PDA

View Full Version : Are you an Organ Donor?

Corie
01-31-2008, 05:55 PM
And, does your husband/wife and family know of your decision?

lisams
01-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Yes and yes! I carry my organ donor card in my wallet.

Drag0nflygirl
01-31-2008, 06:23 PM
Double yes here too. It's right on my drivers license.
Nancy
DD Cara 10-25-05

elektra
01-31-2008, 06:24 PM
Both DH and I are organ donors, and yes we are both aware of each other's status.

Moneypenny
01-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Yes, and yes. My husband also knows that he is to inform the doctor that I am very squeamish about my eyes. I will donate them but I want DH to tell the doctor to be particularly gentle with my corneas. I know I won't actually care at that point, but I never claimed to be rational, so there ya go!

Momof3Labs
01-31-2008, 06:34 PM
Yes and yes.

icunurse
01-31-2008, 06:34 PM
Yes, I am an organ donor on my driver's license and,yes, my family members know my wishes. However, just that does not guarantee that they will follow through in the event of having to make such a decision. I have seen many families refuse donation for one reason or another, even when their loved ones had it stated on their drivers license or in a living will. All the more reason to continue talking to your family members about it. And not just your spouse, but other family members who can support your spouse in his/her decision regarding your donation.

Some states (I know IL is one of them) are now taking what's called "first consent", meaning that you go to the website and give direct consent for your organ donation. That way, in case your family members waiver or are unsure, you have already given consent and taken that burden off of them.

http://www.lifegoeson.com/

Pennylane
01-31-2008, 06:36 PM
Yes to both.

Ann

JTsMom
01-31-2008, 07:20 PM
Yes and yes!

lizajane
01-31-2008, 07:56 PM
yes, yes, yes, yes, yes. DH knows that i can't even talk about it... but that i want every single itty bitty piece of me donated. seriously. to a medical school after organ donation.

DH is an organ donor. and he made his dad his power of attorney after me and shared all his wishes. my sister is my power of attorney after DH and she knows.

and it is so hard to even say it, but as the legal decision maker, my children are organ donors, too, and my family also knows about this decision.

californiagirl
01-31-2008, 08:04 PM
yes, and yes, and DH is, and my father is, and I am next of kin for both and know, and I know how they feel about long-term life-support, and they know how I feel. (Only my father has an official living will.)

scoop22
01-31-2008, 08:08 PM
yes to both!!!!!

Davids-Coco
01-31-2008, 08:15 PM
Fine, I'll be different...

No, and yes. We can not be "incomplete" to be buried in a Jewish cemetery. We also can not have our bodies mutilated or corpses defiled... So, we also can not have an autopsy. Tattoos and piercing (cept girls ears) are a no-no.

Marisa6826
01-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Absolutely in response to both questions. So is Jonathan, and I would donate the girls' organs - God forbid that situation were to present itself.

-m

Marisa6826
01-31-2008, 08:31 PM

No, and yes. We can not be "incomplete" to be buried in a Jewish cemetery. We also can not have our bodies mutilated or corpses defiled... So, we also can not have an autopsy. Tattoos and piercing (cept girls ears) are a no-no.

We actually looked into this - Jonathan's Jewish. I think it depends on how Orthodox you are. The Rabbi that married us (Reform) said it was OK, as it is considered a Mitzvah to save a life (just like you can drive on the Sabbath to get to the hospital if somebody is dying and they need help). But at the same time, more Conservative Jews say that the organs can't just sit in a bank - that they have to be harvested to readily go into another body. Just thought I'd let you know that it's not as cut and dried as a yes/no thing. ;)

-m

brittone2
01-31-2008, 08:35 PM
Yes and yes.

Very, very close friends of my parents (well, my whole family really) have a daughter that has been through multiple kidney transplants. She's in her early 30s. She had several transplants from family members, and recently (finally!) got a donor match just before a friend of hers was going to donate her kidney to her.

I also had a friend in high school that was killed in a car accident when first learning to drive. Her father had eye issues. They donated her organs (at her request) and her dad ended up with her corneas.

Those two stories have made it a very easy decision for me to make.

DH's grandparents are both donating their bodies to science.

rlu
01-31-2008, 08:40 PM
Yes yes for me, yes yes for DH and yes for DS (but haven't really run around telling everyone that-need to).

But the will, living trust, etc.? We haven't done that (hangs head in shame) although I have many of the forms recognized in CA on hand.

On the other hand, I've already sent emails to various family and friends telling them how I want my remains dispersed, some of the bible verses to be read, and a list of songs to be played during and after the service. Talk about controlling! But, the year DH and I were married was the first of 5 years we averaged 3 funnerals and 1 wedding annually, and we've planned FIL's funneral - we've seen learned how getting the details known ahead of time can make it easier on those left behind. Now to get the will, etc., done.

eta: we can mark our driver's license in CA as well

julieakc
01-31-2008, 08:55 PM
Yes and yes.

I carry the donor card with my driver's license, registered someplace online that I was a donor (forget the website), and it's in my medical directive (both DH and I indicated that our bodies could be donated in any way needed when we did our medical directives).

Aside from the religious aspect, which I can totally respect, I don't see any reason why not to give someone else such a huge gift and I would hope that my famliy would receive some confort in knowing that my parts helped other families (either directly through organ donation or indirectly through medical education).

JBaxter
01-31-2008, 09:00 PM
No but DH is but I told him I would not agree to it unless its a family memeber or close friend. My mom is also a no. Some people may not under stand but thats my veiw.

o_mom
01-31-2008, 09:13 PM
Yes all around.

jawilli4
01-31-2008, 09:38 PM
Absolutely yes for all members of my immediate family. My sister died in college and my parents donated her organs. They were given a list of the organs donated and a general description of the recipient for each one. The fact they donated her organs was the first thing that brought me peace. I still wonder about the lives she touched with her life and how those people are doing.

belovedgandp
01-31-2008, 09:44 PM
Yes all around here too.

It can be a hard conversation to start, but one of the better discussions I have had both with my husband and with my parents. Once, I'm gone there's nothing that I need those organs for. The number of people who pass away while on an organ donation list just makes me sick.

We had always said, yes, I want to be an organ donor in general terms. When our first son was born, we put together our estate plan and really had the hardcore conversation about our funeral plans and defining our medical directives. Not the most uplifting conversation, but still good to have.

Since we put our estate plan together, two of DH's relatives have passed. Watching his family's behavior is enough to make me cringe. Nothing should be left to any kind of assumption with them. I went back and spelled out everything in even more detail, so that it was in black and white. Obviously we have a real love of the in-laws going here. Fortunately DH feels the same. We actually both have different members of my family as primary and secondary trustees and guardians.

egoldber
01-31-2008, 10:07 PM
Yes and yes.

When Leah died, one small piece of comfort we derived was being able to donate some of her organs and tissues. It brings me some small happiness today to know that there is a child today who can see with her corneas and another child with a valve from her heart that otherwise might have died. I don't know anything else about them other than that they exist.

bisous
01-31-2008, 11:20 PM
I want to be but I'm not sure that I am "all signed up". Add that to my list of things to do. I feel strongly that if I were to pass I would want to make a difference to as many people as possible.

egoldber
01-31-2008, 11:32 PM
I'm not sure that I am "all signed up"

Honestly, it doesn't matter what you've signed. What matters is that your relatives who will be called or talked to by doctors should you be in a situation to be considered as a donor know your wishes and will respect them. Having a donor card means nothing if your DH says no when asked whether or not he wishes to donate your organs.

missym
01-31-2008, 11:33 PM
I can't donate blood or organs due to a prior health condition, but DH is a donor. He's also registered with the National Marrow Donor Program. I was so proud of him when he made the effort to be put on the list.

http://www.marrow.org

ohiomom
02-01-2008, 12:04 AM
Yes and Yes for me, no for DH, which just about kills me. He recently saw a heart-tugging tv show - Dateline or something similar w/a transplant story and he sounded the most open as he ever has. He tells me if I donate his organs against his wishes he'll haunt me -- and I believe him. That said, I may be a bit off my numbers but there are around 80,000 people waiting for donor kidneys. I've worked with patients with advanced kidney disease all my professional career and have known many who have died while waiting while only few get transplanted. I have many friends and colleagues with kidney transplants. One described waking up after surgery as if someone had turned a light on. She was in that much of a fog. Life expectancy once you need dialysis is worse than stage IV lung/colon cancer. Literally 1/5 of patient in a dialysis unit will be gone by the end of the year, on average. It's heartbreaking. Yes, people can live on dialysis, but not really all that well and most not for long -- 7-8 yrs unless they start really young. It takes a huge toll on their personal and professional lives -- stealing at least 4-6 hours per day 3 days per week.

My message -- if you aren't completely opposed for some reason -- get your behind in gear and have this conversation. It is so important to the lives of not only the people needing the organs, but their families and children as well.

Stepping down now.... :thanks:

DD1 7/03
DD2 9/06

kijip
02-01-2008, 12:27 AM
Yes. And Yes. We have a health care/medical directive. My husband and I are both on the same page about this and fully support organ, tissue and research donation options. There are very few times and places where anyone can truly say they literally saved a life, especially in a way that con comfort family somewhat after tragedy. If given the opportunity to save a life, why would I decline?

Davids-Coco
02-01-2008, 12:37 AM
We actually looked into this - Jonathan's Jewish. I think it depends on how Orthodox you are. The Rabbi that married us (Reform) said it was OK, as it is considered a Mitzvah to save a life (just like you can drive on the Sabbath to get to the hospital if somebody is dying and they need help). But at the same time, more Conservative Jews say that the organs can't just sit in a bank - that they have to be harvested to readily go into another body. Just thought I'd let you know that it's not as cut and dried as a yes/no thing. ;)

-m

Sorry, I should have been clearer that it does depend on the congregation and cemetery rules... Our traditional congregation's synagogue mandates for us. And, we want to be buried there, so our decision is made.

vwh99
02-01-2008, 12:54 AM
Considering that I'm a health professional, I suprised myself with the whole organ donation thing. It took me a really long time to say 'yes' and it was only recently when I had to renew my driver's license and had to check off either the yes/no box that there was no way I could justify to myself why I wouldn't do it. I think it has to do w/ my own issues re: my own death. Plus, what is the deal w/ eyes....I'm squeamish about that too!

Now that I've decided, I know it is the right decision. My poor father really suffered for 10 years on dialysis so I know first hand what a poor alternative it is to transplant. I always felt bad about not having been a living donor (I have kidney issues too) and no one in my family has ever been a donor, so that also added to the obstacles of being the first one (as far as I know)

Val
dd 10/03
ds 8/06
? 6/08

daisymommy
02-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Yes and Yes! You can't take it with you when you go!

R2sweetboys
02-01-2008, 02:19 AM
Yes for all of us here. DH and I were JUST talking about this tonight b/c there was a story on the local news. The organ recipient was doing so well and it was clear that the parents of the donor(18 YO :gloomy: ) found some peace knowing this. Other than religious reasons, I can't really think of a reason not to.

Melanie
02-01-2008, 02:47 AM
Yes, meaning my husband knows (and I think my mom but I ought to remind her!) but I do not have the sticker on my Driver's License because I HEARD (I have NO idea if it's true) that ER docs won't try as hard b/c organs are in such need.

Melanie
02-01-2008, 02:51 AM
I can't donate blood or organs due to a prior health condition, but DH is a donor. He's also registered with the National Marrow Donor Program. I was so proud of him when he made the effort to be put on the list.

http://www.marrow.org

Has he gotten called? I've gotten called twice to give blood. Even the nurses at the hospital were excited b/c they said it doesn't happen often. After the last one I got a letter saying I was a match but the person was not a candidate at this time. :( I am sad to think of what that means. OTOH I unexpectedly became pregnant sooner than I had planned so I couldn't have anyway so in some aspects it was a relief not to have failed someone.

caleymama
02-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Yes and Yes. DH knows and is fine with it. I should probably explicitly tell my parents, but I'm 99% sure they wouldn't object. DH is also yes and yes.

missym
02-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Has he gotten called? I've gotten called twice to give blood. Even the nurses at the hospital were excited b/c they said it doesn't happen often. After the last one I got a letter saying I was a match but the person was not a candidate at this time. :( I am sad to think of what that means. OTOH I unexpectedly became pregnant sooner than I had planned so I couldn't have anyway so in some aspects it was a relief not to have failed someone.

Good for you for being registered! DH hasn't gotten called yet, but he would be thrilled to donate if he matches someone. And that is so sad about the second candidate, to not be able to get the donation after finding a match.

nupe
02-01-2008, 09:07 AM
Yes I am an organ donor.

pb&j
02-01-2008, 09:25 AM
Yes and yes. I have instructed my family that if it's possible, I want everything donated that can possibly be donated. My only stipulation is that I do not want to be donated as a whole cadaver for cadaver lab.

almostsane
02-01-2008, 12:11 PM
I am but DH is not. He has, very reluctantly, agreed that he will donate all buy my eyes. Not sure anyone would want them anyway as I have worn glasses or contacts since I was 9. He says he just can not stand the thought of someone else having my eyes. Now I know that might not sound very rational, but my eyes are the first thing he noticed about me. I had to do a lot of talking, reasoning, and explaining to get him to agree to the donation, so I will live with knowing that he can't give up the eyes. I would love for my child(ren) to be donors, but I have not gotten up the courage to even talk to myself about that one. If the time ever comes, we can decide then.

erosenst
02-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Yes and yes. Also am included in the bone marrow registry. It's been less than a year, but I haven't been called yet. However, I also know that DH does NOT want to be an organ donor. I hope to never have to face this decision (for numerous reasons!), as I strongly believe in it - but I would have to say "no" if asked to donate DH's organs based on his wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa6826

-m

Sorry, I should have been clearer that it does depend on the congregation and cemetery rules... Our traditional congregation's synagogue mandates for us. And, we want to be buried there, so our decision is made.

You might want to check back with the cemetary if you haven't recently - an increasing number have changed their policies as organ donation has become less "experimental", and it's more possible to know that it's going directly to a recipient.

Oh - and we're Jewish as well. But it has nothing to do with why DH won't donate. He just thinks (for unknown reason, including to him) he might need them again some day. :rolleye0014:

Emily

icunurse
02-01-2008, 06:18 PM
Yes, meaning my husband knows (and I think my mom but I ought to remind her!) but I do not have the sticker on my Driver's License because I HEARD (I have NO idea if it's true) that ER docs won't try as hard b/c organs are in such need.

COMPLETELY UNTRUE. First, in a trauma situation, the docs won't even see your license, typically the police hold on to that to contact next of kin and to also identify you (we have had people with another's person's license or a fake ID at our hospital). Second, for almost all donations, you need to have a beating heart and oxygenation going on to preserve the organs until the many, many tests and labs are done to correctly match you with a potential recipient, see if their doc will accept the organ, set up the teams/or suite for harvesting of the organs, and then much less time to transport them. Prep for organ donation (heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, etd) does not even start until the patient has been declared brain dead, then someone speaks to the family about donation, then the testing and contacting transplant doccs begins (can be anywhere from 12-24 hours depending on any problems found and how difficult it might be to place the organ). Someone who comes into the ER coding will not be able to donate much more than maybe corneas if they die right then and there (well, unless you wanted your whole body donated to science). And I can assure you that an entire ER staff wouldn't go along with letting anyone receive subpar treatment to *maybe* get organs (not everyone donates, not everyone CAN donate, and it would be a real feat for a doc to be able to plan to make you brain dead but not stop your heart).

(Sorry if that was TMI, but that is a common misconception among potential donors)

Happy 2B mommy
02-01-2008, 10:09 PM
Yes and yes.

While DH and I were having this conversation w/ MIL she commented that she strongly believed in any and all measures because she feels that life is sacred and if others pray hard enough miracles happen. I quiped, "well, in our case, if God doesn't answer our prayers as we want, we hope our organs will be the answer to another family's prayers."

We all came to the understanding that we will respect and follow each others wishes. That being said, Dh and I should probably get a medical directive and be listed as organ donors on our states website, because MIL is our only adult immediate family and in that situation I'm not sure she really could keep her promise.

Kerri

DD 11/06

jawilli4
02-01-2008, 10:47 PM
And I can assure you that an entire ER staff wouldn't go along with letting anyone receive subpar treatment to *maybe* get organs...)

I totally agree with this. When my sister was in the car accident that ultimately led to her death, my parents tried to tell her doctors that they wanted to donate her organs. She had already been lifelighted into a hospital but hadn't yet been declared braindead, although all signs were pointed in that direction. Her doctors absolutely refused to talk to them about organ donation as it was very much against hospital policy to broach the subject until a patient is declared braindead. (Of course this was a long time ago and I wasn't present, so this is just what I remember of the story.) However, my parents certainly didn't think she got subpar treatment just because the doctors already knew of their intent to donate her organs and both desire to donate their organs as well. I can understand the origination of the myth but it is something that I don't worry about either.

kellij
02-01-2008, 10:58 PM
I've got it marked to be a donor and I think everyone in my family is as well. Partially, I think because of me. I have a degenerative eye disease and at some point the only way I may be able to continue to see is if I get a corneal transplant. (That's the clear part on the front of your eye, you can see a cat's cornea really easily from the side). They are making medical advancements in the area and hopefully it won't come to that, but it's wonderful that there are so many giving people so if it has to happen it will hopefully be an option.

I also would love that a part of me helped someone to continue to live or that someone I love would go on living in someone else and help them to have a longer life.

buddyleebaby
02-01-2008, 11:09 PM
COMPLETELY UNTRUE. First, in a trauma situation, the docs won't even see your license, typically the police hold on to that to contact next of kin and to also identify you (we have had people with another's person's license or a fake ID at our hospital). Second, for almost all donations, you need to have a beating heart and oxygenation going on to preserve the organs until the many, many tests and labs are done to correctly match you with a potential recipient, see if their doc will accept the organ, set up the teams/or suite for harvesting of the organs, and then much less time to transport them. Prep for organ donation (heart, lungs, liver, kidneys, etd) does not even start until the patient has been declared brain dead, then someone speaks to the family about donation, then the testing and contacting transplant doccs begins (can be anywhere from 12-24 hours depending on any problems found and how difficult it might be to place the organ). Someone who comes into the ER coding will not be able to donate much more than maybe corneas if they die right then and there (well, unless you wanted your whole body donated to science). And I can assure you that an entire ER staff wouldn't go along with letting anyone receive subpar treatment to *maybe* get organs (not everyone donates, not everyone CAN donate, and it would be a real feat for a doc to be able to plan to make you brain dead but not stop your heart).

(Sorry if that was TMI, but that is a common misconception among potential donors)

My DH is a paramedic and we've heard the whole "they won't try as hard" thing before. I find it so disrespectful to all emergency medicine professionals, and I am grateful to you for addressing so eloquently. I just get aggravated! :jammin:

ETA To the Op, I am a donor. Anything they can use, including skin.

rgors
02-01-2008, 11:15 PM
Honestly, it doesn't matter what you've signed. What matters is that your relatives who will be called or talked to by doctors should you be in a situation to be considered as a donor know your wishes and will respect them. Having a donor card means nothing if your DH says no when asked whether or not he wishes to donate your organs.

This is true in some states, but not others. The consent laws can differ greatly.

dr mom
02-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Yes, and yes. I've had this conversation with everyone in my immediate family. DH and my mother are also organ donors, so we're all on the same page.

I can't imagine NOT donating, when there are so many people on the waiting list whose lives can be transformed by the generous act of organ donation.

I also belong to Lifesharers (www.lifesharers.org) which is a non-profit network of organ donors. Members agree to donate upon their death, and they give fellow members first access to their organs. I feel they are increasing public awareness of the need for organ donation, while also creating a strong incentive system for donation, since members of the network have priority access to donated organs.

I have some problems with how UNOS handles organ distribution, particularly since donated organs are now less likely to be used regionally but are instead made available nationally to the sickest patients. As transport times increase, I think outcomes are going to worsen (the longer an organ is deprived of oxygen, the harder it becomes to get it functioning again) and honestly I feel that areas who have worked hard to implement strong organ donor programs *deserve* to see the benefits of their efforts, and should have first access to organs that become available locally.

Finally, it is ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE that if you are an organ donor, you won't be resuscitated as aggressively as someone who is not. I've worked in the ER, and I can tell you that we put 100% effort into saving EVERY patient...even the abusive drunk gang member who curses at the staff is going to get the best care we can provide...our job is to heal, period. That has to be one of the dumbest healthcare-related urban legends I've heard, right up there with the guy who wakes up in a bathtub full of ice with his kidneys missing and a note to call 911. Seriously, who makes this stuff up?!

vludmilla
02-02-2008, 09:50 AM
I'm so glad I'm on this board with so many great people. Organ donation is so important and DH and I are both very aware of each other's wishes to donate. I don't like to think of it but I would donate DD's organs if that ever came up which I dearly hope it doesn't.

I feel it is important to respect the wishes of others, including religious belief, but personally I have found it difficult to accept the religious dogma that I was raised with since it seems to contradict reason. In this case, I know that there are many people who die waiting for organ donation and I have no reason to believe that I will need my organs after I die so why wouldn't I donate them. It seems to me that a benevolent God would want us to help each other out.

Sillygirl
02-02-2008, 05:45 PM

Obviously, I'm in no position to tell you about your own religion. I'm just surprised to hear about the policy mandated by your synagogue. There were a large number of Orthodox Jewish faculty members in my medical school and I heard a lot about how saving lives through organ donation is a mitzvah, a mandate, etc.

Most religions have specifically addressed organ donation. There's a brief summary here: http://www.organtransplants.org/understanding/religion/.

Also, I've heard the "they won't work to save me so they can snatch my organs" so many times, I know it's not going to be stomped out easily. But just so it's clear - the care team that cares for potential donors are not the same people that care for the potential recipients. Many times, the organs leave the hospital and go someplace else. And donation rates are tracked for each medical center, but it's not like "Harvest twenty, win a trip to Hawaii!" They look at the percentage of POTENTIAL DONORS that donate. If you come in and you're saveable, you don't count in that statistic. So there is absolutely NO INCENTIVE not to work to save someone. I mean, besides being a complete rejection of the ethical principles we're sworn to uphold, and that we work long hours over many years in service of.

bubbaray
02-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Thank you for this. I had been meaning for years to register (its not part of the DL anymore here) and never bothered -- how lame is that?! I just registered online and will sign and fax back the registration confirmation on Monday....

Here, we can choose to donate for transplant, transplant research. I chose just transplant. I'm not too keen on the research part, even though I won't be needing those bits at that point!

I have no idea if DH is interested. I did his form up too, and it will be interesting to see if he'll sign. We have an ongoing debate about cremation (my choice) vs burial (his) -- I swear, if he buries me, I've told him I'm comin' back to haunt him! Cremation completely wigs him out, so it will be very interesting to see if he has "issues" with organ donation.

Just wondering, has anyone registered their children as organ donors???

Davids-Coco
02-03-2008, 02:06 AM
There were a couple comments in response to mine about being Jewish. Maybe it is this area, maybe it is our belief system... I understand it is a mitzvah; I understand it is changing some places. I know that some places have their own policies. Perhaps I need to outline every possible reason people would have to say that what is happening here isn't happening everywhere, but I assume that people know that places and situations are different... Just because somewhere, there are orthodox jews who are mandated to donate doesn't mean that I am going to go against my cemetery's policies. And, we are fortunate that since the cemetery is attached to our synagogue and they tell us of any changes.

But, when it comes down to it, we live within the standards of our particular cemetery... and I want to be buried with my family.

ShanaMama
02-03-2008, 02:47 AM
I am not an organ donor because I'm Jewish. At this point in my life, I don't have an affiliation with any particular cemetery, but the prerequisities in David-Coco's original posts basically speak for me as well. No organ donation, no autopsy. We are very particular to bury every part of the deceased, so in an accident (or terrorist attack, tragically) there are people who collect all the remains for burial.
Apparently, not all Jews follow this practice, but I intend to for myself & all family members.

That being said, I have donated blood numerous times & am signed up on an international bone marrow registry. I have seriously considered donating a kidney, but (partly due to DH's vehement opposition) it would have to be after I've finished having & raising my kids.

dogmom
02-03-2008, 08:40 PM

Ha! That's funny!

As a trauma nurse and former Donation Coordinator for an OPO (Organ procurement organization) I can tell you they are more likely to keep you organs working "alive" if they think you would make a good donor. Most organs come from organs taken from individuals that have sustained so much damage to their brains they have no upper or lower brain function. (Hence the term brain dead, which is legal declaration of death.) Only after the determination of brain death, work up of organ function, and matching or organs with recipients, testing, etc. does the body go to the operating room for support to be withdrawn and organs recovered.

During this time the body is only being kept alive by the medical staff via a respiratory and a bucket load of medications to actually give a blood pressure to perfuse the organs. Not surprising, when your brain is completely gone your body cannot breath or maintain a blood pressure on it's own. Sometimes, despite the best efforts, the body doesn't make it to donation.

Yes, and as the other person said, the whole "they won't try to save me because of a sticker on my drivers license" tends to piss me off. That's only slightly better than my friend who survived breast cancer who maintains that the health profession doesn't try to find a cure for cancer because of the "medical cancer industrial complex." Yeah, we like letting people waste away from cancer because we make money off of it.

Melanie
02-04-2008, 04:47 AM
COMPLETELY UNTRUE.

Oh good! I'm glad. And thank you for the "TMI explanation," too. I do not think it was TMI at all.

HannaAddict
02-04-2008, 04:48 AM
Yes, organ donor here and so is my husband.

Melanie
02-04-2008, 04:52 AM
Yes, and as the other person said, the whole "they won't try to save me because of a sticker on my drivers license" tends to piss me off. That's only slightly better than my friend who survived breast cancer who maintains that the health profession doesn't try to find a cure for cancer because of the "medical cancer industrial complex." Yeah, we like letting people waste away from cancer because we make money off of it.

I am glad for you and the PPers who get so upset about this misnormer that you have never been wronged by a 'medical professional' such that you can not imagine how anyone would think negatively about them, nor their intent. We are not all so fortunate.

dogmom
02-04-2008, 04:03 PM
I am glad for you and the PPers who get so upset about this misnormer that you have never been wronged by a 'medical professional' such that you can not imagine how anyone would think negatively about them, nor their intent. We are not all so fortunate.

I understand being wronged, I understand bad health care people, been there, done that. It's the idea that there is a giant conspiracy out there at soon as a person rolls into the emergency room and has a donor card the whole room is going to say, "lets kill them for the organs." That's why I compared it to my friend who thinks there is some cure for cancer we are all hiding from the general population. This goes beyond thinking someone is a bad doctor or nurse that will make a mistake or screw up and lead to someone dying. This is accusing my profession of actively killing someone.

Mamma2004
02-04-2008, 04:42 PM
Yes, and yes. DH and I are both organ donors and it's written right on our licenses.

icunurse
02-04-2008, 04:43 PM

I won't even get into how many times or how badly I have "been wronged" or failed personally by a medical professional in the past year (or in my life, for that matter). But I certainly wouldn't judge a whole group of people or a profession based on that.