attitude that I had about a 75% chance of success. That number was based on the reason for my first c-section, so it does change with the patient.

It's hard to only hear the scary stories of either option. There are lots of good stories for both though.

citymama
02-01-2008, 04:57 AM
I wanted a VBAC with DD and had to really search for a doctor that said more than "well, we can try, but they're often not sucessful".

Kris, did you go with a VBAC then? I'm going to search old threads for more VBAC info, but know that sometime I will be in the same position as Traci, stressing about the risks associated with either option. And I'm curious to know how your experience was with a VBAC (or why you decided against it).

I agree that this is so personal - and ultimately between you and your doctor. This means you'll have to put your faith in the OB who delivers your baby - VBAC or C-section. If you're going with a VBAC, do make sure you have the support and medical expertise you'll need.

Traci, all the very best with the birth experience, whichever delivery option you go with, and all the best for a healthy baby.

amyhome1
02-01-2008, 08:43 AM
This is what I remember from my research (three years ago):

The risks associated with a VBAC vs. C-section are about equal, and perhaps a little higher on the C-section side.

This is why I changed doctors, even though everyone thought I was crazy. I wanted to do a VBAC, I wanted to experience "giving birth", and I wanted to make my own decisions. I was upset my OB wouldn't give me the choice.

HOWEVER, the risk of INFANT MORTALITY is greater with a VBAC.

I don't remember why that was, but I will try to locate the info and provide a link.

amyhome1
02-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Oh, and in the case of my friend, the baby's death WAS a direct result of the VBAC.

Her uterine scar had ruptured, and the problem was, they had no way of knowing that until it was obviously, too late.

That's the biggest problem. Unless this has changed in three years, the doctors and doulas have no way of knowing that the rupture is happening.

KrisM
02-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Kris, did you go with a VBAC then? I'm going to search old threads for more VBAC info, but know that sometime I will be in the same position as Traci, stressing about the risks associated with either option. And I'm curious to know how your experience was with a VBAC (or why you decided against it).

I did decide for a VBAC and am very glad I did. I, however, ended up with a second c-birth, after pushing for 3.5 hours and DD still being at station -1 and her heart rate dropping. But, I at least got to get to pushing, etc. and that makes me happy.

Shortly after my first c-birth in 2004, I did a lot of research on cesareans vs. VBAC and would be happy to send you that, if you'd like.

This time I'll have a planned, unscheduled c-birth. I have found a OB practice who does not insist on scheduling at 39w and has no problems with me going into spontaneous labor and then coming in for the cesarean. I'm disappointed that I won't have a VBAC, but I am okay with it.

KrisM
02-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Oh, and in the case of my friend, the baby's death WAS a direct result of the VBAC.

Her uterine scar had ruptured, and the problem was, they had no way of knowing that until it was obviously, too late.

That's the biggest problem. Unless this has changed in three years, the doctors and doulas have no way of knowing that the rupture is happening.

I'm very sorry that your friend lost her baby due to rupture. How very sad.

I don't know if there is a good way of detecting a rupture as it's happening or prior to it happening or not. I've not researched that. But, the risk of rupture is about 1:200 and for it to be catastrophic is even lower (1:3500, I think). The risk of cord prolapse is about 1:300, which isn't much smaller than rupture, but it doesn't scare people nearly as much. I'm not even sure my doctors ever told me what to do in case that happens. I do remember learning about it in Bradley Method classes.

Anyway, while the risk of rupture is most definitely real, it is fairly small. It is a very tough decision to make and to figure out which things you're willing to risk - a chance of uterine rupture with a VBAC or a higher chance of maternal death and hysterectomy with a c-birth. And, heck, your lifetime odds of dying in a car accident are about 1:250.

amyhome1
02-01-2008, 12:55 PM
Excellent point, Kris.

The real question is, do you put more of an increased risk on yourself, or on the baby. It's NOT an easy decision. Particularly having another child or children already who depend on you. Which leans toward the VBAC, I suppose. That's why I chose to pursue one initially, and planned on it for 6 months of that pregnancy.

I'm sure my point of view is less than objective at this point, but I feel like I'm speaking on my friend's behalf, she would want this information to be known.

Good luck to you, Traci. There is no absolute right or wrong either way. You're doing your best by making an informed decision.

Ceepa
02-01-2008, 01:11 PM
It's such a personal decision. I wouldn't dare tell another mom what to do, I can only speak from my experience. I was tormented by the VBAC vs. C-section decision for months. Seriously went back and forth about a dozen times.

Then one day I called and scheduled my repeat C-section. After that my anxiety really cleared up and I could sleep again. I knew all the pros and cons for both procedures, but there was something about that threat of uterine rupture that stuck in my head. On another message board a member had photos of all her kids in her signature line, including the one of her baby who died during an attempted VBAC. That affected me deeply.

It's a tough decision.

TraciG
02-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Wow I can't believe Amy that your friends scar ruptured, I have never heard of it happening, hearing that make's me think I should stick with the C section, even though the risk is so low to me that is VERY scary !

I am still waiting for the doctor to call me & see what she say's.

Again, thanks everyone, your responses really help !

I'll let you know what I decide to do

amyhome1
04-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Traci,

I was thinking about you...what did you decide?

amyhome1
04-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Traci,

I was thinking about you...what did you decide?

Melanie
04-30-2008, 03:35 PM
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=288091

Davids-Coco
04-30-2008, 06:07 PM
As a c-birth mom who is contemplating this herself, I have to say that you have to do what feels right to you. Once you know the statistics and rates, forget them. You need to do what your heart tells you. If attempting the vbac and failing is going to pose a serious risk of PPD, that is something to consider as well. You have to do the healthiest option for YOU.

The thing that a c-birth mom can understand is that you have be willing to have either one happen and prepare for both. I wish it were as easy as coming on here and asking us what you should do. Unfortunately, you and your doctors are the only ones who can help you make an educated decision about your situation.