PDA

View Full Version : Update: I can talk

niccig
01-31-2008, 08:12 PM
I can talk :yay: Well sort off. I had a 2nd surgery yesterday that's a temporary fix for my paralyzed vocal cord. The doctor injected collagen to bulk up the vocal cord, so that it covers the trachea as it is supposed to do. Unfortunately, he didn't take me up on the offer to use left-over collagen to smooth out any wrinkles. :p

My swallowing is 100% better, no choking on food/drink. My voice is stronger, but there's still a way to go. I'll keep doing speech therapy, and hopefully the damage will heal before the collagen is reabsorbed by my body. If not, they can inject it again. But the speech therapist is very confident that my voice will return as long as I do my exercises.

So as for the list of positives about not being able to talk, the main benefit was my patience. I had to be more patient with DS, and go right up to him and say something once. And it worked. He's listening better, and I wasn't getting frustrated when he didn't listen. The morning routine was much more mellow. I never screamed at DS, but I would raise my voice like "Hurry up we have to go." Me being quieter and calmer has been a real eye opener, and I hope this will stay with me when my voice is 100%. This is how all the parenting books say to interact with your child, but I found it difficult to do, as it's totally opposite to how I was raised. Well, now I know I can do it.

We're also going to keep up the sign language to use when our friend's DS#2 with Downs Syndrome gets older. She's teaching her DS#1, so I'll keep using it my DS too.

Unfortunately, DH is already back to - well can't you make the phone call. :banghead: But I'll keep working on him.

So, as frustrating as it was for the first week or so, this whole experience hasn't been too bad.

Nicci

1. I can't yell at DS - I was brought up in a yelling house and I didn't like it.

2. DS and I are learning sign language. A good friend's DC#2 has Down's syndrome and she is teaching her DC#1 signs as they might need to use it with the baby brother. So, now DS and I will be able to talk to Baby G as well.

3. I have to go up to DS, get his attention before I sign or say something.

4. DS's listening skills should improve, I really really need him to listen well.

5. DS may become more independent, as he needs to help mama to do things

6. DH and I will find arguing difficult.

7. DH has to help more with house management, I can't make any phone calls to organize dr's appointment or call the plumber

8. I have to take small bites of food, chew them well and be careful with swallowing otherwise food goes into my trachea. Mmmm maybe if I eat more slowly (always been a fast eater), I'll eat less and lose the 10lbs I put on last year.

You know, no. 7 alone may be worth it! DH organizes nothing, and it drives me crazy as pre-me he managed everything.

Nicci

KrisM
01-31-2008, 09:38 PM
What a fabulous attitude you have! That list is very impressive with a ton of benefits to everyone!

I agree - if I had a way to do #7, I'd love it :)

MamaMolly
01-31-2008, 10:04 PM
Nicci,
I'm so proud of you! I read your post about people thinking your situation was funny, and I felt so sad b/c I know my family (and especially DH's) would treat me the same way.
I am also working on finding the bright side of things, and just wanted to say that your post inspires me!
Hugs,

clc053103
01-31-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm sorry, I missed your post about your vocal cord injury- I had half my thyroid removed two years ago and in moving my vocal cord out of the way, I had two months of being largely unable to talk. It was DH's happiest time in marriage! LOL! It's a really frustrating time- but you have a good outlook!!! Best wishes with healing!

Courtney

ShanaMama
01-31-2008, 10:42 PM
Wow Nicci! Good for you for finding the positive. And those are some really great reasons. Here's to a quick healing.

bubbaray
01-31-2008, 10:48 PM
Woo hoo -- good for you for looking for the positive!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery! :)

hellokitty
01-31-2008, 11:11 PM
That's so wonderful that you are able to see the positives to the situation. You have a very healthy outlook on life.

bisous
01-31-2008, 11:17 PM
Wow. Kudos to you for finding the positive in what could be a tough situation. I really admire your attitude and resourcefulness. Hope you feel better soon!

Jen

niccig
02-01-2008, 01:28 AM
I'm sorry, I missed your post about your vocal cord injury- I had half my thyroid removed two years ago and in moving my vocal cord out of the way, I had two months of being largely unable to talk. It was DH's happiest time in marriage! LOL! It's a really frustrating time- but you have a good outlook!!! Best wishes with healing!

Courtney

Courtney, I had the same surgery. They removed a thyroid nodule bigger than a tennis ball, and the nodule was wrapped around the vocal cord nerve. Alas, I was in the less than 1% that has this complication.

niccig
02-01-2008, 01:35 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm trying to be positive. It's really difficult, and trust me, I've been annoyed and po'ed about it and I will be for a while. But the reality is that it could be this way for months. I have to figure out a way to deal with it, as there's no quick fix. The nodule they removed was pushing on my trachea and if left it would have interfered with breathing, so can't breathe vs can't talk, not a hard decision to make.

I see the surgeon tomorrow for post-op visit and then start speech therapy on Monday. If it doesn't heal on it's own, they can do another surgery but I was told that won't be for 6 months, and then after that they'll be more speech therapy.

I'm just writing this year off as the "Year my Voice Broke" - which is a really funny joke as that's an Australian movie and it was shot in the small country town I grew up in!

Gena
02-01-2008, 10:06 AM
You might want to think about keping a journal of this time. Years from now it might be interesting to look back on how you and your family coped with this.

Try to stay positive. It sounds like you're doing a great job with everything!

elephantmeg
02-02-2008, 12:03 PM
my dad had a nodule removed off his vocal coard when I was 3 and couldn't talk for 2 months. A couple weeks after his surgery I was hospitalized for 5 days with a bad stomach flu. My brother (5 1/2) honed his reading skills and telephone skills at that time. Dad would write down what he needed to say to mom on the phone. They are great memories for our family! Good for you to look for the positives!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And speedy healing!

mom2binsd
02-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Wow, you sound so positive and I hope your recovery goes well! I'm a speech therapist so I know you'll have months of therapy ahead of you..I hope you find a SLP whom you are comfortable with and be sure to ask as many questions as you need to understand what you need to do at home etc. - voice therapy can be very kinda goofy, challenging, and sometimes you're asked to do things that seem strange but hopefully in the end you will recover your voice. I loved reading your list...I'm sure my DH would love it if I temporarily lost my voice and my DD might enjoy not hearing me yell at her, yes I yell, I hate that I do but she doesn't listen always unless I yell....

Best of luck!