PDA

View Full Version : Stray cat. WWYD?

KBecks
02-01-2008, 11:01 AM
At playgroup on Wed afternoon we hear a cat, thinking it's mine, but there is a big black and white kitty sitting in our front yard, meowing loudly. S/he tried to get in the house when one group was leaving. I thought s/he was a neighbor cat, but.... probably not. Dave had put some bacon scraps out in the yard and I'm sure the cat ate those... we saw paw prints across the snow this morning that is probably the cat.

I have a cat, a sweet, aging and territorial male. We already have problems with him marking and I hate to aggrivate that (although it probably couldn't get much worse than it already is.)

OK, stray cat was gone when the final group left playgroup and I hope he had gone home. It's been very cold outside (but cats have fur).

Now that I know this is probably a stray cat (although it looked fat and healthy it could have just been the fur puffed out because of the cold).

WWYD? I could start feeding it and have and "outside" kitty. I could trap or catch it and take it to the humane society (it seemed friendly enough but we have a trap also). I am not adopting it to live inside our home although I would possibly be OK with getting it to the vet, fixed and letting it be an outside cat (so much for the bird watching and feeding though).

It could be someone's lost pet, it's friendly though it has no collar. Right now I'm thinking that feeding it and then catching it and taking it to an animal shelter (humane society or no kill shelter??) would be the best bet. The cat seemed friendly since it wanted to get in the house and if it is good with people it might be adoptable?

What would *you* do?

Thanks!! DH is out of town for the weekend and I'm not going to take any action (except for feeding and maybe providing some outside shelter) until he's back and I can have him watch the kiddos.

ETA: Local BBBers --- anyone need a cat? H/she's cute!

The cat currently has no name, but perhaps we will call it Mittens for now. Other name suggestions are welcome but let me be clear but even if I feed and give it a nickname, it is not our cat.

Moneypenny
02-01-2008, 11:24 AM
Karen,
You can call the county domestic animal control center (I can PM you the number). They can either come and try to trap the cat, or you can trap it and they will pick it up or you can drop it off at their center. Their website posts pictures of lost animals that were picked up so if he is a lost kitty, his owners can call there or look on the website to find him. They also check for a microchip and can contact the owner if it does have a chip. If he isn't claimed within a few days, he will be sent to the Humane Society to be put up for adoption.

KBecks
02-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Thank you. I found the web site for the county domestic animal control commission... and I look on their web site statistics and their report says that in October 07 84% of cats are euthanized, 3% were reclaimed and 7% are transferred (I'm assuming to the humane society for adoption)...... aaaaaaa!

I'm not sure I can do that.

Didn't you say you need a cat? ;)

ETA: I see on their web site for lost pets that they are currently holidng 74 cats. It's just so sad.

Momof3Labs
02-01-2008, 12:16 PM
I'd suggest trapping the cat and taking to the vet to check for a microchip. Then take a photo and put up some "found cat" signs. Sounds like someone's pet, and the best thing for the cat is to get him/her back home (I'm not a proponent of outdoor cats - too many hazards, plus this one sounds like it *wants* to be inside).

KBecks
02-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Yeah, I think that I can do signs and probably a craigslist listing, etc. If the cat is a pet he can't be from too far. I'll need to think about temporary housing for the cat... will need to talk Dave into setting up a space in the basement. It's going to freak out my housecat though. Maybe an enclosure in the garage would be OK.

So, that means Karen's no-kill shelter might be opening for business..... for how long?

Britt
02-01-2008, 12:48 PM
When I was in grade 7 or 8 a stray cat came to our front yard while we were outside playing. We fed her and she went away. But she came back the next two days. She wasn't afraid of us and would get close and once we figured it was okay she would let us pet and hold her. My mom took her to the shelter, but then 3 days later picked her up again to adopt her. However, her stupid owners called the shelter and wanted her back...until they found out she was pregnant. So we got to keep her. And now 8 years later, my parents still have Cookie Dough.

If you're thinking of keeping her as an outdoor cat, is there anyway that eventually you could ease her into the house like at night. Maybe if you did it gradually your other cat would get used to the idea. Or maybe you can start asking around to see if anyone you know wants a cat. Just as alternatives to the shelter. Otherwise, if you can't find anyone or the owners, you could put up flyers or a small ad in the classifieds for anyone who wants to adopt her. Hope that helps.

kellij
02-01-2008, 03:30 PM
I would call the vets in the area and see if anyone has reported a missing cat. I would also put a listing in the local newspaper. Where I live there is a lost/found section and I think it's free to list found pets. HTH! (I'm always collecting animals and then spreading them out amoungst friends and family, so I feel your pain!) :) Good luck!

Kelli

Nooknookmom
02-01-2008, 05:14 PM
no time to read the other replies but both my kitty babies are stray/ferrels. dh hated cats & these bro/sis came w/our house. Their mama had 2 litters before she was tame enough to fix -I kept one cat from ea litter.

If you can handle/want another go for it!

One of ours lives inside only & one outside mostly - we LOVE them!

Trina

s7714
02-01-2008, 06:51 PM
Do you know of any houses in your area that recently sold? It could be the cat of a new family nearby. We occasionally get a newbie cat wondering into our yard for a couple days when a family moves in somewhere in the neighborhood.

KBecks
02-01-2008, 07:17 PM
No houses sold in the immediate area, but possibly a little further away on streets we wouldn't normally travel. I put food out and a little shelter spot and we'll see if kitty comes by. I think he might have a home around here, but who would let their cat out on the most freezing day, unless he took bolted.. we'll see what happens, maybe I won't have a cat drama and that's fine!

ThreeofUs
02-01-2008, 08:27 PM
We're softies! When a mama kitty brought her older, feral kittens to live at our house, we took in the mom and TNR'd (trapped, neutered, released) the 5 kittens. We didn't want to get caught in the "to feed is to breed" cycle....

Happy 2B mommy
02-01-2008, 09:44 PM
If this poor kitty is someone's pet, they are probably frantic because of the cold. Once you trap the cat, it'll probably be easier to determine if it is someones pet (declawed or not, weight, how agreeable it is to being groomed). I agree with putting up signs with pics. All of the vets in our area will put up signs if someone loses or finds an animal. Also do a seach for no-kill shelter or check Pets911.com to find a no-kill shelter/foster program in your area/state. I personally can't take a kitty to our local humane society because of the high kill rate of cats.

All of my cats adopted me. Four years ago Tidbit found me, and like you I had an older, territorial, only male who occasionally marked. Tidbit lived in the gargage and the guest room for nearly a year before they made their peace and decided to live together. (This was all pre DD, of course).

Good Luck
Kerri

KBecks
02-01-2008, 11:10 PM
Put food and a carrier with towels out this afternoon and no sign of kitty. He didn't look that much like a stray to me to begin with, big and healthy looking, so I hope if he doesn't show up he's safe at home.